Home U.S. Coin Forum

1882 shield back nickel

chaim1213chaim1213 Posts: 4
edited December 26, 2022 12:46PM in U.S. Coin Forum

i gave in to pcgs for grading a nickel shield back 1882 and was not given the 1882/3 variety but there is something wrong with the 2 in the year can anyone explain what this could be?

Tagged:

Comments

• EldoEsqEldoEsq Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

I truly believe that a picture would kinda sorta help...

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impact damage.

There's a slight possibility it's a die chip.

Most likely is just a small hit on the date. Compare your example to an actual overdate. It must match EXACTLY.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chaim1213 ... Welcome aboard. Please post a picture of the coin, obverse, reverse, and a close up of the area of concern. Then you will get expert input. Cheers, RickO

@EldoEsq said:
    I truly believe that a picture would kinda sorta help...

Nah...

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many, many small flaws on the date in 1883 Shield Nickels. Your coin was apparently not one of those that are recognized as 1883/2. The reason why there are so many varieties is that Shield Nickels were put back into production after production of 1883 Liberty Head "No Cents" Nickels was halted. The mint reused some left-over 1882 dies but also made some new 1883 Shield Nickel dies as well. Production of Shield Nickels ended when the dies for the 1883 Liberty Head "With Cents" were ready.

All glory is fleeting.
  • here is clear pictures from pcgs of the coin

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin in the TrueView image appears to simply have a bunged-up date. Does PCGS even denote an 1882/3 variety? They list an 1883/2, but I don't see what you think you had. Regardless, here is your coin-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the 2 took a hit and flattened a bit

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@Steven59 said:
    Looks like the 2 took a hit and flattened a bit

Clearly I'm psychic. Lol

@291fifth said:
    There are many, many small flaws on the date in 1883 Shield Nickels. Your coin was apparently not one of those that are recognized as 1883/2. The reason why there are so many varieties is that Shield Nickels were put back into production after production of 1883 Liberty Head "No Cents" Nickels was halted. The mint reused some left-over 1882 dies but also made some new 1883 Shield Nickel dies as well. Production of Shield Nickels ended when the dies for the 1883 Liberty Head "With Cents" were ready.

There is no 82/83.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file