Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1970 Washington quarter alignment error

I have a 1970 d mint mark with both both sides facing up. I’m holding my quarter in the mirror so you can see. Is this worth anything?

Comments

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you post a close up of each side individually? Theres a possibility it may be a counterfeit, and closer inspection of each side could help determine for sure :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2022 12:50PM

A close up of the edge/rim may also help, it doesn't look reeded in the pic

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

That rim fin looks quite unusual, unless the edge was spooned. Looking forward to more photos.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its already.listed on the BST. :|

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

Below “quarter dollar” looks like it has a seam that is visible, which would indicate it is not genuine (two different quarters machined down and then fastened together). You should post better pictures…

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like something similar to a magician's coin in that there appears to be a seam running around the reverse edge. If so, then this is two coins sandwiched together.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    Looks like something similar to a magician's coin in that there appears to be a seam running around the reverse edge. If so, then this is two coins sandwiched together.

Good point. It possibly is that. It might pop open to reveal another coin, etc.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2022 1:30PM

Already listed on eBay, as well, at a $1,000 starting bid:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125588021146

If it turns out to be a legit error, it's worth something, but not anywhere close to the asking price.

• Options

I listed it on eBay. I took it to every coin store around here it’s a legit quarter I will post more pics!

• Options
    KassibarnesKassibarnes Posts: 14
    edited October 31, 2022 1:49PM

I joined in hopes to find out opinions on a value because I have no clue what it would be worth. 🙃

• Options

@Kassibarnes said:
    I took it to every coin store around here it’s a legit quarter.

How much did they offer you for it? ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kassibarnes .... Welcome aboard. Your coin appears to be a 'manufactured' coin... We could use better pictures... Of the edge (several), clearly focused pictures of both sides.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

kinda looks like a legit 180 rotated from the images above this post. medal alignment, not coin alignment.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

• Options

Everywhere I took it said they have never seen one with that much of a rotation. And they weren’t sure what it would be worth. They all said to send it in and have it graded.

• Options

If you drop it (not from too high) on a table does it sound like a normal quarter?

If it checks out then I'm not sure on value, but it would be a great find.

• Options

We still have not seen any clear photos of the edge of the coin.

Certified and uncirculated Washington quarters with rotated die errors have sold for around $100-$200 at auction. I would expect an uncertified, circulated example to sell for significantly less than that. Probably no more than $50 would be my guess.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't hold your coins like that. Hold them between your fingers by the edges as if you were holding an egg up to the light and attempting to look through it.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kassibarnes said:

Hands need moisterizer??????

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

I think the camera is focusing on your hands/fingers.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stand it on its edge leaning on something, shoot it from the side with both hands.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2022 6:26PM

@Kassibarnes
    I am not a photographer. just a cheap snap-o'metic type but here is my cheap way to get the edge focus. Cut a small slit into a piece of paper. Then insert the coin through the paper slit. You can adjust the light better than mine.
    Edit: I should add don't do this with some expensive or proof coin or high grade as might get a hairline but it won't hurt that one you have.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s an altered coin the copper core shown even in the blurry photos should not look like that

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file