Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What exactly happened in the 70's...

What really happened at the mints in the 70's? (or 80's) Ex. The quarter struck on a half eagle. Is there any specific people involved? I would really like to know more about it. I'm sorry if this has already been discussed as I'm to lazy to look through past posts ;) .

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quarter struck on a half eagle. Is there any specific people involved?

Well shanigans from Mint Employees, for fun or profit, will never stop - no matter what year it is.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1962, the San Francisco facility was downgraded from a Mint to an Assay Office, yet continued to mint U.S. coins. I would imagine that staff and budget cuts (including security) went along with this change. It did not become a Mint again until 1988.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall ugly clothing (polyester), disco, rock concerts, playing basketball in high school & college, partying, hanging out with friends and drinking lots and lots of beer.

While mostly doing the above, I still also collected some coins (a few of which I still have today, including this one).

BTW, I do not know what happened at the Mints during the 1970s (I did take an elementary school field trip to the Denver mint in the spring of the year 1964 Peace dollars were minted; wish a mint employee had gifted me one of those coins :) )

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't there some suspected hanky panky involving "No S" coins?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Psychedelics.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2022 6:22PM

@WAYNEAS said:
    Psychedelics.
    Wayne

Agreed. But nothing like the summer of 67&68&69&70. High school had a whole new meaning. Living in Santa Rosa, the Fillmore West and Winterland were less than an hour away 🙃

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, this was the 80's. Anyone know what crack cocaine looks like?? 😂 😂

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Yup. And cocaine didn’t help 😂

But then again it didn't hurt! - :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:
    In 1962, the San Francisco facility was downgraded from a Mint to an Assay Office, yet continued to mint U.S. coins. I would imagine that staff and budget cuts (including security) went along with this change. It did not become a Mint again until 1988.

SF stopped striking coins in 1955 and I believe resumed in 1965. It did not use mint marks until 1968 because of the general mint mark freeze.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2022 6:52PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    Well, this was the 80's. Anyone know what crack cocaine looks like?? 😂 😂

Looks about right, if memory serves me well but not even enough to go with the Cuervo for long. 1 quart to 1 gram 😂. Just sayin 😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

What exactly happened in the 70's...

Hmmm... exactly, don't know but here is a small sample.

Could this have had some influence on the coin(s)?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file