Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Putty or Not, (Sorry British Gold) 1838 Half Sovereign

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I bought this coin over 10 years ago and has the hazy appearance that almost looks to be "puttied". Opinions?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks that way from the pics. Putty that turned hazy over time, after slabbing.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would probably dip out, personally I've never seen one that didn't. Could send back under the warranty/guarantee.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no advice for you , but the haziness would definitely bother me. I’ll be following this thread to see how you attempt to resolve this. Hopefully something can be done

• Options

I am going to take it to the next Baltimore show and see if they can help out - no experience with putty. I usually stick to silver and copper but have a number of nicer half sovs from over the years. It certainly has changed in the years I'v had it and not like any others of mine....

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I am going to take it to the next Baltimore show and see if they can help out - no experience with putty.

Not sure who "they" are...PCGS? If so, nothing can or will be done there other than accepting it and taking it back to HQ. Conservation service isn't available at shows.

I certainly would ask that it be conserved. There was a time when PCGS would do this for free but those days are long past. Same for their guarantee. Nevertheless, it would be smart to have it done.
    Lance.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

@7Jaguars said:
    I am going to take it to the next Baltimore show and see if they can help out - no experience with putty.

Not sure who "they" are...PCGS? If so, nothing can or will be done there other than accepting it and taking it back to HQ. >Conservation service isn't available at shows.

I heard at the last Baltimore show that it was the last Baltimore that pcgs would be grading at but don't know if that is true. However, looking at the pcgs show schedule they do have it noted as submissions only for the next Baltimore in March. So definitely only taking it back.

https://www.pcgs.com/shows/detail/6716

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

Yes, figured that but I am in no rush. It is in an OGH, and I think I bought it about 2004/05 and at that time by recall there was no cloudiness on the surfaces. In fact it graded MS63 and looked possibly better so as I just looked at it was disappointed by what looks to be putty...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would send it in for conservation. Be aware, that removal of the putty may expose issues that are not very nice.... However, I prefer my gold coins 'au naturale'. Let us know what course you pursue. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2022 8:40AM

Irregardless of the cause - It’s gone bad in the holder. Most likely imo from exposure to the atmosphere over time. Long term holding of material increases potential for this problem.

Seems like putty or haze from exposure to atmosphere. However it is not very sellable as is. Needs conservation.

I would crack it out, dip it, then send back in for grading. Be sure use non pvc flip.

One needs churn investment quickly.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Yes, gonna let that OGH go which is no big deal for this coin. As Ricko says no telling what is hiding under the haze but hopefully nothing ugly; it is a scarcer date as well. I will keep all posted.
    I have done some conservation but not of puttied coins if that is what this one is and it appears to be. So think it will go back to the hosts.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 8:34AM

You can let it go at auc but who is going to bid on it except somebody gonna crack and dip? Well it might get BV.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

LOL, get me an MS 63 1838 half sovereign at melt....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file