Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Members Only Show Report

lermishlermish Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I flew to Vegas for the day to attend the show. My main reason was to submit coins for various services; it was literally cheaper to fly down from Northern California than to ship the coins registered to SoCal.

As many have mentioned in the past, this was a smaller, quieter show. But I enjoyed it! There was no rush chatting with dealers and other attendees and I had a really good time.

There wasn't a ton of inventory and most of it was swapping hands between dealers. Prices were very reasonable I thought. I did manage to find three coins for my type set that were exactly what I was looking for. Special thanks to Mark from Mark's Coins; I had asked him about a FEC. He couldn't find the coin he had just made in his inventory but he tracked me down as I was submitting coins to let me know he found it. It was exactly what I was looking for and I ended up buying it.

I chatted with Ben the Coin Geek, Seth from Witter coins, Andy from Angel Dee's, Jim from Rockin Coins, and several others. Everyone was pleasant and relaxed; I liked the vibe!

I caught the end of breakfast and they were just setting up lunch as I was leaving. Food looked reasonable but pretty standard for convention food. I did not notice any hot dogs.

The PCGS staff was very busy with submissions the whole time I was there but the ladies at the desk were pleasant and efficient.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this show for those who like to socialize in a relaxed atmosphere. It probably isn't the best show for a tough or eclectic shopping list.

Comments

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting that it was cheaper submission then sending,
    also you don't have to worry about shippers near christmas (once you gave coins to them).

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    also you don't have to worry about shippers near christmas (once you gave coins to them).

I know someone who flew to/from the show from central California on a SouthWest special and it was $29 plus tax each way. IIRC.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• lermishlermish Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

@davewesen said:

I know someone who flew to/from the show from central California on a SouthWest special and it was $29 plus tax each way. IIRC.

@lilolme said:

@davewesen said:

@lilolme said:

@davewesen said:

@lilolme said:

@davewesen said:

Mine is ~$100 roundtrip. Registered mail with insurance for two boxes of coins is $160. Easy choice.

• spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to the one earlier this summer. I had the same experience... And learned a lot there from the dealers, and way more since then.

I half considered going to this one but decided I have other priorities (like making my mortgage 😅).

Glad you enjoyed it! I would certainly conside attending another especially if I have a batch of coins to submit. I'm only 2 hours from Vegas so it's just a day trip for me.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report! Flying to a PCGS show is something to consider. Did they provide a list of dealers?

@DisneyFan said:
    Great report! Flying to a PCGS show is something to consider. Did they provide a list of dealers?

Thanks! I looked but couldn't find anything posted in advance or a map because it is just one room. All of the big auction houses were there and some reasonably large size dealers.

• spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

When I went earlier this year there was no such list. I'd say maybe 30 dealers or so. Pretty small overall but very relaxed atmosphere.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would like to go someday, but I’m not a member.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a great experience.

I have to ask though, how did you happen to choose an 1806 LC for your type set? That’s a tough date in a grade most date set collectors would love to have.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, @lermish. I’ve been following the Coin Geek’s posts as well.

Any plans to attend either of the Bay Area shows this weekend (Sac or South SF)?

Tim

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report, I've always loved these shows! I'm overdue to go back to one. I've found many a coin at a member show that never made it to a website or online inventory, and Mark has been the source for quite a few of them.

That 1806 cent is a prize, it took me many years to find one I liked for my date set.

@Walkerguy21D I was looking specifically for a DB cent. If I got lucky and found a 1799 in 1-3 I would have spent for it so I could do a 1799 mint set in addition to my type set. Other than that, I was looking for a VFish example. The dealer I bought this from had just made a bunch of really nice copper (beautiful fugio in 45) and I liked the coin. A better date was just a lucky coincidence.

@pointfivezero I will be at the Sac show on Sunday!

@ElmerFusterpuck Thanks:)

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2022 6:26PM

Very exciting! I was in Vegas last week and wish I could have stayed to attend, but alas, I'll need to wait to another time!

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Funny how flying to the show is cheaper than shipping off the coins. Nice pickups too.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish... Thanks for the show report. Nice FEC for sure. Cheers, RickO

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Would like to go someday, but I’m not a member.

you can buy or renew membership there - last time I went, submitted 8 coins with coupon just got

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a show I would enjoy attending.
    Nice pick ups as well! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file