Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Posted at the end: GTG - Large Cent

Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 20, 2022 2:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Apologies in advance for the few wispy hairlines on the holder that need to be polished out.
The reverse is rotated, the photo was taken using the same holder orientation, background, and lighting:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Comments

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to say MS63... and Wow! Love the die breaks...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

How about MS-62?

Young Numismatist

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

58+

Mr_Spud

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 and also liking the die cracks

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

4bn

Tom

• Options
    NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    1. Nice coin
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS61.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful N-5 MS63.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd guess 58

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-63BN

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great die cracks... I am thinking MS63... I will not be surprised at 64 though... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Beautiful N-5 MS63.
    Jim

Did you use the die breaks or the “horned 8” to attribute it, Jim?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2022 10:16AM

The die breaks got my attention and the "horned 8" made me comfortable. Very nice coin, Greg. LDS right?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 63BN

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't tell if it's Unc or AU58 from the images, but that's a great looking coin.

So, somewhere between 58 and 63+BN, although I'm leaning towards 58

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au63

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

MS62 EAC net vg10

• Options

@tcollects said:
    MS62 EAC net vg10

Pretty much! But then you look at the asking price and priced like a commercial 64.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Like the peripheral cracks.
  • Options

I'm impressed, Greg. Did not see any wear, just for practical knowledge, where is the wear visible? 58 is about my most favorite grade. Now moreso.
    Jim

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    I'm impressed, Greg. Did not see any wear, just for practical knowledge, where is the wear visible? 58 is about my most favorite grade. Now moreso.
    Jim

This one is a head scratcher, Jim.
    I don’t see wear on it. Perhaps they needed better luster? But I have another cent in a 62 holder with less luster than this one. And another with great luster and the slightest trace of rub, and it’s in a 55 holder.

• Options

Well, as you know, I do not care for the classic head look on the large cents, but that one would be a keeper.
    Congrats.
    Jim

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice chocolate brown cent.

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

Luster is why I said AU. Looks nice. I would be proud to own it.

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful, I was going to say 62 before I saw the reveal, I don't quite see AU from the pics, but I'm sure it would help to see it in hand :)
    Love the die breaks between the stars!

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ring around the rosie! Or stars.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly don't see any wear either... beautiful!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at MS63. Nice coin.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Thanks all for the guesses and comments.

This came from the personal collection of an EAC dealer/collector friend. I got a shot at some of them after slabbing some years back, putting the proceeds into his family trust after he turned 80.

nice for an AU58

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I was way off on that one.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off to CAC???

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has distinctive quality, I like it.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. Shows the slightest rub over the ear and top of the hair bun. If submitted today would likely be MS62.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful coin... it's not always about plastic. There are challenges but not unreasonable challenges and I was not in the MS camp even though it was a reasonable place to be.

On a side note and turning the clock back, the coin really is MS but experienced handling that by today's expectations misses that expectation

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Wonderful coin... it's not always about plastic. There are challenges but not unreasonable challenges and I was not in the MS camp even though it was a reasonable place to be.

On a side note and turning the clock back, the coin really is MS but experienced handling that by today's expectations misses that expectation

Agree - it’s not always about the plastic. In this case a quick glance with my large, low power magnifier was all I needed to add this to the group I was buying, when it was priced at strong AU money. It’s a tougher coin, and it’s all there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file