Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Let's see your favorite pickups of 2022

This year was pretty slow for me in terms of buying cards, but I did manage to pick up a big card that I had my eye on for some time (2018 Topps Update Acuna White Jersey with Bat). Another goal was to add the 1996 Topps Kobe RC base card. There are over 4K graded PSA 10's (and that number continues to grow) so there's certainly no shortage of these. Trying to find a centered copy is the real challenge, however. When Kobe passed suddenly in January of 2020, this card was at $200 in a PSA 10. During the pandemic, this card hit over 5K. Today, you can pick it up for around $800-900. And if you wait another month, I'm sure it'll be even less lol.

Comments

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    My favorite of the year:

hey DBesse27,
    That's Awesome... :)

• Options

@JakeR2234 said:
    1976 Football Rack Pack Bob Parsons (Bears) on Top and Bears Checklist (with Walter Payton's name) on Back
    Closest I'll get to an unopened 76 Payton Rack Pack

hey JakeR2234,
    Nice rack... :)

• Options

@paulb71 said:

2 hall of famers showing Schmidt on top and Carew on back

hey paulb71,
    Oh yeah... :)

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    These are the ones that stand out for me

hey Kid4hof03,
    Oh Yeah.... :)

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

I have to admit, I am not seeing anything obvious on the 81 and 82 OPC Gretzky's to knock them down to 6's.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgebailey2 said:
    I have to admit, I am not seeing anything obvious on the 81 and 82 OPC Gretzky's to knock them down to 6's.

This is another case of graders interpreting OPC “rough cut” as card wear. The blade that cut each of these cards produced some minor chipping on the back of each card. Corners are razor sharp (by OPC standards), surfaces are unblemished, and centering, especially on the 1982, is amazing. The presentation of each card is most certainly above that which we would expect of average 6s. I’m extremely happy with them.

Andy

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess my fave pick-up for this year was a 620 sports card collection. Mix of baseball , football , hockey and a couple of basketball . payed approx between $140-170 for the lot.

Game-used
    Signed
    Vintage
    Serial Numbered
    minor league
    Modern
    MLB , NBA , NFL , NHL

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    These were not my "best" nor most valuable, but were as the topic title states my favorite 2022 pickups.

Runner-ups:

Winner, My 2022 Favorite pickup - No kidding! Had one of these as a small child, then years later as teen became the source of an almost hysterical fit of laughter, nearly requiring Thorazine, between some buddies and I:

Those 1973's are beautiful!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2023 7:30PM

^ Thanks @Kid4hof03 !

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@hamilton888 said:
    Some of my favorite acquisitions this year

hey hamilton888,
    Nice racks... :)

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    DId some Yogi Berra diggin' this year......

Wow those are some amazing Yogis - congrats. Really sharp cards.

• Options

@mintonlypls said:
    This pickup is easily my best sports card purchase since I began collecting again in the early 1980s (earlier growing up in the 1960s). I won this card as a PSA-9 in a Heritage Auction in February 2022...and rolled the dice on a review although I was fairly confident it would bump to a PSA-10. It appeared exceptional for the assigned grade. Here it is in a PSA-9 holder...and now in a PSA-10. holder

Centering is perfect...inks align perfectly (registration), cut is clean (no rough cut w/associated chipping), colors are very, very bold, and the corners are razor sharp and pointy.

So hard to have a high value card get an increased grade. Congratulations!!!!!!!!

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@hamilton888 said:
    Some of my favorite acquisitions this year

Love the Boggs in Sandburg 83 rack!

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

@BigDaddyBowman said:
    Just got back into the hobby recently after a few year hiatus...so not too many additions to the collection to choose from. This is my favorite 2022 addition though.

hey BigDaddyBowman,
    That's Cool... :)

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 2:27PM

I would say these are my top 4 pickups of 2022. I hope I can be as lucky in 2023

Wow Bobby! That's an incredible year.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    IronwillIronwill Posts: 31 ✭✭

@mrburns443 said:
    My goal for 2022 was to get the rookie cards of my father’s favorite player from each sport. I was able to add 3 of them just missing a 51 Bowman Mays, but hopefully that will come soon.

What a cool idea. Great cards too.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

That is a very nice looking Clemente.