Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strange lettering on bottom of pcgs holder

PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I always wanted a 1840 seated liberty dollar. I finally broke down and recently purchased a coin off the internet from great collections.

For some reason the holders reverse looks strange like a combination of two different years.
Also, the letters LMEYXLS are etched on the bottom of the holder. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Comments

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes having seen the lettering on the bottom of the holder. There are a couple or few threads on it. If I recall correctly the consensus was that it was a manufacture code. The numbers/letters were not unique and some had slabs with the same number. I believe they were graded at the same time.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2022 3:11PM

Yes, that’s normal. I forget when they started doing it, but I have many with the etched numbers. Nice Dollar too!

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2022 3:56PM

So I just went and got my last submission. It was 10 raw coins and I have 9 of the slabs. 7 of the 9 slabs have the same code. 2 of the 9 slabs have a different code.

So the thing that is suspicious to me is that the 2 with a different number were the only 2 that got a plus (+) on the grade. Could be a coincidence. But I suspect this might be a pcgs etched code of some type. One of the 7 was a details grade and had the same code as the other 6 of the 7 total.

I will look at the previous submission if I can gather it up.

Edit: Update I found the 10th slab so it is 8 of 10 with the same code. 2 of 10 with a 2nd code but these two were the same code to each other. These two had a plus (+) grade and the others did not.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file