Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Some People Do With Coins..................Besides Numismatics!

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 1, 2022 5:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Post what you have..,

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well Id'e be glad to clean out the fountains IF my bad back would let me bend over................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about someone post a photo of the Western (Montana?) Bar that has a Morgan dollar motif to the bar inside the Bar and and on the wall beside or behind the bar in the Bar?

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    How about someone post a photo of the Western (Montana?) Bar that has a Morgan dollar motif to the bar inside the Bar and and on the wall beside or behind the bar in the Bar?

Is this it?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

I do not think so.

The one I recall had dollars space much closer together and on the wall was a silver dollar portrait of an elegantly dressed 19th century woman.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

And another opportunity for my jar. :D

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    I do not think so.

The one I recall had dollars space much closer together and on the wall was a silver dollar portrait of an elegantly dressed 19th century woman.

That sounds like the silver queen in Virginia city, Nevada.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was posted by my good friend @Aspie_Rocco back in 2017 :)
    Customizable sprinklers using a large coin:
    If your sprinklers need adjustment from hard water deposits you can customize the spray patters using a good sized coin! Instead of paying the sprinkler guy!! Make rainbows too!

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just collect and accumulate coins.... The collection is for my enjoyment, the accumulation is because I do not spend enough change and my pocket gets heavy. I have never considered doing such projects (some of which are shown above) with my accumulation. If I ever run out of the things that currently interest me, and take all my non-sleeping hours, perhaps I will consider some coin project - - - - probably not. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I just collect and accumulate coins.... The collection is for my enjoyment, the accumulation is because I do not spend enough change and my pocket gets heavy. I have never considered doing such projects (some of which are shown above) with my accumulation. If I ever run out of the things that currently interest me, and take all my non-sleeping hours, perhaps I will consider some coin project - - - - probably not. ;) Cheers, RickO

These coin projects probably aren't being done by "true" collectors or numismatists like us. All I see is damage to the coins.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    Who among us has used a dime for a screwdriver?? :p

Although I have to confess, as a kid we make 14-D's from 44-D's!! 🤣 😂

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

I use dimes quite a bit to pry open remote cases for battery replacement. It's amazing that some people don't know how, or won't learn how, to do it for themselves.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2022 8:14AM

@Fraz said:
    Franklin will get your air-cooled VW home:

A common fix when the plug blows out.

It's Roosevelt but we get your point. Is that a VW engine? I had a VW years ago. I'm trying to figure out what part of the engine that is.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dime can be used to measure the choke on a 12-gage shotgun. If the dime doesn't fit the bore of the barrel, it's a full choke. If it does, it's a modified choke or an improved cylinder choke.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

I'm trying to figure out what part of the engine that is.

At the front of the carb:

The dime looks silver, huh?

• Options

Oh, okay. That's a much newer model. That explains it. Mine was a 66. Thanks @Fraz.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    A dime can be used to measure the choke on a 12-gage shotgun. If the dime doesn't fit the bore of the barrel, it's a full choke. If it does, it's a modified choke or an improved cylinder choke.

Modified or Improved Modified. The difference between Modified and Improved Cylinder is great, then of course I'm shooting handicap from the 20 yard line. teehee hee

• Options
    edited December 2, 2022 8:42AM

Sharp of you to remember that!

@OAKSTAR said:
    I'm thinking pie crust crimper?

Crimp my crust! I like those!

The 1851 pie crimper had progressive improvements over the ‘46 that all piemen appreciate.
    Let’s see the spurs and throwing stars.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

and by Aspie_Rocco
    So here begins a thread that will teeter on the borders, not to press my luck, but for a good laugh.

How to PROPERLY adjust vehicle mirrors with no blind spots:

Step one- enter drivers side, sit down in drivers seat. Do not fart, yet, as the window need to be up.

Step two- lean your head to the left until it gently bumps the drivers window.

Step three- Tape a US COIN to the window where your head hit. Then put your head against the coin while looking through the driver side mirror

Step four-adjust mirror until you just see the side of your tail light, or rearmost side corner, with head against US coin.

Step five- egress driver side (fart now) and enter passenger front seat repeat coin taping, head bump and tail light just visible

Now your mirrors are PROPERLY adjusted. When you look at the rear view objects on edges will also be in side mirrors. This entirely eliminates blind spots.

Step six- leave coin taped to window, optional, like a bumper sticker, to look cool to fellow coin nuts.

Disclaimer: if your vehicle is right hand drive, you have to use a Euro. I dont make the rules.

This concludes the first Coin Lyfe,
    Aspie Roccout

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@Fraz said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I'm trying to figure out what part of the engine that is.

At the front of the carb:

>

The dime looks silver, huh?

I'm thinking the silver is more malleable in that joint, rather then clad.

• Options
    edited December 2, 2022 9:06AM

I used a clad, tapped it gently in, no adhesive. It blew out a few years later, repeat. I drove those things for fifty years.

• Options

@Fraz said:
    I used a clad, tapped it gently in, no adhesive. It blew out a few years later, repeat. I drove those things for fifty years.

What was the year of that engine/vehicle?

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

This thing is supposed to ward off evil spirits and diseases. I'm not sure how well it works, but it looks pretty cool.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    edited December 2, 2022 3:45PM

The Silver Queen, in Virginia City, Nevada. She supposedly is dressed with 3,261 silver dollars.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll have to remember to get a picture on Sunday…
    We live in a copper mining town and our church had the kids bring pennies that were used to make a table top in the entryway. It looks really nice and is a connection to the local community (and don’t worry, there was something biblical tied to the whole thing but I just can’t remember what it was).
    Some craftsmen in the church made the table along with some other things for the room but this was the only one with coins.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

Used the dime to help put a flint in zippos

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

I pulled the pic at random. My gf had a ‘73 autostick and I had a ‘75 with that same carb, dimed up like that.

Magicians pull coins out of ears.

• Options

@Fraz said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I pulled the pic at random. My gf had a ‘73 autostick and I had a ‘75 with that same carb, dimed up like that.

Magicians pull coins out of ears.

Thanks for that. Here's my 66.

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Fraz said:

It's Roosevelt but we get your point. Is that a VW engine? I had a VW years ago. I'm trying to figure out what part of the engine that is.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He didn't say " a Franklin ", he said " Franklin

• Options

@Atcarroll said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Fraz said:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He didn't say " a Franklin ", he said " Franklin

I thought he was referring to a Franklin half.

• Options
    edited December 2, 2022 11:59PM

@OAKSTAR said:

I thought he was referring to a Franklin half.

I apologize, we’re on a first name basis after two rescues.
    Ben was stuck in my ear until the magician came along, though.

Mine was stealthier. Not comfortable, but I went through the eighties at eighty without tickets.

@OAKSTAR said:

Here's my 66.

Beast!

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever tape a cent on top of the tonearm on their record player for a little more weight?

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

There’s no longer a handy picture of this, but contractors would shoot a nail through a penny or nickel if their powder actuated tool had too much power when firing a nail through a 2x4 to concrete.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file