Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help determining actual date of Redskins Pennant?

I have an old Redskins pennant. It is an NFL logo in the lower left corner with the year 1967. So I was assuming it was a pennant from 1967. But someone told me that it was probably from 70-71 as the team logo for 67 was a spear. Can anyone tell me if they would know when this is from or how I could find out for sure? Thanks

Answers

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I've seen other early 70's pennants with the same "1967" NFL shield logo. I'm guessing the 1967 designation was part of the shield logo trademark available at the time. Maybe to commemorate the first Super Bowl?

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

The AFL and NFL merger began in 1966 and was a four-year process that finally ended in 1970 with the AFL essentially becoming the AFC, the NFL becoming the NFC, and the NFL being the league they played in. This is just a guess, but perhaps some marketing part of the merger came into play in 1967 and that is why the date is on those pennants?

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I don’t know for sure, the date of 1967 in NFL history is significant because it was that January that the first Super Bowl, then called the AFL-NFL World Championship, was played. In addition, March 1967 was the first time that both leagues would participate in the same draft and that fall would coincide with the first full season where the two separate leagues would have operated under one football commissioner, I believe.

In that way, it may just be to denote the first official season post merger…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Count, Thanks for the Skins info! HTTR

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.