Home Sports Talk
Options

The greatest catch you've ever seen?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 29, 2022 1:54PM in Sports Talk

Jerry Jones commented recently that OBJ's one handed snag is the greatest catch he's ever seen. What's the best catch you've ever seen?

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blaine Stambaugh....Corona National Little League. So,....Blaine was in left field. A fly ball came his way. Over his head. He didn't run back to catch it.......Instead, he threw his glove into the air......the ball went into the glove.....and then Blaine caught the glove when it came down!.....OUT!.....I was there. I saw it.......GREATEST CATCH I EVER SAW!!!!!

There's More Than One Way To Skin A Cat!.....

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Jerry Jones commented recently that OBJ's one handed snag is the greatest catch he's ever seen. What's the best catch you've ever seen?

You are misquoting Mr. Jones @doubledragon. He was on local sports radio being interviewed, and he was asked about OBJ as part of questioning regarding adding a new receiver. He said that OBJ had made the greatest catch he ever saw other than the Dez catch. https://youtu.be/uQxp-A5uvkA

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

These three will always be contenders imo...

...but if I had to pick just one,its this one. 😉

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

You are misquoting Mr. Jones @doubledragon. He was on local sports radio being interviewed, and he was asked about OBJ as part of questioning regarding adding a new receiver. He said that OBJ had made the greatest catch he ever saw other than the Dez catch. https://youtu.be/uQxp-A5uvkA

You're talking about this catch, it was a great catch, but I wouldn't say it was anywhere near the greatest catch I've ever seen.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2022 4:39AM

Lynn Swann's Super Bowl catch was one of the best I've ever seen.

• Options

Max McGee's catch in Super Bowl I was one of the best ever. He reached behind with one hand while a defender was lunging at the ball, and pulled it back around for the catch.

• Options

This catch from Chris Hemdon was unbelievable.

• Options

This George Pickens catch was ridiculous.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

You're talking about this catch, it was a great catch, but I wouldn't say it was anywhere near the greatest catch I've ever seen.

I'm not saying that either. I'm just saying that I heard that interview and Jerry Jones had to throw in something about Dez's catch.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I'm not saying that either. I'm just saying that I heard that interview and Jerry Jones had to throw in something about Dez's catch.

I knew he made that comment about the Dez Bryant catch, but I didn't pay any attention to it because I figured he was just being Cowboys biased, he just had to include a Cowboys catch into the discussion.

• Options

This was a sick catch by Reggie Wayne, he turned what should have been an interception into a touchdown.

• Options

Larry Fitzgerald, this is one of the greatest catches I've ever seen, midair, spinning around, with one hand.

• Options

Deandre Hopkins.

• Options

This Martavis Bryant catch is just criminal.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2022 5:17PM

Check out this catch by Chris Owusu, absolutely ridiculous, the ball pops up and he catches it after being dragged down.

• Options

Julio Jones is one of the best to ever do it.

• Options

I love guys that have excellent footwork, they can keep those feet inbounds, check out Julio Jones footwoork.

• Options

Calvin Johnson was another guy with beautiful footwork.

• Options

God I love the wide receiver position, it's such an art form. This stuff gets me excited!

• Options

Man, Julio Jones route running is beautiful, look at him break the defenders ankles.

• Options

I miss watching Calvin Johnson, I remember opposing teams were terrified of him, the constant double teaming.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2022 6:41PM

A bad man, they were scared to death of him.

• Options

And look at how Calvin Johnson makes the adjustment on the ball, a thing of beauty.

• Options

Randall Cobb.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2022 6:55PM

Brandon Marshall. Notice how the defender hooks left his arm.

• Options

The great Marvin Harrison.

• Options

Look at this sideline grab by Jordy Nelson, and the feet inbounds, you just can't defend that.

• Options

Ok, that's enough for today, I better be getting to bed. I'll try to find some over the shoulder catch gifs tomorrow, but I'm not promising anything. Goodnight everyone!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2022 8:29PM

Tyreek Hill when he was with the Chiefs made a TD catch so good everybody except me apparentley thought the
    ball hit the ground. They showed the replay and then I knew without a doubt it didn't touch the ground.I'm screaming
    at the TV, 'REVIEW IT, REVIEW IT, and "THROW THE FLAG REID YOU DUMB&*#!
    Tyreek even thought it hit the ground because during the process of catching it he lost sight of it.
    When Reid calmly looked at his playbook with no emotion whatsoever and did not throw the flag,
    that was as pissed as I had been in a long time. I'm thinking, if I saw in real time that the ball never hit the
    ground, why in hell didn't the Chiefs replay crew, who should have been fired on the spot and kicked out of the stadium.

EDIT- I found a video of the catch but don't know how to post videos'. Still ticks me off.
    It was third down and instead of getting a legit TD at the drop of a red flag, we moronically punt the ball away.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Darin said:
    Tyreek Hill when he was with the Chiefs made a TD catch so good everybody except me apparentley thought the
    ball hit the ground. They showed the replay and then I knew without a doubt it didn't touch the ground.I'm screaming
    at the TV, 'REVIEW IT, REVIEW IT, and "THROW THE FLAG REID YOU DUMB&*#!
    Tyreek even thought it hit the ground because during the process of catching it he lost sight of it.
    When Reid calmly looked at his playbook with no emotion whatsoever and did not throw the flag,
    that was as pissed as I had been in a long time. I'm thinking, if I saw in real time that the ball never hit the
    ground, why in hell didn't the Chiefs replay crew, who should have been fired on the spot and kicked out of the stadium.

EDIT- I found a video of the catch but don't know how to post videos'. Still ticks me off.
    It was third down and instead of getting a legit TD at the drop of a red flag, we moronically punt the ball away.

I know the catch you've talking about, I found the video on youtube but the NFL has a copyright on youtube videos and you have to go to their website to watch it. I took the liberty of making a gif of it, I wanted to make a gif of the entire thing, but they only allow you to have 10 seconds. It would've been a touchdown for sure, Tyreek Hill got up and tossed the ball to the ref, he never even realized he caught it, and of course the Chiefs punted the ball away.

• Options

Here is a better gif I made of the Tyreek Hill catch, you can see it up close, unbelievable play.

• Options

Doug Baldwin has some great hands, watch him pluck this ball out of the air.

• Options

Doug Baldwin once caught a ball using his butt.

• Options

Doug Baldwin once stole a touchdown catch from his own teammate.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double D thanks for posting the Tyreek catch.
    I remember seeing several of the catches you've posted but many
    of them I've never seen. Some amazing catches for sure!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Darin said:
    Double D thanks for posting the Tyreek catch.
    I remember seeing several of the catches you've posted but many
    of them I've never seen. Some amazing catches for sure!

Thanks buddy, I'm glad you enjoyed it. 🍻

• Options

I just want to add want this one by Lynn Swann, he had such great hands and footwork, look at him go up and snatch this ball over his shoulder and tightrope to stay in bounds, a thing of beauty.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2022 8:25AM

I was thinking baseball. In that case, I’d go with Willie Mays in the 1954 World Series and I remember San Francisco Giant, Kevin Mitchell, casually grabbing an outfield fly with his bare hand on the left field foul line.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4u0MzrYPm4w

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the catches here are from the last 10 years or so. Incredible athleticism, but I wonder how many would have been made without the sticky gloves that receivers wear these days.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:
    Most of the catches here are from the last 10 years or so. Incredible athleticism, but I wonder how many would have been made without the sticky gloves that receivers wear these days.

You are correct about the gloves.

And anytime this topic is brought up, I like to take the liberty to interject something...Jerry Rice went very hard against Tom Brady calling him a cheater. Jerry Rice also used stickum.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wasn't a hard catch, and it beat the runner by a mile and a half, but it was the catch that won the 1985 World Series for the St. Louis Cardinals over the Kansas City Royals, so it's the "greatest" in that sense.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I just want to add want this one by Lynn Swann, he had such great hands and footwork, look at him go up and snatch this ball over his shoulder and tightrope to stay in bounds, a thing of beauty.

To be honest, I don't think this would be the best catch in the NFL in any random week.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:

To be honest, I don't think this would be the best catch in the NFL in any random week.

I think that the footwork here is amazing. What stands out to me is the misplay by the DB. At least I see it as a misplay. He should have played Swann tighter and closer, forcing him to get out of bounds and unable to make the catch.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:

It was a beautiful catch, the way he leaped up grabbed the ball and then tightroped, the catch actually has a name, it's called "the kangaroo catch". It looked like the pass was going to fly out of bounds, but Swann leaped up and plucked it in. Here is what Swann said about it:

"I needed to make that first one. It didn't matter if it was a hook or a slant. After the concussion, I just needed a catch for the psychological boost. I needed it to get back on the horse, so to speak."

"Jack Ham was just telling me the other day that he and Andy Russell were right there on the sideline where I made the catch," Swann said. "They thought the ball was going out of bounds. Hammer said he thought he had a better chance of catching it than I did."

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2022 9:49PM

@thisistheshow said:

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:

I think that the footwork here is amazing.

Why? He's literally running in a straight line, jumps up straight, and his feet come down basically where he was running. It's a wonderful catch, don't get me wrong, but we see guys contorting their bodies far more than this every single week to toe tap the sidelines.

Add to it that the catch itself is not that hard - just jump straight to catch a ball directly in an easy catch radius. The only difficulty is the DB flying by possibly being a distraction but Swann is looking back, so no distraction.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2022 7:59AM

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

to me, it also means what it means in the moment, if it were simply amazing athletics, I have seen DeAndre Hopkins make several catches that were mind boggling, but in terms of significance, 2 stand out:

The first one, 'The Catch' where legends were made that will last for generations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLsFSsHnoxM

"This play ended the old era of football and began a new one we’re still in. Bill Walsh, joe Montana, Dwight Clark. Y’all really changed the game"

"Bill Walsh - The true and ultimate offensive mind of all time 🔥🔥"

"That was a great game winning play but also, one of the most brilliant drives of all time. Dallas was playing zone earlier in the drive and the Niners ran the ball because the DB's were playing pass."

And on and on...................

The second, well, Skol!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwGc4N2H0eQ

Serious drama, listen in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Viet7dTEkBA

Dude Keenum, dude Diggs. Wow! I dropped over dead when Keenum did that!

Who dat? Bwah!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUanwuuGj3Y

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2022 8:58PM

Wrong thread sorry, meant for Baker thread so deleted.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...