Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How Many of You Use the PCGS Set Registry?

I just wanted to ask the question. I really enjoy it and like working on and building sets ranked against other collectors. Mind you those sets are often sparsely collected in my areas of interest. I see the same 3 to 4 people participating across the sets I also collect.

I am also curious if any of you participate but don't publish your set details. I've a set a user took the #1 spot in last year and it's not visible what's in the set. I could see it being a privacy thing, but I love looking at the other sets and hate not being able to view it.

Lastly, I was curious for those that do participate, does it drive your collecting habits? I personally struggle to buy coins not in these sets and really commit most of my resources to curating those. I think it's probably something to do with my personality wanting everything to have a place.

If you've links to your public sets, please feel free to post them here. I would love to see them.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/clio/othersets/62351

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2022 4:02PM

I did until PCGS wouldn’t cross a specific rare coin that they don’t know how to grade. That was the end for me in PCGS exclusive plastic and crossing coins over.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to use the registry keep track of my collection but I don't publish anything or build sets. Kind of use it like a fancy Excel spreadsheet.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2022 11:43AM

This is a tough question and I respect those answers that are different than what I might suggest...

I see sharing my experiences as part of the numismatic curve to just establish what is possible. What I share is about what is possible mainly is for the purpose of creating some level of hope that good things can happen-for those that look and dared to be challenged. I have posted unusual coins here and some are significant without being recognized for what they are. And that is part of the problem... great coins are simply not recognized because those coins have not been recognized by a higher reference source. Sadly collectors are that higher referenced source so it turns full circle into what should happen but does not happen mainly because collectors are collectors and NOT the market makers.

I have registry sets mainly to document what is possible. This is not brain surgery so if I can develop grading skills to make this possible... well... I think the point has been made.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2022 2:04PM

I have a few sets that are complete and few that are incomplete.
    The only set I really cared to complete was my Charles III set, no one had finished the set previously which made it a bit more interesting too.

Going forward I'd much rather go back to collecting what catches my eye and what I enjoy.

I've struggled a little bit with the thought of finishing the set of world coins that circulated in early America.
    On one hand I'm more than 50 percent complete with the set. I like the idea of having a set of world coins that circulated here. The downside is I don't really care about the remaining coins in a personal way, they don't move me or inspire me. Without having some passion behind the coin the completion of the set would feel a bit empty I think. I think going freestyle is going to win out in the end for me. There are just too many beautiful coins for me to waste my time and money on something that doesn't sing to my heart.

Here are my complete sets:
    Charles III

Spanish Colonial Columnarios

Mexican 10 Pesos

These are the incomplete sets: (Not likely to be finished)
    Charles III

Ferdinand VII

World Coins in Early America

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

I don't collect plastic of any kind.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES

I am 33.94% complete :)

I only need 732 coins more to be fully complete. ;)

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2022 3:47PM

@cacheman

I have you in my top 2 forum coin photographers of all time. I have been posting here for 20 years so that should mean something... and hopefully you see that as a complement for which it was intended. I understand your comment. I don't collect plastic either. However, I do submit to our host and have them photograph and grade my coins that I consider worthy. I do my best to share those images here mainly to promote what is possible.

Turning full circle back to grading and plastic- there is rarity, condition rarity and condition rarity at various grade levels. I have no problem or issue with buying my selected coins raw and having them graded and entered in a registry. It is not about competing or plastic. In this age of technology which I despise, it seems I need to manage the good and promote what I see as being good in an effort to just cope with the rest of what I see as counterproductive,

EDITED TO ADD: always great to see you posting

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect what I like. Not what someone thinks I should like. And what I like isn’t a defined set.

I, too, have problems with PCGS attribution (and frankly, their attitude), hence no longer have the desire to cross anything already slabbed over to PCGS.

On my raw coins, I will attempt PCGS first. If they fail, I go ATS.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

Here's the current version: MADNESS

Great set! B)

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2022 4:02PM

I have couple sets are in number one rank but still have a long way to complete them. It might take years or decades to complete them.

• Options

To me, a Spanish Colonial type set with different mints seems odd. Why not replace that 4R and have all Mo coins? Then move on to a type set of another mint.

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

I have 2 registry sets with PCGS, use them primarily to track what I have and be able to access pictures remotely when I am at shows. At this point I have stopped sending anything to be slabbed, I have the missing coins in the sets as raw coins and just don't have any desire to pay to have them slabbed. Not in agreement with the grades some of them received but it is what it is.

Ferdinand VII Draped Bust 8 Reales Mexico

Ferdinand VII Armored Bust 8 Reales Mexico

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

To me, a Spanish Colonial type set with different mints seems odd. Why not replace that 4R and have all Mo coins? Then move on to a type set of another mint.

Well, for the longest time, I couldn't find any pillar 4 reales coins to save my life.
    Then the Lima 4 became available, shortly thereafter a 1767 Bolivian example in VF30.
    I have considered what you suggest, but less so because of the composition of the set and more because I felt it would be nice to have an example from each mint. That said, I would get one if I could find a Mexico 4 reales that was original and wholesome and fell between a VF35 to XF45+- so as to keep the look about the same.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use it for few reasons. Helps me to keep inventory and love the images in the albums. However, I have coins in NGC slabs and never crossed an NGC coin to PCGS. So I keep sets on both registries, but that does not bother me. As mentioned above, I collect what I like and have 0 expectations to complete any of the sets as in Mexican coins, that is very much impossible unless you have 2 or 3 lifetimes and lots of luck 😂 or you are talking modern coins. And another thing I like is a get to see the coins of other people. That I enjoy a lot.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of my imperial Roman and British coins are raw, which is the way I prefer them. It would useless for me to be on the registry with three or four PCGS coins.

Years ago I did a lot with the NGC registry. I have a couple of sets on the PCGS registry, but the PCGS graded coins only requirement greatly limits my participation.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Years ago I did a lot with the NGC registry. I have a couple of sets on the PCGS registry, but the PCGS graded coins only requirement greatly limits my participation.

Did NGC reverse its decision to ban PCGS coin in World registry? That was one of the decisions that prompted me to move to PCGS many years ago. Not the decision itself, mind you, but the way NGC went about it, completely disregarding customer experience and feedback.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I have a Registry Showcase for my World Type Set. Being a Showcase, there is no set definition, and I can add any PCGS slabbed coins. So, it does not influence what I buy / collect.

My World Type Set

I still buy some NGC coins. I used to cross them, but haven't in over a decade.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@BillJones said:

Did NGC reverse its decision to ban PCGS coin in World registry? That was one of the decisions that prompted me to move to PCGS many years ago. Not the decision itself, mind you, but the way NGC went about it, completely disregarding customer experience and feedback.

NGC removed the ban on U.S. coins only. It still applies to foreign coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the competitor of PCGS , but I don't compete, I just use it to store my slab information in a safe place and easy access. All the pictures are mine but majority of my coins are raw. I only have a few slabbed foreign coins and some won't ever be accepted to the registry.

My foreign coin collection. They are number 1 on the HFJacinto Raw Registry. :D

This is the one registry I have for coins from Portugal.
    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/371128/

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2022 11:04AM

I will echo some previous posts. I participate in the registry and have several sets (three are gold award sets) there. That said, I collect many scarce and rare Canadian one cent varieties, specimens, and patterns that PCGS does not understand and will not attribute correctly, which is very annoying. When I get some free time, I will probably update my personal website with photos of my collection. At that I time, I may decide to retire my sets and withdraw from the registry world.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

I initially started participating in the PCGS Set Registry to increase purchase opportunities. A somewhat selfish motivation, I’ll admit! :D

From my perspective, the Set Registry has all the necessary features to help vendors find willing buyers for their coins. For example, the ‘Want List Connection’ allows you to match your PCGS inventory with members’ want lists, and the option of having a ‘Contact User’ icon appear next to publicly available sets allows vendors to identify and contact collectors likely to be interested. And with the Set Registry available in a variety of languages through the PCGS Europe and Asia sites, these features are broadly accessible.

Since I started participating in the Set Registry five years ago, however, I have never been presented with a purchase opportunity. Whilst unable to fulfill my original intent, I have still found the Set Registry a worthwhile experience for broadening my exposure to and appreciation of sets I don’t collect, as well as connecting with collectors of those I do collect. Certainly, I’ve enjoyed viewing all the great sets shared in this thread! In the same spirit I've kept my own New Guinea set active.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two or three World Sets.

• Options

I like the Portugal 1926 50 Centavos- If I recall correctly, this was a three year type and the Escudo had the same basic design. I am really curious as to the high grade surviving population on these coins.

Just to add one other comment which I think I have written before and that has to do with various world coins in a surviving state of preservation that would making grading worthwhile. In my view, it has a direct impact in Registry set participation. For certain countries, series and dates, there are simply not enough coins to go around.

Think about it this way in this hypothetical example which has really has a foundation in reality:

You have 15 collectors seeking coins from series x from country y. The PCG Pop and even combined with NGC Pop is just too small as the surviving population needs to be considered. It would benefit everyone immensely if PCGS and NGC came to some type of reciprocal agreement in terms of a structure to have the other's slabs in both registry sets. I don't think this is too much to ask nor is it rocket science to come up with a plan to make it work.

World coins are simply different that US coins- My comments extend only to those countries were there is a clear shortage of coins. And most here would be surprised to read how difficult certain coins are to find- regardless of the TPG holder.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find "sets" limiting. Started with US type and got fairly advanced in that but have gotten bored with the designs.
    Few years back I started on the darkside.
    Still in it although lately there has been a gaping dearth of nice design world coins and with a few exceptions, I won't buy any moderns.
    I do regret selling my Mexico type set. :'(

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2022 3:29PM

I have spent hours and hours over the past ~10 years looking at other collector's sets in the registry. It's one of the only avenues I have to be able to see other collectors sets. World coin collecting is rare at my local coin club, so I don't get to see much through that outlet. Even exhibited world sets are fairly sparse at large coin shows.

I participate in the registry so I can give back what others have given to me. It has done a little bit to connect me with other collectors of the series I collect, which I appreciate. I hope that it will prompt more people to share with me in the future.

The PCGS registry, particularly because of its prevalence of trueviews, meets and otherwise unmet need/demand from world coin collectors to display and discuss their coins. I think there is likely an opportunity for other players in Numismatics to help fill this gap, but I don't know if anyone is actively working towards it.

I find that giving my collection structure in the form of discrete sets helps make it easier to manage my budget and decide what's worth keeping and what's worth moving on from. That being said, I am collecting a couple sets that are not represented on the PCGS registry. If I ever complete them, I'll make a request that PCGS create the set so that I can share it.

If you also have spent hours looking at the PCGS registry and haven't thought about putting something on there yourself, then you should consider it.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frankly, I think it really too expensive for what it is, and the egos involved are often just tremendous. The idea is ok but in a series of 100 coins would represent likely a minimum of 5k in grading fees and frankly probably double that.

Rather funny that I have occasionally looked up different Registry sets to see what has become of some coins or because I have been referred. Rather amusing, and I don't mean to come off smug, that in my area(s) there are registry sets that could and would be completely blown out of the water should certain individuals come to play in the sandbox.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I like the Portugal 1926 50 Centavos- If I recall correctly, this was a three year type and the Escudo had the same basic design. I am really curious as to the high grade surviving population on these coins.

You are correct. The 50 centavos was 1924 to 1926, with a 1925 being extremely rare and selling for $$$$.

I also have the 1 Escudo but that one is raw.

The Casa De Moeda reused the "seated liberty" for the 20 escudos also.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2022 9:10AM

@Paradisaea said:
    I’ve enjoyed viewing all the great sets shared in this thread! In the same spirit I've kept my own New Guinea set active.

What an incredible set. That's really some fantastic pieces.

Really interesting reading some of the feedback here. Most of which I can see the point of view from. I do think at it's core the set registry exists to keep the grading game alive and certainly drives prices but I like to think that here on the darkside it's more about personal accomplishment over the value of things. I like to compare my sets to what's out there and enjoy seeing the competition in areas where you can still be competitive, unlike most all US sets.

I believe the ANA spoke of making a joint registry awhile back and the prospect seems to have lost it's momentum. I do hope they resume it at some point so it's more about the coins and less about the TPGs.

Thanks so much everyone for the great feedback!

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I sort of keep a registry for my main collection. I keep most of the coins raw, but if I happen to buy PCGS graded coins I will add them to the registry. I like seeing all the trueviews together, and I like the idea of planting my flag and potentially networking with other collectors. But my set registry does not represent my collection, just an arbitrary slice of it.

My "side collection" is a much smaller set, so I graded and crossed over a coin or two to fill it up.

• Options

Registry sets somewhat touching on a dilemma that I think a lot of collectors have. It's when we ask "Am I better served by sharing my information with others or keeping it to myself?" A lot of people treat knowledge of and secrecy of their collection to be a competitive advantage. Secrecy can avoid competition. Sharing can garner interest in others that then become competitors.

I've decided that free sharing of information is an overall benefit to collectors as a whole, even if it risks negatively affecting your progress on your particular set in some way. Although that's not specific to registry sets. I generally believe in transparency and freedom of information in all things.

"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 3:23PM

Used to have a bunch of registry sets going, but not since I moved to focus on chopmarked coins. No registry for these, and I have to say it's been quite freeing. No holes I have to fill. No buying coins I don't really want but need so that I get more points. I'm enjoying collecting coins a lot more this way. I used to enjoy registry sets as a way to share my collection, but I created an Instagram account to do this, which allows way more social interaction.

My lack of faith in PCGS accurately grading world coins and the increase in cost to cross plastic were also factors.

• Options

@OriginalDan said:
    Used to have a bunch of registry sets going, but not since I moved to focus on chopmarked coins. No registry for these, and I have to say it's been quite freeing. No holes I have to fill. No buying coins I don't really want but need so that I get more points. I'm enjoying collecting coins a lot more this way. I used to enjoy registry sets as a way to share my collection, but I created an Instagram account to do this, which allows way more social interaction.

My lack of faith in PCGS accurately grading world coins and the increase in cost to cross plastic were also factors.

I feel the comments about hole fillers. I think in the future I am only doing type sets which very rarely require you to settle for a hole filler, or sets which don't have true stoppers.

What is your Instagram handle?

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clio said:

I feel the comments about hole fillers. I think in the future I am only doing type sets which very rarely require you to settle for a hole filler, or sets which don't have true stoppers.

What is your Instagram handle?

@chopmarkedcoins

Reach out and say Hi, always nice to meet new people there.

• Options

I use the registry to keep track of my collection, PCGS and non-PCGS via the inventory function. I don't participate in filling any registry sets though.

I used to, way back when, I think those old sets of mine are all retired by now.

• Options

@Cladiator said:
    I use the registry to keep track of my collection, PCGS and non-PCGS via the inventory function. I don't participate in filling any registry sets though.

I used to, way back when, I think those old sets of mine are all retired by now.

What do you collect if you don't mind me asking?

• Options

@Clio said:

@Cladiator said:

Based on his username I would guess Roman Imperial Clad coinage.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are so many with so few participants with the actual best or "best" not participating, the concept of "winning" is meaningless for the reason you gave. With world coins, a large proportion of the better examples are also in either NGC or PCGS holders and not eligible.

The second is that most sets are composed of overwhelmingly common coins where there is no practical difference between many. The coins are interchangeable to me and most other collectors.

• Options

@Clio said:

@Cladiator said:

Used to be exclusively half dimes but now it's a little bit of a lot of things, light and dark side.

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

I use it for the showcase. It helps organize my collection and I like the presentation options with true views. I have had 2 specific issues with it since the beginning, but that does not ruin the experience.

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several sets ongoing based on my main Liberty $2.50 PCGS/CAC set.

• Options

I've been working on my PCGS set registry for a little over a year now, and though it's been slow progress, I've really enjoyed it! Here are my toned Lincoln cent sets:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/mysets

• Options

The one thing about it is that it IMHO is just too expensive. I have been collecting in my area(s) for many years and know that there are a few that I would demolish the top sets. If I was subsidized in submitting NGC or even some raw coins I would do it. I kind of laughed at some of the Victorian silver and George V and VI registration sets and hope the owners don't get too full of themselves (as I remember one person crowing about).

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    The one thing about it is that it IMHO is just too expensive. I have been collecting in my area(s) for many years and know that there are a few that I would demolish the top sets. If I was subsidized in submitting NGC or even some raw coins I would do it. I kind of laughed at some of the Victorian silver and George V and VI registration sets and hope the owners don't get too full of themselves (as I remember one person crowing about).

You talk about me like I'm not even here haha. I like GV shillings quite a bit, can't speak for the others. I enjoy seeing what's out there in a series and what pieces are exceptional for the series vs common. Mintages rarely relay that information but when you get people attempting to assemble a set of high grade coins you start seeing where the real rarities of a series are. Currently looking at all the 1920 Shillings I can trying to find one that has a lion's face. :D

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread just got way more interesting. 🤣

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big PCGS cocktail party for all PCGS registry members FUN show January 5 2023 ….4-6 pm at the Orange County convention center😄

Who’s going 😉?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@bidask said:
    Big PCGS cocktail party for all PCGS registry members FUN show January 5 2023 ….4-6 pm at the Orange County convention center😄

Who’s going 😉?

Don't think my registry sets warrant a pigeontail party much less a cocktail party :D I will be at the FUN show though.

• Options

You talk about me like I'm not even here haha. I like GV shillings quite a bit, can't speak for the others. I enjoy seeing what's out there in a series and what pieces are exceptional for the series vs common. Mintages rarely relay that information but when you get people attempting to assemble a set of high grade coins you start seeing where the real rarities of a series are. Currently looking at all the 1920 Shillings I can trying to find one that has a lion's face. :D

Ah sorry not personal, but shillings are right up my alley and have taken great care to put together a set 1838-1970 that is pretty tough amongst others & the 1920s is where I really put a lot of emphases some years back. Anyway, here is my 1920:
    https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/29813704_46971095_max.jpg

• Options

@7Jaguars said:

Ah sorry not personal, but shillings are right up my alley and have taken great care to put together a set 1838-1970 that is pretty tough amongst others & the 1920s is where I really put a lot of emphases some years back. Anyway, here is my 1920:
    https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/29813704_46971095_max.jpg

It's okay, personally I don't respect you enough to take your crowing about seriously :)

Nice 1920