Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1955/55 Lincoln. What would you grade this?

Comments

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a 64 (head scratches) if there is some luster remaining. Hard to comfortably grade from the pics.

I don’t know enough to determine if it’s authentic.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    From these photos I grade this as a fake, with better close-ups of the rev diagnostic I might have a different opinion.

That was my first thought too.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check for two faint die scratches leading downward from the left bar of the T in CENT on the reverse to establish authenticity. These are two nearly vertical die-polishing lines that form a compressed letter X just left of the T in cent. These lines may be difficult to see on worn or cleaned coins. One die state does not show them at all.

Some, but not all 1955 doubled die cents show a raised lump beneath the left wheat ear, just below the left side of the letter O in OF.

The earliest state of this die also revealed several filing lines which appear raised on the coins. These are found just below the left wheat ear, but these lines disappeared from the die with subsequent repolishing.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

The color of the coin seems a bit off. It may be the color balance in your photos or the background color. You could try some new photos on a white background to see if that helps your camera to pick up the coin colors better. From the color of the coin I would question if it had a mild cleaning or dip quite a while ago and has started to retone. The photos also make it appear flat in color with no mint lustre showing, this could also be a sign of an older cleaning. From the photos I would guess or host would give it a questionable color or cleaned tag. I could easily change my mind with different photos.

If it did grade I would guess a MS-62 RB. There are a couple of harder hits on both sides.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

pumpkin orange color gives details cleaned
    I would give AU details

• Options
    ChevyroseChevyrose Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I’ve done extensive comparing to a graded example I have. I believe it to be genuine undoubtedly.

• Options

Here are some pics with a white background. I don’t think it has been cleaned or dipped

• Options

That is a nice MS-64RB you have there! :)

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    That is a nice MS-64RB you have there! :)

The ungraded one! Thanks 😁 lol

• Options

The color balance & lighting in your new photos make the coin appear more natural in color but also make it appear to be maybe closer to the AU range.

• Options

@Chevyrose said:

Is the 64RB yours too?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's real and that the first set of images have an issue with color balance and overexposure. The second set of images make the color appear much more natural and I could see it as a straight-grade AU.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Chevyrose said:

Is the 64RB yours too?

Yes

• Options

@Chevyrose said:
    Here are some pics with a white background.

The lighting is still off, your white background looks different in both photos and is kinda pinkish.
    I would guess the background you used was a piece of paper?

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Chevyrose said:

The lighting is still off, your white background looks different in both photos and is kinda pinkish.

Do you have any recommendations as far as taking pictures of coins is concerned? What to use as a backdrop ? Ect. I’ve honestly never photographed a coin

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Chevyrose said:

I made a quick adjustment to make the background white and this is what I got...

• Options

@Chevyrose said:
    Do you have any recommendations as far as taking pictures of coins is concerned? What to use as a backdrop ? Ect. I’ve honestly never photographed a coin

Sorry, I wish I could help you more. There are many folks here that can help much better than I can.
    I can take a decent photo but it has taken years of practice to find what works best for me.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 from this pic.

Tom

• Options

If it straight grades AU-55 or better I’d be very happy

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as a 58

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

the MasonG corrected color looks more natural -> AU55

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the AU55 camp, too. More than just a rub on the high points. But not much more.
    A nice about uncirculated

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Geez I badly misjudged the grade given the AU estimates here! Oh well, live and learn.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts on captureing the correct hue as seen in hand.
    1. convince yourself that they match.
    2. If adjustment's are nessary see #1.
    3. If details are the target all's fare.

• Options

All's fair! ;)

• Options

The emerald pearl of wisdom. ;)

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can do without the ball and chain.
    Is that a armour bearing ?
    Boo !
    See what experimenting with your camera could produce . Fake Luster.> @ifthevamzarockin said:

The emerald pearl of wisdom. ;)

• Options

Here’s what I know

The coin definitely still has mint luster
    I cannot find absolutely definitive wear on it, when I started collecting I purchased 5000 wheat cents from my local shop, sat down over a month period, and graded every single one with David langes book the complete guide to Lincoln cents on hand
    It is indeed genuine
    Yes he has a scratch on his head, but while viewing many pcgs tru views, I’ve noticed most have marks on Lincoln’s head and still graded
    To be graded RB it needs 5%-95% red color
    It will be sent in for grading in the next month to pcgs
    These are just my opinions
    We will see what pcgs says

It could take a while for pcgs turnaround time, at which point I’ll revive this thread

I paid $2800 for the coin
    A bit of a gamble
    But if I could never fail I wouldn’t try

• Options

Since you have the coin in hand what is your estimation of the grade?

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I paid $2800 for a raw coin like yours I would use the Express Service...for the extra $27 you will get your answer in 4 weeks instead of 4 months!

• Options

AU55

Young Numismatist

• Options

I’d say AU-58
    Ms62 rb on a good day

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That cent looks like an AU58... could be a slider... and pick up a low MS though...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Came back cleaned AU details unfortunately. I saw no signs of traditional cleaning myself. The truviews look identical to rb truview examples on coin facts. Live and learn

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many of you only need one of these? I'll start:

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I'm late to the party here but my gut said AU cleaned at first glance...the white background pic made it look like XF45.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have guessed AU55. Too bad on the details grade, it still looks like a great coin to me!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:
    Came back cleaned AU details unfortunately. I saw no signs of traditional cleaning myself. The truviews look identical to rb truview examples on coin facts. Live and learn

cleaned on copper coins is a whole different animal than silver and gold usually.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Very cool, and that doesn't mean cold for some people

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, still a nice piece.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:

I’ve done extensive comparing to a graded example I have. I believe it to be genuine undoubtedly.

Looking at this photo, to me ... it looks like it was cleaned.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tuition. For 2800, you could have had a nice PCGS graded coin which would be very marketable.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm inclined to say MS 63 R/B. I think MS 64 is pretty optimistic. Still a great coin to have 2 of.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Tuition. For 2800, you could have had a nice PCGS graded coin which would be very marketable.

But I’d like to be an able to confidently buy ungraded coins and not have to rely on TPG at least initially. I still have a lot to learn

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU Details, cleaned.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2022 6:51AM

@Chevyrose said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

But I’d like to be an able to confidently buy ungraded coins and not have to rely on TPG at least initially. I still have a lot to learn

If you want to confidently buy ungraded coins, that's something you're gonna have to work towards. That's not the first step in the modern era of coin collecting, it's the last.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@Chevyrose said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

If you want to confidently buy ungraded coins, that's something you're gonna have to work towards. That's not the first step in the modern era of coin collecting, it's the last.

The last step is learning how to grade ungraded coins?

Collectors should know how to grade and something I’m constantly working towards, probably forever

Experience is a fancy word for mistakes I’ve made

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file