Home Precious Metals
Options

50 basis points is a Pivot................SO HOW DO YOU VIEW A PAUSE ???

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:
    @psuman08 said: “He doesn't want to go down in history as another Arthur Burns or the other Fed chairs who allowed inflation to gradually rise and never really controlled it in the '60s and '70s.”

Yes. I’m surprised at how few people appreciate this. The guy is serious, he definitely cares about his legacy and he will not bow to political pressure.

like the two before him he is over his head as the corner he is painted into continues to get smaller.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yawn, still busy rooting for the end of the world. FRWRD!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I smell prey.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    If rates went to zero as derry surmised then there would be substantial capital gain. A 5yr bond with a 5% coupon could be trading near 120 if rates went to zero next year. This should probably be the Opinion Forum.

It's not opinion jmski. It's how bond prices are calculated. I thought you took college finance?

And what do you suppose would happen to stocks if rates went to zero? When stocks begin to crash due to high rates, do you think we're going to see the mother of all QE? I don't see any other way it can go.

Well, stocks were at all time highs when rates were at zero. Were they not?

So what happened to stocks with all the other QE programs?

But there's not going to be any "mother of all QE" anytime soon

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another blatant indicator of how upside down finance has become - https://zerohedge.com/markets/biden-punishes-responsibility-new-mortgage-equity-program-begins

Punishing new home buyers with good credit scores. Rewarding poor credit scores. Things won't end well with this either.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Another blatant indicator of how upside down finance has become - https://zerohedge.com/markets/biden-punishes-responsibility-new-mortgage-equity-program-begins

Punishing new home buyers with good credit scores. Rewarding poor credit scores. Things won't end well with this either.

Seems like.... this kinda happened before..... and did not end well at all.

----- kj
  • Options

This should probably be the Opinion Forum.

This comment was in an early draft that I decided to remove. I forgot to take it out. No biggie. It doesn't change what I think about the impact on the stock market of rates going to zero. Powell tried that already, in 2019 and the market wasn't happy about a rate decrease even then.

Well, stocks were at all time highs when rates were at zero. Were they not?

So what happened to stocks with all the other QE programs?

But there's not going to be any "mother of all QE" anytime soon

Clearly, we disagree.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem, as I see it, was that bringing rates down to zero facilitated an enormous bail out at the taxpayer expense. Providing you live in the USA and realized that the banks took the QE money and bought treasuries and reaped free 2% on their investment. Much like SVB did !!!!! Only they didn't fare so well, when the FED increased rates.

If anyone thinks US taxpayers are not footing the bill; I really don't know what to tell you. Study inflation? Study Banking, Real Estate and Insurance perhaps. I mean: I don't know, I think and I don't know. Then, I think again and I don't know what one liner will sum it all up.

We all ramble on and on and on. Face it. It's a mess.

How does this all relate to GOLD UP $35 today ???? Silver UP $.35 today as I write.

The entire banking system is in a quagmire with the Fed, politicians, stimmies, markets, and the 2008 KICKING the can down the road behavior by all previou mentioned parties

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    It doesn't change what I think about the impact on the stock market of rates going to zero. Powell tried that already, in 2019 and the market wasn't happy about a rate decrease even then.

The SP500 was up 29% in 2019. Only you would interpret that as "unhappy".

• Options
    edited May 3, 2023 4:55AM

Only you would ignore the fact that the Fed had to start cutting rates again 2019 because the stock market couldn't handle the rate increases of 2018.

Market manipulation at its worst.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

Only you would ignore the fact that the Fed had to start cutting rates again 2019 because the stock market couldn't handle the rate increases of 2018.

Market manipulation at its worst.

Lol. You said stocks don't like zero rates, now you agree that stocks went up.

Where is Rod Serling?

• Options

Lol. You said stocks don't like zero rates, now you agree that stocks went up.

My mistake. I wasn't clear when I was talking about 2019, but I wasn't wrong. To clarify - the stock market wasn't happy when Powell was raising rates in 2019, and that's why Powell backed off and started cutting rates back then. The market was unhappy until Powell started cutting rates.

What's going on now is similar to 2018, when the Fed was raising rates. There is a lag between the time that the Fed raises or cuts rates - a lag of about 6 to 8 months. The negative impact on the economy from the rate increases of the past year will continue to be negative for months, regardless of what the Fed does today. We haven't seen anything yet.

The economy is going to continue getting worse because of the higher interest rates, but the higher interest rates won't do jack to fight inflation. And when the Fed actually does pivot and start lowering rates, the impact of all the free money they've used to bail out the banking system by buying discounted debt that is priced to maturity instead of being priced at market - all of this is going to be highly inflationary.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    What is a normal days supply?

Tucker Carlson covered this a few days ago, but I also read a piece on ZeroHedge (I think it was there) that puts it in a slightly different light, but not too significantly. Tucker's number would be as if all the refineries in the US were to shut down - the existing supply would have only held for 25 days (as of last week).

However, the ZeroHedge piece noted that refineries are still producing diesel which offsets some of the shrinkage in supplies. At the same time, the remaining reserves are the lowest in a number of years (I don't recall the number of years, but I think it was that these inventory levels are the lowest going back to 2008, but I could be wrong about that.

Supplies are low and still shrinking, while winter demand for No.2 Fuel Oil (essentially the same as No. 2 Diesel) is going to be increasing, particularly in the Northeast.

This "news" faded away. Yet diesel inventories are about the same today as then.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=WDISTUS1&f=W

Funny how this all occurred around election time. They try to manipulate us through fear. And it worked on some.

Same fear mongering takes place in the other asset classes.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    ll of this is going to be highly inflationary.

Doubtful. There are other offsetting factors other than money supply (which has fallen off a cliff if you look at the M2 monetary aggregates here or in the EU).

Plenty of deflationary influences at work. I doubt inflation is going back to 2% anytime soon, but it's not going back to 8-10%, either.

• Options

Plenty of deflationary influences at work. I doubt inflation is going back to 2% anytime soon, but it's not going back to 8-10%, either.

There's no doubt that the whole monetary system is in trouble. Each swing in the pendulum is getting more extreme.

Hyperinflation & massive bailouts - or a bond market crash & a commercial real estate crash - resulting in a massive stock market crash & a huge loss in equity - it's now one or the other.

More inflation & more spending is always the way that they "solve" the problem. I don't think it will work this time. And we're supposed to trust these people?

Got precious metals?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Pause tells me FED doesn't know which direction to go. they will raise rates.

• Options

Sometimes I think its a slow burn of the tax payor via inflation. Sometimes. Not so much what can the fed correct, but how much can the taxpayer stand. Inflation is the monetization of the issues problem, taxes aren't inverse to an inflationary policy that brings a stealth revenue.

• Options

@Soldi said:
    but how much can the taxpayer stand. Inflation is the monetization of the issues problem, taxes aren't inverse to an inflationary policy that brings a stealth revenue.

the taxpayer will stand what he is told (by a now heavily armed IRS) to stand.

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

Pause tells me the FED was giving banks a month to straighten out their balance sheets.

• Options

pause is not a pivot

• Options

@psuman08 said:
    Pause tells me the FED was giving banks a month to straighten out their balance sheets.

So, I hear.

My understanding is that the Fed is straightening them out already. How? Non-QE , QE aka purchaseing all the banks Bonds at full value aka 100% and not par of 80% and these have a much higher coupon.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭

@psuman08 said:

Fed Funds rate has nothing to do with bank balance sheets.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@psuman08 said:

Fed Funds rate has nothing to do with bank balance sheets.

Rising Interest Rates Complicate Banks’ Investment Portfolios

"While rising interest rates give banks opportunities to increase earnings by pushing up rates charged on loans, they also could increase the cost of liabilities and decrease the value of investment securities held as assets. Even unrealized losses—paper losses—in investment portfolios can have negative effects on liquidity and present funding challenges, earnings pressures and, in some cases, issues with capital."

• Options

@psuman08 said:

Pause tells me FED is once again scratching its head.

• Options

I don't believe in pauses.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2023 5:59PM

Did you listen to Jerome today?

Pivot is on the way.

What's going to cause thr Fed to start cutting? Interest rates, solvency crisis. 1.8 trillion in debt cost Interest alone.

Complicated Fed's in a box for sure.

• Options

@Soldi said:

Pivot is on the way.

Sorry but higher inflation is on the way.

• Options

@derryb said:

@Soldi said:

Pivot is on the way.

Sorry but higher inflation is on the way.

In the short term, but will still be here 6 months out and then pivot, pivot , pivot.

• Options

Inflation is going to be more than short term.

• Options

Only thing thats inflating right now is my savings accounts, 401K and IRA's. The gutter pile not so much. RGDS!

• Options

@derryb said:

Yes, but raising rates won't work , it won't work, it will not work, pivot , pivot is due by January. Yes , the Fed's not done raising , but things won't slow. The Fed's in a box with no way out and unless the economy is forced into an uncomfortable place of low growth the Fed cannot wreck the economy. 1.8 trillion in interest alone on the DEBT

• Options

Higher rates are the only tool the FED has to battle inflation. They cannot control supply, only demand.

• Options

@Soldi said:

@derryb said:

Yes, but raising rates won't work , it won't work, it will not work, pivot , pivot is due by January. Yes , the Fed's not done raising , but things won't slow. The Fed's in a box with no way out and unless the economy is forced into an uncomfortable place of low growth the Fed cannot wreck the economy. 1.8 trillion in interest alone on the DEBT

You've been preaching about a pivot for 9+ months now. Perhaps someday you will finally be correct....?, but I can guarantee you today is not the day. THKS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@Soldi said:

@derryb said:

You've been preaching about a pivot for 9+ months now. Perhaps someday you will finally be correct....?, but I can guarantee you today is not the day. THKS!

No I haven't been preaching

The OP was my opinion that an increase of 50 bp was a pivot.

No, you're wrong, not true, non e Vero, Apologize

• Options
    edited July 26, 2023 6:34PM

@derryb said:
    Higher rates are the only tool the FED has to battle inflation. They cannot control supply, only demand.

@derryb said:

It's either demand pull or cost push. So with the Covid pandemic kicking it off,, ....which is it?

What would Say, say?

Supply can create demand.

Lots of money sloshing around still? 

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market sells moldy bread. And people buy that ____ to make penicillin. Oops.... they grow it in a petty dish. > @cohodk said:

I smell. Pray !

Fixed it for ya.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    The market sells moldy bread. And people buy that ____ to make penicillin. Oops.... they grow it in a petty dish. > @cohodk said:

I smell. Pray !

Fixed it for ya.

petri ?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

I smell. Pray !

Fixed it for ya.

petri ?

I think he meant "pretty dish". ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Soldi said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

I smell. Pray !

Fixed it for ya.

petri ?

I think he meant "pretty dish". ;)

The Governor of South Dakota is "Pretty" hot. huh?

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only a Black Swan could take rates lower before next summer.

And we're spending trillions of dollars a year to prevent a Black Swan.

• Options

Does anyone really know what it's being spent on?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

it's being spent on destroying my purchasing power

• Options

@jmski52 said:

Does anyone really know what it's being spent on?

the stupid thing now is that it's spent on over 1 trillion $$ of interest alone.

I suspect the military, I have no proof

• Options
    edited August 1, 2023 8:25PM

The evidence:

Powell - “We don’t see ourselves getting inflation all the way back to 2% until 2025.”

"The Fed has long said that they will reach a “terminal rate” where they will do nothing further and just wait for inflation to come down on its own. But this is the first time Powell has said when he expects inflation to come back to the Fed’s target level even if they stop raising rates. It pulls the rug out from under those who expect rate cuts in 2024 or believe that the Fed won’t hike rates again this year."

The verdict:

"My (Rickards) conclusion: The Fed is not done and more rate hikes are coming. September is the most likely candidate for the next rate hike as of now."

No pivot anytime soon. Just the opposite as inflation continues to destroy our purchasing power. Got insurance?

Note: Rickards has been 100% correct on his forecasts of the past 12 consecutive FED meetings where new rates are determined. Dismiss him at your own peril.

• Options

@derryb said:
    The evidence:

Powell - “We don’t see ourselves getting inflation all the way back to 2% until 2025.”

"The Fed has long said that they will reach a “terminal rate” where they will do nothing further and just wait for inflation to come down on its own. But this is the first time Powell has said when he expects inflation to come back to the Fed’s target level even if they stop raising rates. It pulls the rug out from under those who expect rate cuts in 2024 or believe that the Fed won’t hike rates again this year."

The verdict:

"My (Rickards) conclusion: The Fed is not done and more rate hikes are coming. September is the most likely candidate for the next rate hike as of now."

No pivot anytime soon. Just the opposite as inflation continues to destroy our purchasing power. Got insurance?

Note: Rickards has been 100% correct on his forecasts of the past 12 consecutive FED meetings where new rates are determined. Dismiss him (yes, you Blitzboy) at your own peril.

Do the opposite of what Rickards has suggested for the past 3 decades and you are light years ahead of where he and his bunker doomsayers are today. RGDS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

Do the opposite of what Rickards has suggested for the past 3 decades and you are light years ahead of where he and his bunker doomsayers are today. RGDS!

Yes, follow Blitzboy's advice and you too can join the gutter club.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2023 7:48PM

Then of course RicKard's never says anything of substance; He just rambles on and on in a past tense amounting to nothing.

• Options

This thread really gained traction. Considering the OP at that time in anticipation of a Fed rate raise ,felt, thought, 50 basis points was Pivoting and would be good for metals prices. THREE MONTHS AGO.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2023 7:59PM

@Soldi said:
    Then of course RicKard's never says anything of substance; He just rambles on and on in a past tense amounting to nothing.

He told you exactly what to expect just as he correctly did before the last 12 FED moves on interest rates. I think I'll go with what he has to say until proven wrong, unless you or BlitzBoy can convince me you are better at reading the FED. LOL

• Options
    edited August 1, 2023 8:41PM

@derryb said:

@Soldi said:

He told you exactly what to expect just as he correctly did before the last 12 FED moves on interest rates. I think I'll go with what he has to say until proven wrong, unless you or BlitzBoy can convince me you are better at reading the FED. LOL

Hold it ! Slow down !! I'm gonna laminate that thought of yours and carry it around in my wallet.
    He says nothing. I've watched him CLICKBAIT on youtube for over the past week. Nothing. He says' "PLEASE LISTEN TO ME" then he regurgitates the past 15 years of history amounting to no opinion, nothing to say. NOTHING