Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it too dark? My new 1928 Peace dollar

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 27, 2022 9:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been searching, off and on, for a circulated 1928 Peace dollar for a while. Not for a Peace dollar set, but for a DANSCO type set that includes only semi-key date coins.
Most of this date comes either lightly cleaned or blotchy. This one seems just right- for my intent and purposes. Your thoughts?
Too dark for your taste?
(You won't hurt my feelings.)

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2022 11:12AM

Yeah, sorry. I don't mind some darkies only if it has hints of some color.
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭

Yep pretty dark but reverse rim ding turns me off

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t like it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too dark for me.... Nice obverse detail though.. The rim ding is not good. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

The darkness doesn't bother me as much as the Details worthy rim hit between UNITED and ONE.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

no, not for me

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

rim ding is a minus- beyond that the color is nor too dark but we go full circle back to the rim. Album coin- no submission

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I appreciate everyone's opinions.

peacockcoins

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too dark :(

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it seemed right for my purposes, I wouldn't be bothered by the darkness as much as the lighter round spots (around the date and below the neck, for example.)

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s a nice choice for your intended purpose.
    In a Peace dollar set, no.
    Circ type set of semi keys with similar appearances, yes.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color doesn't bother me, but the punch mark does.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

I got a coupla Peace / Morgans dark like that. Had 'em so long not sure if I bought them (in my youth) that way or if they got like that over time.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, yes and no color. Just gray.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like dark. It ain’t perfect, but I have settled for less quality in my compilations.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a little dark for me, but if you like it, that's all that matters.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the dark tone (not the hit) but check carefully for signs of pitting and other signs of corrosion. Black, fuzzy-looking gunk around the letters (not seen in this coin) often hides bright corroded surfaces.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dig it, especially for the purpose you have for it. The crazy big rim dings that can be clearly seen from both sides can be hard to get over. It's a circ coin so this rim ding doesn't bother me in the least. A coin of that grade is supposed to have issues and I'd rather them be issues from true circulation than issues from some coin doctor or well meaning collector years ago. Especially since it only impacts (no pun intended) the reverse of the coin. I do usually find fingerprints annoying but the one on the back of Liberty's head actually kind of works. It almost makes itself look like detail of her hair.

Nice pick up.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

IMO, it's too dark to look good in an album. In normal room lighting, it will look like a black hole. Under a nice bright desk lamp, you'll maybe see some detail. Your great idea for a Dansco album type set deserves a nicer example of this series.
    But if "This one seems just right- for my intent and purposes", then by all means use it.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, for this series.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep looking.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of the dark color, but as many have said that rim punch mark and the splotchy circles on the obv kill it for me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has character

Mr_Spud

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people like and would even pay extra for a 'black beauty'. I am not one of those people. I am also bothered by the rim ding.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    Some people like and would even pay extra for a 'black beauty'. I am not one of those people. I am also bothered by the rim ding.

I like "black beauties" (also my name for them). I don't pay extra for them, though. I'm also wary of them because I have a few that are charcoal briquets with environmental damage. For example, this coin has corrosion on the reverse.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 12:00AM

Here is my "Darkie". In which, I like!

1923p NGC ms 64

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2022 8:12PM

Yes and tarnish will get worse.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice date is all it has going for it. Just a tad bit too dark for me.

Martin

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it looks fine and is a good fit for an album. The rim hit already mentioned is a bit problematic but not the biggest deal for an album coin.

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    I think it looks fine and is a good fit for an album. The rim hit already mentioned is a bit problematic but not the biggest deal for an album coin.

I agree.
    Ownership usually alters opinion.
    Not my coin: "That rim ding is monsterous!"
    My coin: "That little tap on the rim gives the coin personality!"

:wink:

peacockcoins

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Mainly because I think it would look great if I pocket carried it for a few days. :)

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color doesn't bug me as much as the rim hit does, but for the intended collection, I think it would serve well.

...and a semi-key date Type Set would be a wonder to behold... please share!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

I like dark coins but I've learned by reading comments on threads like this that I may be in the minority. I appreciate when circulated coins show their age like the one you posted.

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it! :)
    I have a similar one somewhere but I cant seem to find a picture of it...

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think for a circ album it is an ok coin. For the right price though.

• Options
    rkprkp Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

Yes, too dark for my tastes. I think if it had more of a circulated cameo look on the obverse, it might be ok but as it sits now, not for me.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top of the reverse on this coin has gone too far in my opinion. This is often the result of an improperly rinsed dip. I a coin my my collection that has done this, unfortunately.m

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of that girl in High School, not really your type, not a great beauty, but there was just something about her...

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

The top of the reverse on this coin has gone too far in my opinion. This is often the result of an improperly rinsed dip. I a coin my my collection that has done this, unfortunately.m

Agreed, unfortunately. I have never submitted this coin because of the reverse, so it lives, in perpetuity, in a Dansco.

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

@rkp said:
    Yes, too dark for my tastes. I think if it had more of a circulated cameo look on the obverse, it might be ok but as it sits now, not for me.

This is my feeling as well.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2022 8:01AM

It depends on what you paid for it, I suppose. It has issues, yes.

But, it does have character. As others have said, the rim ding bothers me more than the color.

Your coin has more remaining detail than this one, but for a circulated 1921, I prefer this sort of look:

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's ok, I've seen better, but it's certainly not bad looking...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file