Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinion on Value? PCGS price guide a bit not super helpful

CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2022 8:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I need $, so am thinking of selling these. What is your honest opinion on the value of these coins? PCGS price guide a bit wonky. Says $850 for the 81-CC, $675 for the 90-CC and 525 for the 80-s DMPL. I’m going to be adding some other ones shortly.

Prices I paid:
1880-S MS64 DMPL PCGS OGH $456 some small hairlines in on reverse

1881-CC MS63 PCGS $660 (only issue I see is the rather “large” scuff on the obverse near the bottom, and the strike on the breast on reverse).

1890-CC AU58 PCGS all around looks nice for a 58. Bit of stuff near the “we”

Some more:
MS63 NGC $552 1878-CC

PCGS OGH MS63 1887-O $360

PCGS 1898-O MS66 $280

update on my last (and favorite NEWPS). I’m still convinced it’s a MS100

Comments

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the above will have enough current auction records to determine what they have been selling for recently.

From the pcgs price guide page that you mentioned you can click the blue pcgs# and it will take you to the coinfacts page for the coin. This will list the last 5 pcgs auctions and ngc auctions and may show some for sale. If you want more auction data then click the auctions pcgs graded or ngc graded (they now go to the same). You can sort the auction page to your specific grades. Also if any are cac then note that. Additionally if any that auctioned were cac then note that. Generally they are more.

One page for 1880S 64 dimple where the last 5 sold for 384 to 456.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1880-s-1-dmpl/97119

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3 your little kitty! :)

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking cat!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgans are common coins. The price guide probably represents the highest you can expect to get for coins in those grades.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins.... The CC's should do well. Cute kitten too. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auction records are abundant. And there's eBay. Dealer members may be able to provide some generalizations as to Morgans in the market, but since there are millions of them graded....

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2022 9:07AM

I like a big picture overview.

I look at multiple sources to get a good overview - PCGS MV and CPG (which is based on CDN bid). I also refer to Coin Prices magazine. For NGC - NGC Cert verify / NGC PG. Also look at auction history.

Then it comes down to where I view coin in grade range PQ, Average quality, etc.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

I rarely use the values listed in the price guide, I use the recent auction sales history.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭

How much for the kitty?

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at auction results on GC and you’ll get a pretty good idea. Your purchase price makes absolutely no difference when selling.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Kitty! the coins are nice too.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is an absolute treasure trove of data for completed sales and current asking prices on popular coins such as Morgan dollars. There is no need to ask us what they are worth.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@lilolme said:
    All of the above will have enough current auction records to determine what they have been selling for recently.

From the pcgs price guide page that you mentioned you can click the blue pcgs# and it will take you to the coinfacts page for the coin. This will list the last 5 pcgs auctions and ngc auctions and may show some for sale. If you want more auction data then click the auctions pcgs graded or ngc graded (they now go to the same). You can sort the auction page to your specific grades. Also if any are cac then note that. Additionally if any that auctioned were cac then note that. Generally they are more.

Appreciate it. One of them didn’t have any recent ones in its grade

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    <3 your little kitty! :)

@justindan said:
    Great looking cat!

Thank you! I love Shadow.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    Morgans are common coins. The price guide probably represents the highest you can expect to get for coins in those grades.

@oldabeintx said:
    Auction records are abundant. And there's eBay. Dealer members may be able to provide some generalizations as to Morgans in the market, but since there are millions of them graded....

I’ll look through the records again. All are at least a few months old on the pcgs app. I’ll try eBay.

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    I like a big picture overview.

I look at multiple sources to get a good overview - PCGS MV and CPG (which is based on CDN bid). I also refer to Coin Prices magazine. For NGC - NGC Cert verify / NGC PG. Also look at auction history.

Then it comes down to where I view coin in grade range PQ, Average quality, etc.

MV? CPG? Are these the ones that require subscriptions like grade sheet?

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    Beautiful Kitty! the coins are nice too.

Should I send him into our hosts? Will he straight grade?

• Options

@Glen2022 said:
    How much for the kitty?

One trillion dollars*

*read in that bald Bond villain petting a white cat in I think a tower in vegas

• Options
    edited November 10, 2022 6:43PM

I find my Pcgs app, PCGS CF, certificate verify, PCGS inventory manager, PCGS priceguide both very accurate and helpful. It’s a treasure trove of handy data.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalifornianKing said:

@291fifth said:

@oldabeintx said:

I’ll look through the records again. All are at least a few months old on the pcgs app. I’ll try eBay.

A few months doesn’t really make a difference in the common date Morgan market, it’s not that volatile.

I would visit GreatCollections, they will probably have abundant sales of these type of coins in the archives. A great venue if you decide to consign there, as well. They don’t take the best photos but I don’t think it will make much of a difference for these.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@CalifornianKing said:

@lilolme said:

Not sure which one you are referring to and didn't want to go check them all. However, you can also check adjacent grades and do comparisons and include the price guide ratios. Also on the auction prices realized if you click on the Include All (it is normally exclude eBay) then there could be a few more show up. Here is the 90Cc au58 but with au55 and eBay included. Might want to double check the ebay ones (and why pcgs has a 'warning' when you include them).

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/details/1890-cc-ms/7198

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    I find my Pcgs app, PCGS CF, certificate verify, PCGS inventory manager, PCGS priceguide both very accurate and helpful. It’s a treasure trove of handy data.

Thank you. I used the PCGS website and it had a ton more info then the app

• Options

@lilolme said:

@CalifornianKing said:

@lilolme said:

Not sure which one you are referring to and didn't want to go check them all. However, you can also check adjacent grades and do comparisons and include the price guide ratios. Also on the auction prices realized if you click on the Include All (it is normally exclude eBay) then there could be a few more show up. Here is the 90Cc au58 but with au55 and eBay included. Might want to double check the ebay ones (and why pcgs has a 'warning' when you include them).

The 81-cc. In the app for pcgs only mine was showing from non eBay. Appreciate your help.

• Options

@CalifornianKing said:

@lilolme said:

@CalifornianKing said:

@lilolme said:

The 81-cc. In the app for pcgs only mine was showing from non eBay. Appreciate your help.

Here is what I see for the 1881CC MS63. In the APR I included the MS62 through MS64 since the price guide was relatively tight and one can compare how the 62 and 64 are selling relative to the price guide (% below). Also can look and see if the APR have move much in the last few months (generally not) so fairly steady. Also can look at ones for sale now and at auction now. Again check for the cac and non-cac or the 'look' of the coin (toning or not....).

• Options
    edited November 11, 2022 7:30AM

I use the super PCGS registry app for inventory of my PCGS coins. I find their valuations very accurate plus automatic update. Pop data updated too. I can always look at auc data. Works for me! Many are world so no MV available I just input my price in that slot - it could be cost plus or what eBay seller has it priced at,etc. I like the way it gives me total PCGS slabs, MV. For my NGC, ANACs ICG material use excel spreadsheet for that inventory.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file