Home U.S. Coin Forum

u1's top 10 purchases of 2022 {2023 update in comments}

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 24, 2023 10:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

As we approach the conclusion of another year, I continue a tradition of looking back and evaluating my purchases. There were some duds (I'll spare sharing those here), a few decent collector coins, and of course the highlights-that is what this thread is about.

My main focus is a box of 20 and a few of the coins on this list have found a spot there. Others are on the outside looking in; they are every bit as worthy but just did not make the cut at this point (I have debated expanding to a box of 50 or even 100 but for now I prefer the idea of 20 plus some extras). I also enjoy Morgans; even though the official box of 20 has a self imposed limit of one, that has not stopped me from picking up nice ones when they come my way (including something a little different than you might expect). And finally there is the ex-Soviet nations set, which got a more difficult spot filled plus an extra (just like the box of 20, there are some additional examples that aren't part of the main set but have a place in the collection).

The list below is organized by date of acquisition (one being the earliest purchase in 2022). Feel free to pick your favorite(s), make any general observations, or ask any questions.

(1) 1877 Trade Dollar PCGS AU 55

(2) 1878 Whipple Dollar PCGS MS 63

(3) 1881-S Morgan Dollar PCGS MS 63 (CAC)

(4) 1834 NGC AU 55 Capped Bust Half Dollar

(5) 1935-D NGC MS 67 Star Texas Commemorative Half Dollar

(6) 2011 NGC PF 69 UCAM Kyrgyzstan Silk Road 10 Som

(7) 2011 PCGS PR 69 DCAM Turkmenistan
20th Anniversary of Independence 20 Manat

(8) 1902-B PCGS Unc Detail Great Britain Trade Dollar

(9) 1883 PCGS MS 62 Hawaii Quarter

(10) 1989-S PCGS PR 68 DCAM Silver Eagle

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toning on the silver eagle looks surreal in that video. Beautiful acquisitions all around!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the trade dollar.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• justindanjustindan Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickups. Love the trade dollar!

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 1:28PM

@Cameonut said:
    I like the trade dollar.

Thank you!

It also has a connection to this forum as this was ex @Crypto by way of @mkman123 (who got it from Crypto).

The Whipple is another one that came from a fellow forum member, @coinsarefun

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the trade dollar the best, followed by the Whipple dollar. I really like the cameo contrast on the trade dollar and the fact that it’s circulated makes it more desirable in my eyes. And I’ve always wanted to get one of those Whipple dollars ever since I read about how much trouble and controversy they caused. I only saw one before at a coin show and almost bought it, I forget now why I didn’t, but I think it was because I had already went over my buying budget that day.

Mr_Spud

@DeplorableDan said:
    The toning on the silver eagle looks surreal in that video. Beautiful acquisitions all around!

Thanks! I like being able to include a video as it really can help show the colors on these toners.

@justindan said:
    Great pickups. Love the trade dollar!

Thank you! The trade dollar is certainly a special one. It took until 2022 for me to find the one that would join my collection (only had two that I recall before-one lower grade for an album and one details slabbed example that I sold since I wasn't happy with it).

@Mr_Spud said:
    I like the trade dollar the best, followed by the Whipple dollar. I really like the cameo contrast on the trade dollar and the fact that it’s circulated makes it more desirable in my eyes. And I’ve always wanted to get one of those Whipple dollars ever since I read about how much trouble and controversy they caused. I only saw one before at a coin show and almost bought it, I forget now why I didn’t, but I think it was because I had already went over my buying budget that day.

Thanks! The prooflike & cameo look is what really drew me in. I like toners but appreciate a blast white coin when it looks like this.

The Whipple Dollar is definitely a cool story. Hopefully one will be on the horizon for you in 2023.

And for those who want to learn a bit more, here is the description from so-calleddollars.com

"To some, the Whipple Dollar represents an uncompleted shell or embossed store card, lacking the back which was used for advertising. It is the belief of shell card adherents that this was one of the last embossed store cards to be made. Reason for its being unfinished, they say, was that about the time of its intended issue, the Federal government clamped down on its use because of its resemblance to the dollar and as a result it never was released. That it is patterned after the 1878-type dollar cannot be questioned, and it bears the actual denomination One Dollar and the words Legal Tender, as well as the eagle.

Those who would call it a so-called dollar refer to it as the Whipple or Bland-Allison Trade Dollar, and give it various issue dates, ranging from 1885 to 1900. Some say it was issued during the Panic of 1893 and was, therefore, depression money. Most place the date at 1896 and class it as a private issue of that campaign year, along with the Tiffany and Gorham Bryan Dollars, or with the private issues of Joseph Lesher in 1900 and 1901. Although some sources assert that the piece had a limited circulation before being prohibited by the government, others say it never was issued.

The piece was made for C. M. Whipple and Co., Westfield, MA, makers of whips, who long since have been out of business."

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice list! I LOVE that Texas commem and the Morgan and Trade Dollar are cool too. Looks like the latter might have been DMPL when it was minted!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickups!

• Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the 1902-B GB Trade$. Great toning and just has an overall great look to it!

Love your top ten list of the year. Great idea @U1chicago.

@david3142 said:
    Nice list! I LOVE that Texas commem and the Morgan and Trade Dollar are cool too. Looks like the latter might have been DMPL when it was minted!

Thanks! The Texas commem is another one where I opted for blast white and let go of a toned example I used to own because the eye appeal on this one was better.
    And crypto did mention that Trade Dollar is almost DMPL. I bet you are correct that it was DMPL when minted.

@asheland said:
    Great pickups!

Thank you!

@Inspired70 said:
    I really like the 1902-B GB Trade$. Great toning and just has an overall great look to it!

Love your top ten list of the year. Great idea @U1chicago.

Thanks!
    I was glad to find the British Trade Dollar on eBay. Having seen prices on these go way up over the last few years, I thought it would be difficult to buy one I liked. However, the details grade combined with photos that did not show the full beauty of the toning (TrueView is the Asia/Europe style of full slab, which also does not show off the color) helped me acquire this coin at a reasonable amount.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen a (near) PL Texas half, and yours is outstanding.
    Your toned-proof Eagle is to die for too.
    Nice grouping!

peacockcoins

@braddick said:
    I've never seen a (near) PL Texas half, and yours is outstanding.
    Your toned-proof Eagle is to die for too.
    Nice grouping!

Thank you!
    I had not seen a Texas like this before either. A few months after buying this one I did see two that were close (based on photos)-one was also in an NGC star holder and the other was in a PCGS holder. Both were lower grades (if I recall correctly, 65s).

And the Eagle is super cool; these proofs can acquire some nice colors!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago ... Certainly an eclectic collection... and I fully understand the attraction there... I also - in recent years - have gravitated to such coin collecting. Cheers, RickO

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful coins and a great way to review your collection!

I love all your coins. It's great to see a So-Called Dollar, British Trade Dollar, and Proof Silver Eagle!

@ricko said:
    @U1chicago ... Certainly an eclectic collection... and I fully understand the attraction there... I also - in recent years - have gravitated to such coin collecting. Cheers, RickO

Thanks! Just going after what you like opens up a lot of possibilities and is definitely a fun way to collect.

@Zoins said:
    Wonderful coins and a great way to review your collection!

I love all your coins. It's great to see a So-Called Dollar, British Trade Dollar, and Proof Silver Eagle!

Thank you! My interests span many different sections of the coin world. This might be one of the few times you see all of those coins in the same thread.

• bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not much of a blast white kinda guy but that Texas commem is absolutely gorgeous. Well deserving of that star. Thanks for sharing.

Thought I would look back at the best of 2022 and see how it held up-quite well I would say since 9 out of those 10 are still in the collection!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file