Home U.S. Coin Forum

Will this Bust half grade?

Thinking of sending in to get graded. Will the reverse rim hit prevent a straight grade? Thanks.

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not. There appear to be scratches in the field behind Liberty's head and a rim bump as well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a VF-35. I would expect a details grade from the edge damage because that is fairly significant.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rim bump looks pretty significant, as well as the scratches previously mentioned. XF details I think

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's with the 8 on the obverse? I can't make it out

@johnny9434 said:

It is the overdate.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2022 11:27PM

@johnny9434 said:

"...die break in upper loop of 8 almost filling it." -- U.S. Early Half Dollar Die Varieties, Parsley

Looks like an O-102a (R.2 "slightly uncommon"). Maybe someone will confirm.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• TRTR Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Thanks. The rim bump is pretty large. Might send it in to get the small 8 overdate verified even if its detail graded.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck with it and let us know how ya make out with it 🙂

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rim "damage" is not unusual on lettered edge bust halves, often due to the coin rising from the castaing table as it is cranked along the bar dies. Check the edge lettering to see if it rises and coincides with the damage spot.

The rim damage in OP's coin appears a bit excessive and is probably PMD, not "as-minted". It may be worth getting it certified anyway to validate it as a genuine 1818/7.
    Lance.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easier to look at. I would probably have it slabbed to have it labeled genuine as an 1818/7 perhaps small 8.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Thanks for cleaning up my pics. Will submit it when my 4 free collector club submissions arrive in 2 weeks and post the results.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool overdate, but no straight grade. It'll go genuine/details for sure.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably worth slabbing, but will likely get details grade XF...... Cheers, RickO

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2022 6:13AM

Some pics of 8 over 7 variety from Coin Facts

Large 8

Small 8

OP - Small 8

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2023 1:51PM

VF Details, Rim Damage. I don't think it's a "guido", but an edge photo would help in determining that. I think it's a true rim ding.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

I received the grade from PCGS as vf30 today, its not a details grade. I'll know for sure when it arrives next week. I'm not familiar with the term "guido".

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustHalfBrian said:
    VF Details, Rim Damage. I don't think it's a "guido", but an edge photo would help in determining that. I think it's a true rim ding.

Its hard to tell from pics, but I don't believe its a guido. With the straight grade it makes me think its some sort of planchet flaw.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

VF-30 is not too shabby. You are lucky it did not details. 30 is on the low end so I am sure they accounted for the damage and net graded the coin as a result.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TR said:
    The coin straight graded 18/7 small 8 vf30. Maybe the rim ding was in the minting process? It had xf details so maybe was net graded at vf30. I am happy with the coin results I got.

Looks netted. Congrats on the straight grade nonetheless.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Thanks. Fits into my collection nicely.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. I'm surprised at the straight grade, but happy for you.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2023 8:51PM

Congrats on straight grade - I like half dollar sized coins or larger.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Nice overdate! :)

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

happy it straight graded for you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file