Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1955/55 Lincoln. What would you grade this?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    ChevyroseChevyrose Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@Chevyrose said:
    No one ever bought a slabbed coin from eBay and made money

Change my mind

Well now you’re just asking for pushback 😂. Believe it or not, this was the first slabbed coin I ever bought on eBay. Ugly carbon spot and I threw it up on GC to move on.

Good job

Doesn’t happen much

For your example you made money on 1000 people lost money

• Options

Anymore comments and you have to say whether or not you’ve taken lsd

Very critical to further discussion

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:

Congratulations!!! You have succeeded in making it so I (and, I am sure, many others here) never again will take a post by you seriously!

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2022 4:05PM

@124Spider said:

@Chevyrose said:

Congratulations!!! You have succeeded in making it so I (and, I am sure, many others here) never again will take a post by you seriously!

I was past that point wayyyyyy before this post... :lol:

@Chevyrose would you be running back to the dealer with your bullhorn to give him his money back if the coin came back 63RB and you made a few grand?

I think not. Grading can go both ways. You and the dealer both had the opportunity to grade the coin, and you were wrong. It's a good lesson.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2022 6:20PM

Is that Naugahyde?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @Fraz said:

Is that Naugahyde?

Or is it "fine Corinthian leather."

• Options

Please read the whole thread before comment

Been answering the same questions for too long

Looks like all of you would rather show the irs your 1099 from eBay sales then answer on an online forum if you’ve taken lsd

• Options

Lots of in the box thinking here

• Options
    edited December 28, 2022 4:11PM

Sorry had to

• Options

Lots of “slabbed by third party” thinking

• Options

Enjoyed all of the posts, and wish I hadn't seen the actual grade! Oh well... I thought the color was a bit off, and it has what appears to be a bit of rub, so the posts who called it an AU55 or so I think are right on the money. Nice looking coin! Of course, this is after the fact, but ask someone that's knowledgeable with coins, ESPECIALLY COPPER as there are pieces out there that are not exactly "As advertised"... If you haven't already, join a local coin club where you are able to communicate with fellow collectors who may have decades and decades of experience, all free for the asking! Good Luck.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2022 6:00PM

@Chevyrose said:
    Lots of in the box thinking here

There; fixed! :)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:

Looks like all of you would rather show the irs your 1099 from eBay sales then answer on an online forum if you’ve taken lsd

The IRS gets my 1099s every year. I've never taken LSD. And that doesn't change your mind or your forum reputation. You've now entered the realm of the trolls. It's a shame. It didn't have to go this way.

• Options

It's times like this that I really miss Roger and Skip.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Chevyrose said:

The IRS gets my 1099s every year. I've never taken LSD. And that doesn't change your mind or your forum reputation. You've now entered the realm of the trolls. It's a shame. It didn't have to go this way.

Would a troll read books on numismatics everyday, constantly look for coins night and day, attend every show I can?

However I have 100% passion for collecting and I have definitely crossed the hobby/obsession line

Still have plenty to learn along with the rest of occupants of planet earth

Sorry you don’t like my behaviors and opinions and my lack of respect for your status here on an online coin forum

And yes I have taken lsd many time, many years ago. It’s kept me ungraded

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:

Change my mind

@Chevyrose said:

Change my mind

I rate that post as useful and tasty as a 3 day old lawn sausage on a stale and moldy sesame seed bun,

• Options

So stopped and talked to the dealer I got this from today.
    No bullhorn
    I showed him the cleaned, slabbed 1955/55
    He said “doesn’t surprise me”
    I said “why’s that?”
    No response
    Proceeded to give me back $2800 in cash

Tuition? Seems more like a scholarship.
    I leaned at lot for just a little

• Options

@DCW said:
    I dont think you learned much at all.

Thanks for your input

If I need a worthless token I’ll let you know

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:

@DCW said:

Thanks for your input

Fwiw, these type of backhanded comments will likely get you banned from the forum very soon, if you care.

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@Chevyrose said:

@DCW said:

Thanks for your input

Fwiw, these type of backhanded comments will likely get you banned from the forum very soon, if you care.

No more passive aggressive than his comment

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@Chevyrose said:

@DCW said:

Thanks for your input

Hilarious. For what it's worth, I'd never sell you a thing. You've shown us all in very short time what kind of a customer you'd be.

Good luck and good bye!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:

@Chevyrose said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@Chevyrose said:

@DCW said:

Thanks for your input

Hilarious. For what it's worth, I'd never sell you a thing. You've shown us all in very short time what kind of a customer you'd be.

Good luck and good bye!

You’re right I should just lay down and take it when I get sold a cleaned coin

Dealers everywhere just rip anyone off you can

Hey you “do this for a living”

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@Chevyrose said:

@DCW said:

Thanks for your input

We can hope....

• Options

@124Spider said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@Chevyrose said:

@DCW said:

Thanks for your input

We can hope....

If you people would stop victimizing the poor man, he wouldn't have to keep defending himself.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@Chevyrose said:

@EldoEsq said:

@JBK said:

@DCW said:

Anyway, no harm in bringing the coin back to the dealer and showing the results of his submission. If indeed there was a 30 day return policy in place, this thread is a moot point.

I've seen lots of listings where the return policy is contingent on the coin still being in the original holder. I suppose that avoids people trying to get a higher grade and then returning if unsuccessful. It also avoids switched coins.

In this case, it seems the OP was looking for (willing to accept) a lower grade, but the cleaning was the complicating factor.

I don't buy for one

Op, I don't have a horse in this race and hope you find a solution, but I'm not sure how this screenshot enforces your point, it looks to me that it only confirms @EldoEsq 's statement that "2800 is well above what a PCGS certified straight AU example would go for". I see that sale prices of straight graded 58's range between 2000-2600, with the average around 2300, so I think its fair to say that 2800 is "well above" what they normally sell for. Straight graded 55's rarely have broken 2000, so I'm a little bit puzzled as to why you would have been ok with an AU grade after paying what you did.

He did say when he started this thread that he'd be happy with 55 or better. But he must have thought it had a shot at better.

He also later posted “I’d say AU-58 Ms62 rb on a good day”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:

@JBK said:

@DCW said:

Anyway, no harm in bringing the coin back to the dealer and showing the results of his submission. If indeed there was a 30 day return policy in place, this thread is a moot point.

I've seen lots of listings where the return policy is contingent on the coin still being in the original holder. I suppose that avoids people trying to get a higher grade and then returning if unsuccessful. It also avoids switched coins.

In this case, it seems the OP was looking for (willing to accept) a lower grade, but the cleaning was the complicating factor.

Eureka

@jmlanzaf said:

@Chevyrose said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@Chevyrose said:

@EldoEsq said:

@JBK said:

@DCW said:

I don't buy for one second he would be happy it would be a straight AU...2800 is well above what a PCGS certified straight AU example would go for.

Perhaps you should download coinfacts

Op, I don't have a horse in this race and hope you find a solution, but I'm not sure how this screenshot enforces your point, it looks to me that it only confirms @EldoEsq 's statement that "2800 is well above what a PCGS certified straight AU example would go for". I see that sale prices of straight graded 58's range between 2000-2600, with the average around 2300, so I think its fair to say that 2800 is "well above" what they normally sell for. Straight graded 55's rarely have broken 2000, so I'm a little bit puzzled as to why you would have been ok with an AU grade after paying what you did.

Rarely can you buy a coin today and sell for a profit tomorrow

Go buy a slabbed coin at a show and sell it for a profit in a week rarely happens

I collect for the long term, 5 years minimum

It's not about flipping it. If the AU examples can be bought for $2000 (in a slab), why would you pay $2800 unless you thought it was better than a run-of-the-mill AU?

I thought I would break even at least. I thought I want being conservative at AU 55-58 hoping maybe there was a chance at better

And since this whole thread is getting dragged out we should probably debate if the coin is RB or BN

Came back BN

That changes all presumed prices

Dealer had the coin ms63 rb

Came back BN

I don’t think PCGS designates cleaned details-grade copper coins RB or RD.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:
    No bullhorn
    I said “why’s that?”
    No response

I don’t buy this. You still own that doggie.

• Options

@Fraz said:

@Chevyrose said:
    No bullhorn
    I said “why’s that?”
    No response

I don’t buy this. You still own that doggie.

As if your thoughts could matter to me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file