Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football
    Softball

Haven't played any sport since 2011 though

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

In High School I thought I'd give being a jock a shot. Sooo, went out for the football team. It was very, VERY short lived. One afternoon at practice I was tackled head on by a star on the team named Tommy Posnick, a name I could not forget, ever. I thought I was gonna die and that immediately ended by High School career, and getting that much envied football (hot stuff) sweater to strut around the hallways with. No sweater for me, but no broken bones either.

Baseball and softball for me. We used to play a very rudimentary softball game every afternoon while in Vietnam. Every day was HOT, and we played for at least 2 hours, then we took a "shower", really just a gravity dripping water thing from a 50 gallon drum. We mostly worked 12 hour days, 7 days a week. Crazy when I think about it.

Poker, who many, including me believe it to be a sport, of which I did exceptionally well at, especially while playing the rainbow chasers. Comes to mind...worst beat I ever had was losing with 4, 9s to 4, Aces...stunning!!

There was another "sport" I did manage to do very well at, but perhaps best not mentioned here. B)B) This particular sport was much, much more enjoyable.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I played organized soccer, baseball and football at different times, but lacrosse is what I most enjoyed.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hockey

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Hockey

Street, pond, basement, or organized ?

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rough House Basketball was very fun.

I played it in middle school, in the boys gym, during the winter season. I played this during the 1968-1969 and 1969-1970 school years for 7th and 8th grade.

Rough house basketball was played 5 on 5 in a half court set. In addition to playing basketball, this game included as aspect of football. Namely whoever has possession of the basketball was fair game and could be tackled.

It was pretty brutal, but it definitely resulted in very quick ball movement. If you held onto the ball for more than a second you were likely to be tackled to the gym floor (lots of floor burns was the result). So you passed the ball quickly, or you shot the ball very quickly.

Some boys would want the ball and enjoyed having it in their hands. Other boys wanted nothing to do with the ball and would avoid touching it at all costs. Other boys enjoyed playing defense and trying their hardest to tackle the offensive player that had the ball.

It probably would not be allowed to be played today, for multiple reasons.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 1:15PM

@Goldenage said:

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Hockey

Street, pond, basement, or organized ?

Street hockey was never a good skater. Up here in Canada back in the 1980's and early 1990's that is what we did as kids in every city all over the country. I am sure it was the same prior to the 1980's but I was not born.

My favorite player was Mario Lemieux yes Gretzky was playing but for me the Penguins were my team. Now I root for Edmonton with Connor McDavid.

We also played basketball a lot but hockey was #1 for sure.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 3:02PM

grammar school football & high school wrestling... B)

and A Lot of Whiffle baseball

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 3:02PM

Basketball and touch football were the best when I was a kid.

I worked my tail off at baseball when I was 6 to 10 years old, but had no talent. A bad Little League experience didn’t help. Nine kids got to play. Everyone else sat on the bench for every game no matter how lop sided the score was. I have no good memories concerning Little League.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball at high levels through high school. Football in high school also but baseball was my passion! In my later years I played organized softball at high levels, I actually played competitively in a mens softball league at Mills Pond Park in Ft Lauderdale against a team that featured both of the Canseco brothers. I don't play in any organized leagues any longer but it will always be in my blood!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 7:05PM

Football!.....Nothing Like It.....Nothing Comes Close ......NOTHING!
    🏈

Football #1
    Track &Field #2
    Baseball #3
    Basketball.....Sucky Game....YUK!....

Hockey?.....I have been to 2 hockey matches......Anaheim Ducks and the Long Beach Ice Dogs.......Most ridiculous sport I've ever seen!......Right up there with soccer...Just a bunch of guys bumping into each other!.....BUT!....at the Ice Dogs match there was a VERY ATTRACTIVE... young lady sitting about 5 seats over from me that would pull up her shirt and FLASH her 2 best assets 😳 every time the players would be bumping into each other and hitting each other over the head around the net with those stupid sticks...She was HOT!......I had front row seats!!!!.....So,....She was worth the price of admission!!!!!......

OH, BABY!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hockey then football.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Team Sport - Basketball
    Individual Sport - Bicycle Road Racing #1, Tennis #2

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 8:06PM

@BillJones said:

........ Nine kids got to play. Everyone else sat on the bench for every game no matter how lop sided the score was. I have no good memories concerning Little League.

Bill, young people now have no idea what little league was like long ago. Not good. Nine kids played..... every one else sat on the bench....Very discouraging for the bench warmers.....I've coached little league off and on since 1969. I started as a teenager. I've got a team right now.... I love it.....Nothing better than teaching the boys baseball!.... Now?....Everyone plays..... everyone gets at least one at bat......It's better that way!......Batter Up!

I Love it!....

I Owe It All To....

TEDDY BALLGAME ...AMERICAN HERO....

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best sport was tennis but I had the most fun playing was floor hockey with my friends.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2022 5:03AM

@Hydrant said:

@BillJones said:

........ Nine kids got to play. Everyone else sat on the bench for every game no matter how lop sided the score was. I have no good memories concerning Little League.

Bill, young people now have no idea what little league was like long ago. Not good. Nine kids played..... every one else sat on the bench....Very discouraging for the bench warmers.....I've coached little league off and on since 1969. I started as a teenager. I've got a team right now.... I love it.....Nothing better than teaching the boys baseball!.... Now?....Everyone plays..... everyone gets at least one at bat......It's better that way!......Batter Up!

I Love it!....

I Owe It All To....

TEDDY BALLGAME ...AMERICAN HERO....

The rotten manager of the team I was on was noted for “championship teams” in a neighboring towns. Little League had a rule where the coach could substitute players in the middle innings and bring back the starters at the end.

One coach out of the six teams in the town league did that regularly. The rest didn’t, but none of them played only nine players the way my coach did. He made one substitution when I was there, and that was when a kid got slightly injured. As soon as that kid felt better during the game, he went back in.

That coach got let go when he was found knocked out behind a local bar after he hit on somebody else’s wife. By then my father had pulled me out of the organization after I had sat for most of the season and never got into a game.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

baseball and basketball for me.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whiffle ball

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

There was another "sport" I did manage to do very well at, but perhaps best not mentioned here. B)B) This particular sport was much, much more enjoyable.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    My best sport was tennis but I had the most fun playing was floor hockey with my friends.

I also played something we called "floor hockey".

• Options

hey @thisistheshow
    1979-80... B)

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2022 5:52PM

@thisistheshow said:

@Tabe said:

I also played something we called "floor hockey".

Ours was played in an elementary school gym with racquetballs instead of pucks. No windup above the waist on slap shots. I generally played goalie. It was a lot of fun. That was junior and senior year of high school.

• Options
    edited December 9, 2022 6:14PM

My sophomore year in gym class we played tennis in Cal Park {South Side Chicago} anyway I used the tennis racquet like a baseball bat like I was Babe Ruth or something hitting the tennis ball over the fence thinking I was in a home run derby contest…
    That same year in gym class we were playing intramural flag football and the girls where the quarterbacks and me on the D-line was the edge counter 1 mississippi 2 mississippi well after 10 mississippi’s me being me rushed and sacked the quarterback, my football intensity was in a high gear and I kind of forgot that it was intramural flag football…
    Um the next year intramural flag football was banned…

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I played FB and rugby in college, but my all time favorite was

Indoor dodge ball on rainy days in high school. Without a doubt.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football and baseball. Our neighborhood group put our brand on both. We waited till the field was muddy then went out and played tackle in it. On baseball we played it with a golf ball. That "baseball" traveled quite far.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Batting practice played with superballs at the local elementary school or middle school was fun.

Many times we hit the superballs over the 2-3 story high school building.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a Hall of Fame Tennis player, so Tennis was my funnest sport to play.
    Also had alot of fun playing..
    Baseball
    Football
    Basketball

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tabe @GroceryRackPack The game I played was quite different than the one you played. I have an older cousin I am still close to. We still joke about some of our times playing this. It was played one on one. On your knees, any sized space. Define the goals. Your hands are the sticks. The puck is toilet paper or paper towels balled up and wrapped in tape. Depending on where you play it, there is a lot of rebound action. It can get fun and that puck flies (or at least it feels like it's flying when it hits you in the face, lol). I have played it with my own kids. They were very skeptical at first but always had fun.

• Options

when the warehouse guys were playing "tape dodge ball" I was a slightly bad influence on them...
    told em to wrap the ball a little more with some red safety flags and a little more duct tape - as time progressed the ball become bigger and bigger; told em to start wrapping the ball up with shrink wrap and then another layer of duct tape, and then told em to cut down 10 2" x 2",s to about 12" so that's when we started a bowling tourney in one of the warehouses... :)