Home Metal Detecting
Options

A Confession, a "What the Heck is That?", and Further Adventures.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Made it out for the first time in several weeks today, back at the old park. This time, I decided to hit a large strip of grassy area that runs down to a nearby creek landing. The area was “hot” as I seemed to be hitting quarter after quarter, with the occasional dime sprinkled in. Sure, there was memorial copper, but the quarters… it was as if someone took a handful and threw them across the clearing. There was one interesting find… a spot that had 11 quarters in it… one shallow hole. Makes me wonder who would just drop nearly $3 in quarters I one spot and just leave them?
    Anyway… yes , there was some silver. After nearly giving up any hope of finding old silver after the onslaught of clad, I finally hit a spot that was pinging a 26-27 on the Nox @ 5-6 inches down.

The group after a little cleanup… the Merc had already suffered a couple of rim nicks/dings many years ago.

The quarter & dime tally…

Keep up the hunt!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must have a spot where nobody has hunted When you dig in parks with a 6-8 inch diameter hole does the parks director give you and grief for all of the poke a dot brown spots that happen in a week or so. Two of my favorite parks no longer allow detecting there for that reason. I used a screw driver so they let me continue for awhile then they banned all detecting

• Options

@pocketpiececommems said:
    You must have a spot where nobody has hunted When you dig in parks with a 6-8 inch diameter hole does the parks director give you and grief for all of the poke a dot brown spots that happen in a week or so. Two of my favorite parks no longer allow detecting there for that reason. I used a screw driver so they let me continue for awhile then they banned all detecting

While I may have found an area that’s seen little or no prior detecting, I’ve never had the issues you note… not with park personnel, nor with “brown spots” resulting from any digs.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

A little preview from yesterday afternoon’s hunt… enjoying the 55+ degree weather.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

I’m behind on updates… here are the silver and wheatie finds from Friday’s hunt. There were also a few from this morning to share…

Friday’s tally… a bonus was the sterling silver ring.

From this morning’s brief hunt, before the rain set in. I hit the 1st dime under a bush, and the 2nd dime popped up concealed in the plug along with a @ 3” nail. The pinpointer initially keyed on the nail, and while extricating it, the dime slipped out onto the ground in the grass. It wasn’t until after I replaced the plug and did a follow-up swing did the Nox re-ping on the dime… almost left that one on the field of play. The final find was the stem to a sterling silver baby spoon, broken off from the “scooper” part many years ago.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liked “Follow up swing “. Always do that. Never know when there’s more than one

• Options

The line up from Sunday’s hunt. The spoon stem has “Creed Sterling” stamped on its underside.

This was the 2nd ‘61-D Rosie within a week. The middle wheatie is dated 1917.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

Some mornings are like a grind… finding Memorial cent after Memorial cent, with clad dimes and quarters sprinkled in every few pings. Then you come across an area with a wheatie here and there. Anticipation starts to build, and when you pull the plug and catch a sliver of flash, a glint. You see it glisten, and you know you’ve found it…

Out of the hole…

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

Here are the totals from Monday’s hunt. The wheaties had been in the soak for several days as I’ve been remodeling the master bath. There are a couple of teens and twenties in the mix…

Keep up the hunt!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

Got around to sync’ing up with a property owner that I’ve been corresponding with to secure permission to hunt their rental property - a 1927 build. Turned out to be a pretty okay 3-hour hunt.

Boom

Boom

And boom!

Keep up the hunt!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

Rolled out of work a couple hours early to take in the mid-60 temps and try to finish up on Sunday’s hunt. I hit a number of clad and memorial copper, with the random wheatie thrown in here & there. Among them, I hit a deep target (8”+) that was giving off a dime signal. When I pulled it out, I couldn’t really make out what it was. I knew it was silvery-looking and might be something of interest, so I put it in the “keeper bag” instead of the trash pile. It wasn’t until I returned home that I realised what it was… making out the faint outline of Washington’s profile on what’s left of the obverse. I’m I glad I didn’t toss it!

A bit more cleaned up, with today’s wheatie clan….

It’s definitely not clad and looks like it had a bullet put through it prior to making its way into Mother Earth many years ago.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

Been a few weeks since I’ve been able to get out. The mid-Atlantic has seen quite a bit of rain over tha least two weeks, so everything has been a bit of a slop. I did manage to hit a permission today. Usually I focus on properties that date to the 1930’s or earlier, but today I had a 1949 build lined up. I’m usually “snobbish” about such “young” properties, but I felt like it had potential based on the original yard and sidewalk/walkways - besides, I know the owner, so that made it an easy decision. On to the finds — of course, I found a healthy number of memorial copper, clad and a couple of wheaties out front, but that was it… until I ventured into the back yard. After rolling up a number of wheatie hits, the 800 started chirping on a deep quarter tone. In goes the shovel, out comes the plug, and… the bright white rim was unmistakeable…

After working it free from the plug..

A couple more wheaties, a couple more memorials, with some clad here and there, the 800 then landed on a deep 28-29 readout….

Everything is now in the wash. All in all, a good day - keep up the hunt!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

Results from yesterday’s hunt. The ‘56 Lincoln was found in a sandy area, not too deep… probably dropped less than 15-20 yrs ago. It’s the only wheatie that still retains some respectable surface qualities.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

I bailed from work early this glorious afternoon for a quick medical appointment, which left some time to venture out to a 1924 build lined up. Even though most of the previous two months were very wet n soggy, it didn’t keep me from getting out to make contacts for future hunts. This property was a bit under-maintained with lots of mud in spots, but I pushed through. Glad I did… finds we’re limited in number, but I did hit one of my favorite designs in the back yard…

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what is the date of the SLQ?

From the photos you posted it appears to be in much better condition than the usual dateless cull SLQ that is posted quite often on the Forums. The top photo showing the obverse of the coin reveals that the coin has full, sharp rims, plus "LIBERTY" is bold and 100% present.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    So what is the date of the SLQ?

From the photos you posted it appears to be in much better condition than the usual dateless cull SLQ that is posted quite often on the Forums. The top photo showing the obverse of the coin reveals that the coin has full, sharp rims, plus "LIBERTY" is bold and 100% present.

From the first pic. it looks like a recessed date 1920s coin.

Post No. 513

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options

Here’s the quarter (1929) and wheaties from yesterday’s hunt. It’s only the 2nd SLQ I’ve recovered with a full date out of 7-8 found since I began detecting almost 3 years ago, the other being a 1920 in XF/AU that I recovered right along the front yard sidewalk approach of a 1915 build.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

A quick photo dump from this morning’s hunt…

I also recovered what I initially thought was a small button, but turned out to be what looks like an ancient silver coin… Greek maybe?… maybe a contemporary copy, but seems to have the look and weight of silver…. Photos pending.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

Here’s the group of silver and wheaties, post bath/rinse. The first Rosie had a nail buried over it. The Nox was pinging a variable tone, more along the cent range, but it was in an area where I had just pulled a couple of wheaties. When I pulled the plug, the pinpointer keyed on the nail. It wasn’t until I cleared the plug when I pinpointed the hole, which made it light up on the dime just below the surface at the bottom.

I have my doubts as to whether the “ancient” is authentic… likely a contemporary copy. I do think it’s silver though, as it’s heavy… heavier than a dime and rings up in the 28-29/silver dime range.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

Decided to take the day off to go to the Baltimore show today, but before that, I rolled out early to hit some old sidewalk strips up in ye ‘ole Charm City. While I hit very few wheaties, I did roll up a couple of Mercs… which I initially thought were the typical toasted clad Rosie. I had to do a double take on them both…. Rarely have I encountered such toasted silver.
    Merc #1

Merc #2

Together with a couple of clad Rosies I also found today:

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2024 6:41PM

Mercs n wheaties after a few hours in the soak, rinse then air dry. If it wasn’t for both dime’s reverse, I’d be inclined to think they were clad.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2024 5:08PM

This morning’s hunt… plus a dozen or so wheaties in the soak.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

@CharlotteDude said:
    Here’s the group of silver and wheaties, post bath/rinse. The first Rosie had a nail buried over it. The Nox was pinging a variable tone, more along the cent range, but it was in an area where I had just pulled a couple of wheaties. When I pulled the plug, the pinpointer keyed on the nail. It wasn’t until I cleared the plug when I pinpointed the hole, which made it light up on the dime just below the surface at the bottom.

I have my doubts as to whether the “ancient” is authentic… likely a contemporary copy. I do think it’s silver though, as it’s heavy… heavier than a dime and rings up in the 28-29/silver dime range.

Looks like a (imitation of a) 5th century Drachm or Didrachm from Athens.
    Perhaps you could bring the coin to a local coin shop and ask them to authenticate the coin or at least the material. I'm pretty sure it's not authentic, but I'm not a expert and probably somebody lost his or her trasured pocket piece.
    The 1st century BC celtic bronze stater in my profile picture was a metal detecting find, too, and it turned out to be authentic.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2024 5:21PM

Thanks G. I think the AOE is a Slavey copy… looks very close to this example.. still silver, so I’m cool with it:

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2024 5:32PM

All in from Sunday’s hunt. I guess I underestimated the number of wheaties pulled. If I could only find a Merc for every wheatie, I’d be set! A pair of dollar coins also, along with the typical amount of clad and memorial cents. Most of the wheaties are from the 40’s & 50’s, with a 1918 & 1919 sprinkled in.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you hunting permissions exclusively? I'm trying to get a list of them lined up, trying old churches and businesses with old houses with few responses via email. Going to have to start knocking on doors!

• Options

I’d say 80% are permissions with a few old parks and sidewalk/median strips sprinkled in between.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

@CharlotteDude said:
    If I could only find a Merc for every wheatie, I’d be set! A pair of dollar coins also, along with the typical amount of

Heck,,, even one Merc per every 5 wheaties would be awesome!

• Options

@CharlotteDude said:
    Mercs n wheaties after a few hours in the soak, rinse then air dry. If it wasn’t for both dime’s reverse, I’d be inclined to think they were clad.

CharlotteDude,
    Seems like you are going digging pretty regularly. What machine(s) are you swinging? My current fleet consists of A Nox 600, Teknetics T2SE, Whites MXT and I still swing a Tesoro Compadre every now and then. I regretfully traded my Anfibio Multi for the Nox. For most of my digging I use the MXT with a small concentric coil, but I do enjoy the Nox for beach hunting. I am mostly a town detectorist with a few county parks included. I dig a good bit of coins and some jewelry, but nothing special really. I have dug 3 Civil War buttons, which are some of my favorite finds.

I would make the assumption you reside in Charlotte NC,,,, but I am not in GA. anymore,, so no assumptions here.

Happy Hunting Sir!

Jason

• Options

I’ve been swinging an Equinox 800 over the last year. I still have a Garrett AT Pro, and both Equinox 600 & 900, but prefer the 800 even over the 900. I’ve heard good things about the Equinox Manticore, so I’m thinking about expanding to that next. I grew up in SE NC, along the coast. Still have family there, so I often find myself in the area often. Some of my first B&M shop visits were in the Wilmington area… where I first learned about Charlotte gold… and that’s where it all started. .

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

Seems like it’s been over a month since I last ventured out to sling the Nox around… well, actually more like a couple of weeks. Following a moderate span of travel, entertaining visitors and uncooperative weather, I managed to eke out a couple of hours this morning in the glorious sunshine. I revisited an old dairy farm I had previously hunted a couple years ago. During my previous hunts near the main house, I uncovered two Barber dimes and two WWII silver nickels, among other things. Today, I focused on one of the main barn areas. While I hit a good share of old bolts, washers and nuts… I did hit a few wheaties, and this…

All is in the soak… more to follow.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

After power washing the driveway this evening, I was finally able to get the quarter and wheaties through a final rinse and dry. Old George looks like he’d been around the block a few times before landing in his final resting place over the last few decades.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

1934 quarters have an interesting wide rim even in well circulated condition. Unique in the series. I still do not have a 34-D from detecting.
    My buddy found one with me hunting many years ago, but still a hole in my album. Keep up the hunt and the posts. good luck.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2024 3:23PM

A couple of hours after a shortened day at work allowed for a little time to sling the Nox at my wife’s co-worker’s home, built sometime prior to 1900. County records list it as built in 1900, but the owner contends it was built well before that. Either way, some interesting finds for sure. No action shots, as no silver was found (yet), but definitely something for the copper crowd, along with a strange 5 Deutschmark coin. The Large Cents date 1818 & 1827. One note… I uncovered well over 50 wheaties on this property, with one very hot spot yielding a 30+ coin spill - most dates being in the 20’s and 30’s. The predominate date: 1937.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 388 ✭✭✭✭

Yo @CharlotteDude you really be banging em out of the ground I live in a good historical area but it has just been over developed wish I was swinging a coil back in the 80's or early 90's. I was told the 70's were the best times for detecting but I was too young then

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

No action shots, as no silver was found (yet)

I don't know what percentage it is, but; that 5 DM looks like silver to me

• Options

@Bayard1908 said:

No action shots, as no silver was found (yet)

I don't know what percentage it is, but; that 5 DM looks like silver to me

I think you’re right Bayard. I wasn’t aware at the time, but according to online sources, it’s composed of .625 silver.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

I managed to depart a bit early to resume the hunt at the 1900 build. I only had a couple of hours to squeeze in a good scan of an area adjacent to the neighboring property. The area had what must’ve been a huge tree that is now long gone, save for only a large stump. I focused my search in this area, finding a couple wheaties, and then hitting this…

…which also included a wheatie in the plug, and less than a foot from it, the Nox lit up on another high signal…

Having found two silver quarters in roughly the same place, I focused on about a 20 x 20 foot area, swinging the Nox in a cross-section (north-south) grid over the same area I had just covered. It wasn’t long before the Nox lit up on a spot that didn’t register at all when I was swinging earlier in an east-west pattern. Upon pulling the plug, this popped out…

A good day indeed… Everything in the soak.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like that might be a Type 1

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

@Bayard1908 said:
    Looks like that might be a Type 1

Definitely.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options

Here’s the group of better finds after a soak n dry. When I pulled that last silver quarter out, I knew it was a Standing Lib, and could tell it was very worn. I figured the date would be illegible, but after the first rinse, I knew it was a Type 1. Let the research and photo comparisons begin…, and so I came to the conclusion that it’s NOT a 1916… boy, would that have been an awesome find! Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take a 1917 SLQ found out in the wild any day…

Got Crust....y gold?