Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need some advice if this is an error or physical damage

1945 no mint mark Lincoln cent

Hi I am noob to all this and came across this coin and it just stood out at me and was wanting some input on if it's an error coin and if what it could be worth and help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks to me like a flawed planchet. Half the "C" in cent is missing indicating the metal was stripped away. It's also possible that it's just some weird post mint damage. In either even I don't think it would warrant any premium. Wait for others to weigh in also.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Closer up pics could help determine... but I see some signs that it is post mint damage. Large scrape from the 'R' in PLURIBUS on down to the 'T' in CENT. Scratches in between the two larger gouges.

----- kj
  • Options

The two deeper gouges are too 'linear' - straight lined - angular to be from a planchet defect IMO>

----- kj
  • Options

BTW... welcome to the board.

----- kj
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Probably post mint damage.

Vplite99
  • Options

Ok I tried taking a better picture hope it helps

• Options

Thanks for the welcomes

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post minting damage. BTW, all cents of this period from Philadelphia lacked a mint mark.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks like PMD to me.

• Options

Thanks for all the helps I do appreciate it

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Willa86... Welcome aboard. Post Mint Damage (PMD).... Good pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, but I am in the pmd camp.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you mind posting a pic of the obverse?

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

PMD or not, it's a badass looking coin!

• Options

Here is the other side

• Options

Hi everyone just trying to have another go at this and posting another picture this is a good close up of it and want everyones opinion it just looks weird and almost if it was melted or something and the place where the O would be for ONE.

• Options

It's the same coin
    I was just trying to get input on how it could be pmd cause to me it looks like warped lettering and where the O in the word ONE would be is basically non existent. I respect all opinions just trying to further my own knowledge in the matters

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD.

Notice the areas of raised, displaced metal around the scrapes and gouges. You don't see those raised areas on as struck coins. On PMD, you'll see these raised areas as the metal is moved around by whatever is causing the damage

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Ok I get what you are saying. Any idea what could of caused that?

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copper is so soft most anything vaguely hard can destroy the surface. PMD can remove letters or numbers completely, or even move them around on the coin. Most every type of oddity on a coin can be caused by PMD. If you study how the minting process works, then you will have a better understanding as to what can and cannot occur before or during the minting process. Good luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file