Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strange Kenmedy

Has anyone ever come across a half dollar missing the clad layer? I have a 1999 P Kennedy and it's clearly been handled by Mike Tyson, but aside from the damage it really seems to me that this is just a copper

slug.

Comments

• Options

Just so I can better educate myself what tells you it's not just missing clad layer so I don't make this mistake again?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

It also appears to me to be a damaged coin. This has the look of something that was in an acidic environment, whether dropped in soil or actually exposed to liquid acids.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you weigh it?

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Knoxx said:
    Just so I can better educate myself what tells you it's not just missing clad layer so I don't make this mistake again?

It couldn't possibly be "a" missing clad layer because both sides look the same.

It could possibly have missing clad layers on both sides. The chance of that isn't zero... but it's so close to zero that there might not be a single example known for any Kennedy half dollar.

In contrast it is incredibly easy for a coin to become discolored by any number of ways.

Since this coin unquestionably IS discolored -- look especially at the left side of the reverse -- there's really nothing else to consider.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Knoxx... Welcome aboard. This is a heavily damaged coin, and severely discolored due to a harsh environment. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Corroded.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

It weighs 9.1

• Options

• Options

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2022 11:59AM

Are you sending yours in to be graded/slabbed?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Should I? I was hoping for some advise im kinda fresh. I'm a disabled Vet who lacked purpose so only been doing this for like 10 months but it has saved my life. But, again I'm kind of nervous I don't want to embarrass myself.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Knoxx said:
    Should I? I was hoping for some advise im kinda fresh. I'm a disabled Vet who lacked purpose so only been doing this for like 10 months but it has saved my life. But, again I'm kind of nervous I don't want to embarrass myself.

Welcome to the forum and please don’t worry about embarrassing yourself. None of us know close to everything about coins.
    Based on the images provided and the feedback posted, it doesn’t sound as if the coin merits submission for grading. I believe that would be a waste of your money.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2022 12:41PM

OK, so an example does exist. Now that you have something to compare against, you should be able to point to at least three major differences between your example and the certified example.

Should you submit? Between slabbing fees and postage both ways, it will cost over $100 to submit your example. Your example is clearly "not the same" as the slabbed example shown, so you know in advance what you will get from your $100+ outlay...

Edit: The auction description (which you didn't include above) SAYS what the diagnostics are:

1999-P 50C Kennedy Half Dollar -- Struck on an 8.5 gram Copper Core, No Outer Clad Layers -- AU58 PCGS. Since 1971, Kennedy halves struck for commerce have two outer layers of 75% copper and 25% nickel, surrounding a 100% copper core. Rarely, one side of a Kennedy half will be missing one of its clad layers. The error occurs when blanks are cut from the start or end of a clad coinage strip, and one or both ends have a protruding middle copper layer. It is extremely rare for both clad layers to be absent. One diagnostic for such an error is that the peripheries will be softly struck, since the planchet is insufficiently thick to fill the die chamber. Another diagnostic, of course, is that the coin will have the reddish color of the copper core. Both diagnostics are met by the present piece, which has a satiny surface and minimal marks.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to see the edge of your coin. That could tell more.

• Options

I could care less if it is or isn't, I'm not trying to sell it so I'll get that out of the way. Im just genuinely interested in idea of this and how it happened and or if it did or didn't...im not clai.ing it to be or not be anything other then what it is. This is something I obtained from my mother and I cherish it regardless so my goal is knowledge that all.

• Options

I have 5 other coins I have questions about should I begin other discussions?

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @Knoxx said:

I have 5 other coins I have questions about should I begin other discussions?

You may want to discuss them together if they are related, but it's up to you.

• Options

Uhm, well unless anyone feels like there's anything more to say about this kennedy or a definitive piece of guidance as to what I should do with it... I do have another I'd Like to discuss with the people in here rn.

• Options

The edge of your coin looks smooth like it has been spooned or some other form of post mint damage. (PMD)
    Hold on to it and maybe down the road you can take it to a coin shop or coin show for in hand inspection by an expert.

Start a new thread for your other coins.

• Options

It said that that would happen it'd be weak around the perimeter I can see the light riveting with my loop all around it

• Options

Definitely not shaved.

• Options

I can almost guarantee the same for the known.

• Options

• Options

Is that lamination on the 1909 vbd? And is that blockage on the nickel reverse?

• Options

• Options

• Options

The vdb looks like it might be an improper alloy mix but could also just be a stain, the nickel is heat damage PMD.

• Options

Figured with the nickel....I bo7ght the 1909 at coin show and it said lamination but I was kinda questioning it

• Options

I see no error on the buffalo nickel, either.

• Options

I just liked the tone I don't know.why it loaded pictures I didn't choose I didn't mean to post those im sorry

• Options

I'm jot sure if you can see b7t the 1951 wheat, how come it turned purple like that its a very nice penny not many dings or nicks but is that from heat? I won't lie I heard of them showing up on cemtavos and got excited when I saw it the first time...

• Options
    edited November 19, 2022 2:24PM

Bronze/brass coins can develop colorful toning like that in response to sulfur in the environment. Also note that the silver quarter next to it is toned, as well.

• Options

That quarters one my favorites its has a good tone 1948 s

• Options

Is that machine doubling because in one way it does have a flat shelf like quality but it also is true from the b across te the r in liberty

Becau
    S

• Options

Yes, machine doubling.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The following site has lots of good information on doubled dies and characteristics. It's worth taking the tie to bookmark and study

https://www.doubleddie.com/58222.html
    https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 48 quarter is nice.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

OH please - not the magnified pictures again.......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file