Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think US Classic Coins Are Over Priced

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Do you think US Classic Coins Are Over Priced

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    Yes

If recession hits next year worried they may fall. Just not much of a bidder on them at this time.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Quality, rare items are hard to find and priced accordingly. Price guides have not caught up so pricing things is still a challenge when buying top end coins for the grade.

• Options
    Yes

I do think at this time bidding is more competitive for US Classic Coins vs Mods, World, and to a certain extent currency. But I don’t know about impact of possible upcoming recession.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No, I voted "NO", as well.
    You already said it in your heading, "Classic!"
    These favorites are in a class of their own. And should be worth the higher premiums.
    Esp. the certain ones in gem condition!
    B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some are and some are not depending how I look at it, fwiw

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Priced just right according to market demand.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Not from where I sit. I think it's about right.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Some are overpriced but most seem to be responding to supply and demand. The demand seems to be really strong right now, with some crazy prices realized by highly motivated bidders.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I voted, "no" yet dang it: I want a GD04 or better Chain Cent and they sure seem overpriced (compared to a few years ago)!

peacockcoins

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Depends on the coin, but overall no.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

The market is too large and too mature to have anything "overpriced" for very long. If you don't like the price, don't bid.

• Options
    No

@Cougar1978 said:
    I do think at this time bidding is more competitive for US Classic Coins vs Mods, World, and to a certain extent currency. But I don’t know about impact of possible upcoming recession.

Location, location, location.

Take your Manhattan apartment and put it in Pakistan and I guarantee it sells for less.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

The current prices are higher than I like so I haven’t been buying what I used to, but the market is large and not all segments are priced the same. So I’ve been buying what I think is priced better.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

What I think are overpriced are higher grade moderns.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    No

@braddick said:
    I voted, "no" yet dang it: I want a GD04 or better Chain Cent and they sure seem overpriced (compared to a few years ago)!

More highly priced is not synonymous with overpriced.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Overpriced" or "Poor Value For The Money"?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@jmlanzaf said:

@braddick said:

More highly priced is not synonymous with overpriced.

Excellent point.

peacockcoins

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I voted 'no'.
    When I started my business in the late 70's, it was quite common to buy collectible stuff from the public every day. Pre '33 US gold, 3 or 4 pieces a week. As the decades wore on, the frequency decreased.
    Of course, people only live for so long, so things became available at times. Using US gold just as an example, the buying frequency dropped to perhaps one or two a month by the late 90's, dropping again to maybe a piece every couple months after the turn of the century.
    I think most collectible stuff has moved to stronger hands over the years, and the prices reflect that.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes and no, I didn't vote.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I voted no. Higher priced is not overpriced. Simple as supply and demand. I believe as more Baby Boomers have more disposable income, purchase higher priced coins and hold onto them longer, the result is that prices increase to draw better coins back onto the market. In this market the prices have increased for most of the better material, which may go down a small percentage but IMO, are here to stay. So if you like it, buy it, you’ll be happy in the long run.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote. Maybe

With more folks wanting to collect there’s usually a learning curve as to what value is. Real or personal. 
      Then there’s what intrinsic value is there to my collectibles.  Getting burnt a few times usually helps with this problem. 
       I’m going to throw out a little thought ( the kind I mostly think 😀)

Perhaps there’s going to be an increase in the number of collectors who, having seen their crypto dreams or other investment crash, start looking for tangible assets. Something they can physically hold. 

Sure makes classic coins and heck even bullion look pretty good. Just the thoughts of this old time traveler. 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

The price is the price. I do not think they are overpriced or underpriced. The market is the market.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think pretty, CAC, PCGS coins are very strong and will stay that way for the most part.

Average looking coins have been hanging on for the ride and are currently getting off at the next stop.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    edited November 25, 2022 8:32AM
    Yes

Plan retool Classic inventory (Mostly sold sold out) next year perhaps some special area.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@Smudge said:
    Depends on the coin, but overall no.

This. Some are overpriced, while others are GREAT values.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

With inflation at 40-year highs, I think that almost all asset classes will necessarily be subject to re-pricing, mostly to the upside.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

US coins tend to be overpriced relative to foreign coins anyways.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I have a whole inventory of under priced coins.

It's still early in the game or others would have come to the same realization and plundered my inventory.

• Options
    No

@olympicsos said:

You mean in the same way that filet mignon is overpriced relative to hamburger?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@olympicsos said:

I don't know... I think the quality of non-US coins can be every bit the equal of US coins. The difference in price is due to demand.

• Options
    No

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@olympicsos said:

I don't know... I think the quality of non-US coins can be every bit the equal of US coins. The difference in price is due to demand.

So is the price of filet.

• Options
    edited November 25, 2022 5:29PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@olympicsos said:

So is the price of filet.

Sure, I agree. I think it's because of the quality of the cut. I don't think you'd have any problem finding a nice, choice non-US coin that's priced higher than a parking lot Zincoln. :)

edited to add... Instead of comparing filet mignon to hamburger, how about a comparison of a cut of beef vs. some other animal that is not as popular?

• Options
    87redcivic87redcivic Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    Yes

Yes. Compared to foreign coinage of the same era. Do I think that this will change anytime soon? No.

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭
    No

@87redcivic said:
    Yes. Compared to foreign coinage of the same era. Do I think that this will change anytime soon? No.

It still doesn’t make any sense to me that you can pick up good 19th Century French gold for barely any premium, but I’m not complaining.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are only "Overpriced" when somebodey obviosly outbids you!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Are seated liberty dollars overpriced compared to three cent nickels?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    They are only "Overpriced" when somebodey obviosly outbids you!

I thought I saw “some bidet” and laughed out loud. I really agree with your statement either way 😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    No

If they are selling and moving then no. If they are sitting and hanging around then yes. As many above have said the market sets the price. I don't see nice coins listed for long.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

The pandemic got all kinds of people into coins. When people were stuck at home, they started looking for things to do and ways to spend money bringing in new collectors to the market. When shows started again, new faces started coming in that I had never seen before. These new collectors in the coin and bullion market are at least one reason for the higher prices because of increased demand. How long these new collectors are around remains to be seen but at least it's a good thing considering that one of the biggest complaints is that seasoned collectors worry about the hobby dying.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2022 7:04PM
    No

@MasonG said:
    Are seated liberty dollars overpriced compared to three cent nickels?

Good example. But but I think that Morgans are WAYYY overpriced compared to Seated Dollars. I can find multiple examples of almost any Morgan that I want, any day of the week, as long as I have the money. Many Seated dollars don't appear for years. Pop numbers and mintage figures are much lower than Morgans. And, PERSONALLY, I think Seated Dollars are FAR more attractive but that is simply MY opinion.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    But but I think that Morgans are WAYYY overpriced compared to Seated Dollars. I can find multiple examples of almost any Morgan that I want, any day of the week, as long as I have the money. Many Seated dollars don't appear for years.

That's why Morgans are priced as they are. Most people won't try to collect coins they can't find to buy.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@ms71 said:
    The market sets the price. If something that falls under the heading of "discretionary spending" is overpriced, it will experience a correction or sit in stock & not sell.

This

You may be asking if people see a "market correction," but nothing sells that's "overpriced," by definition.

• Options
    edited November 25, 2022 7:54PM
    No

@MasonG said:

@Walkerfan said:
    But but I think that Morgans are WAYYY overpriced compared to Seated Dollars. I can find multiple examples of almost any Morgan that I want, any day of the week, as long as I have the money. Many Seated dollars don't appear for years.

That's why Morgans are priced as they are. Most people won't try to collect coins they can't find to buy.

That’s probably true but then, by the same logic, why are Draped Bust Dollars so expensive? Very few of those are extant, too…

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

Most people won't try to collect coins they can't find to buy.

That actually works for me as I have a limited budget.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

One needs to look at the historical pricing of their specific area of interest before answering. When looking at silver commeoratives, heck, NO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file