Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone want to share their new purchases?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this for a bit over melt.

Shiny things distract me.

• Options

Also picked this up.

• Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2023 4:41AM

Royal Australian Mint's 2023 quartet of new penguin coins. Waiting on last of the 4 to arrive

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:
    A couple of arrivals (finally) from Stacks Hong Kong.

Photos shamelessly taken from PCGS/Stacks.

A Hoei era koban. Details graded for a few chopmarks. I've seen some chops make it through to a straight grade on these, but considering the price range, i was happy to get this one as a details.

And a Genbun era one too. A more modest AU53, but again, I'll take it.

I also scored on a multi coin lot--two scarcer date coins including one that was a real score, and now I have a rando kopek to dispose of. The score was a not so attractive in looks, but it was a great date. I haven't imaged it myself yet.

And this one is super cool. Hard to go wrong with a 150 year old MS67, but in actuality there are 4 varieties of this particular coin. I have the common two, and now this one. The red circle shows a blunted stroke of a character on the reverse. I've got some problem coin not slabbed somewhere with it, but to find one tucked into a super high grade slab...uber cool.

I'll have to get these imaged on my own. That last shot is from the auction and I dropped the red circle on it.

cool coins

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

The obverse dentils on this one are nuts! Very cool.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice there! This design has grown on me over the years and looks best with a bit of toning like you have or if exceptionally struck or preserved.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2023 2:02PM

This is it, the only one made.

I LAMENT E. GERMAN HERO
    The medalist Ludwig Gies. One-sided AR cast medal (1915). By Ludwig Gies. Av.: ICH BEKLAGE E. DEUTSCHEN HELDEN, flying angel with pickelhaube and wreath to the right, signed on the eyelet LG. Original eyelet. Hallmark on reverse. 800. 42 x 33 mm. Weight: 15,72 g. Of the greatest rarity!

• Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Got this one last week from ebay. Good for a lower budget guy like me.

• Options

@wybrit said:
    Here's a raw newbie. It was shipped to me by Fedex May 9. It didn't move for weeks. Backstory: the label fell off the envelope. Pictures were sent, the package opened (completely), coins were matched to the pictures, a new label was put on and put back in the system. Ultimately, just glad it arrived May 31 undamaged.

"When it absolutely, positively has to be..."

That is a truly lovely specimen sir and perhaps as nice as I have seen, and glad it you have it in hand. Will you be grading it?

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    Interesting to compare to the US dollar coin design in 1935....

Beautiful example and I continue to believe that GV UK issues are underrated.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭

That is a truly lovely specimen sir and perhaps as nice as I have seen, and glad it you have it in hand. Will you be grading it?

Probably later in the year- I will wait for a few other pieces before submitting.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two recent pick-ups from Heritage/Europe. I was interested in 4 lots. As you
    can tell by the CRAPPY photos it was hard to place accurate bids. I asked the
    auction company for better photos and what they sent weren't any better.
    I placed my bids and held my breath. I won these two.

1479 III-115

1488 III-193
    The 1479 is a nice coin, contrary to what you see in these pics.
    The 1488 is not much nicer than the pics.
    These are Heritage/Europe pics.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2023 5:19PM

@Cladiator said:
    Saw this one come available recently and couldn't resist. Just got it home today. It's a Pop 0/1/0 at PCGS lol.

Wow! What a wonderful and surprising Pop 0/1/0 coin!

At F12, it can certainly qualify for the following thread!

What is the lowest PCGS graded top pop 1/0 coin?

I don't know much about this coin. Is this generally rare or just rare at PCGS?

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    >

Wow! What a wonderful and surprising Pop 0/1/0 coin!

At F12, it can certainly qualify for the following thread!

What is the lowest PCGS graded top pop 1/0 coin?

I don't know much about this coin. Is this generally rare or just rare at PCGS?

I don't think the issue is rare itself. I think it's just a matter of folks not having sent any in to PCGS.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this last week

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

Bob13 asks: “Anybody else win anything from the recent Kuenker auctions?”

No, but I received a full set of auction catalogs from Kuenker on the final afternoon of the multi-day auction. 🤬 My bad for not staying alert online I suppose.

Bob those are some attractive Italian States pieces, well selected!

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something different, from Bessarabia (Moldova). My father once told me that the family emigrated there, from Germany, at the behest of the czar of the time. Doubt that they were there that long as my progenitors left for the United States around 1890, probably in light of the pogroms that were increasing, at the time. Anyway, it is fun to say that my family is from Bessarabia and then explain what that is!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

@harasha my grandmother was born in Leipzig, Kreis Akermann, Bessarabia. Her village sits just over the border in the Ukraine. The land was split between Moldova and the Ukraine. To make this post about currency it cost 200 rubles per adult and 150 rubles for minors to make the crossing. One cousin told the story of receiving a kopek coin to take to America as a remembrance.

Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    A package arrived from CRO today. Here's one of the items that was inside. My second 1776 coin, super excited about it.

Love it! What is your other 1776?

• Options

• Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Not really new but...

Peace.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2023 12:04PM

If you look earlier in the thread, I had previously purchased 1921 Notgeld piece made of nickel plated zinc for its wildman motif. I wanted to get the whole set.

These coins showed up yesterday - they look pristine! Only the 3 mark was even illustrated in the catalog, so feel like I got pretty lucky there. The rest could have been circulated or a little corroded (like my PCGS62 above).

They also had a few of the pieces in Silver, and I went after two of these. Now wish I had gotten them all - the toning is pretty colorful.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

I like gold coins that are rare but cool looking. Added these 2 coins within the last few weeks.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Theodosius I solidus is due to arrive by mail tomorrow. Part of my "1 per century" set as 4th Century AD..

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

From Baldwin today, 1842 Halfcrown upgrade: