Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does the reverse of this Seated quarter appear double struck?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might just be my eyes, yet it appears double-struck.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, though there are other possible explanations. Let’s see the other side and the edge.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

hmm. i'm gonna guess the other side is a love token? braddick likes surprising us. ;)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, that's the quad wing variety ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    hmm. i'm gonna guess the other side is a love token? braddick likes surprising us. ;)

I do!
    Yet alas, I was only sent this one side of the coin.
    I will alert the sender and inquirer I will need to see the obverse for a complete diagnosis.

peacockcoins

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does!!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of arrowheads.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

Obverse:

peacockcoins

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks double struck, but also looks like could be a counterfeit

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

First I don't know anything about this so basically just observing and asking questions.

If double struck (and not a problem as potentially noted above), then it would appear to be either struck and then rotated CW or then rotated CCW.

Looking at the lettering U of United is touching wing for the lower U and then the other U above it. The other letters are a little jumbled together but at the end the two D's and for States the two initial S and the A. America the foot of the E is in the R and at the end the double A and a little of the double weak C.

Looking at the shield and comparing to a normal one, then the upper right and left corners of the shield touch the periphery of the wing to body/neck. With this shield it would appear to match up with the lower of the two wings on the viewers right and the upper of the two wing on the viewers left.

One for comparison.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unrelated, but it looks like someone tried to erase the date? Odd to see black rectangle box around the date.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reverse definitely looks double struck. The obverse doesn't seem to fit though.
    I'm not an error guy so I will wait for someone with more expertise than I in that area.
    Very cool though.
    You always come up with some interesting stuff.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2022 7:12PM

Rotated then struck again obverse looks slightly off center.. But if that were the case the obverse would also be rotated and double stuck. Can we see the edge?

edited to add the obverse has doubling of some kind on the base...

• Options

@braddick said:
    Obverse:

21,000th post in case you didn't notice

Young Numismatist

• Options

Would love to know weight and specific gravity.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Bowtie Fantastic!!!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not double struck, I don't think. The whole thing is off.

• Options

Possibilities:
    1. Die struck counterfeit from impact dies where the false die was grossly doubled during the impacting.
    2. Genuine coin used to sink a false die with rotation of the false die between impacts.

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was double struck in collar the obverse would show some similar doubling. I think it is a counterfeit.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glue/lacquer on obverse?

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking counterfeit.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterfeit.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bogus and a bit fugly, jmo

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just looking at the pictures, it looks phony to me.... Poor attempt at counterfeit... I would bet the weight is off... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file