Home Sports Talk
Options

Astros against Yankees series

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭

I never thought I would want the Astros to win a series but I do against the dreaded Yankees!

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boone versus Baker. Which manager screws it up?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

The Astros sweep the Mariners but only after a claasic 18 inning 1-0 pitching marathon and then the
    ASStros celebrated by tweeting a broom sweeping away a torn up Mariners logo. Typical.
    Stay classy cheaters. Thanks KO.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully neither team wins the WS.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Stros!!

Then Go Phillies or Padres!!!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't root for either. Whoever wins this series needs to lose in the WS, please.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am hoping the Padres win it all for the first time!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I don't care who wins it as long as the Yankees don't!
    The sooner the World Series is over we can get going on tp seeing if the Red Sox can sign enough free agents to get them back in the race next year.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Yankees fan, I think the Astros probably have the better team, albeit by a small margin.

That said, I actually like the way the rotations line up in this series. It many not have been intended and it may end up changing as the series progresses, of course, but not having Cortes or Cole lined up against Verlander is pretty good for the Yankees; Verlander was vintage Verlander last night and I’d hate to have had either guy going against him last night.

Obviously, I’d be comfortable with Cole in a game 7 scenario against Verlander and feel good about our chances, if we’re fortunate enough as fans to have a dramatic series. But strategically, as a fan, you almost concede the Verlander starts anyway as you break a series down, I think.

Just a few honest thoughts from a Yankees fan on the subject matter.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    As a Yankees fan, I think the Astros probably have the better team, albeit by a small margin.

That said, I actually like the way the rotations line up in this series. It many not have been intended and it may end up changing as the series progresses, of course, but not having Cortes or Cole lined up against Verlander is pretty good for the Yankees; Verlander was vintage Verlander last night and I’d hate to have had either guy going against him last night.

Obviously, I’d be comfortable with Cole in a game 7 scenario against Verlander and feel good about our chances, if we’re fortunate enough as fans to have a dramatic series. But strategically, as a fan, you almost concede the Verlander starts anyway as you break a series down, I think.

Just a few honest thoughts from a Yankees fan on the subject matter.

October 20th is whose birthday ?

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Goldenage

I’m not sure…

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Nice cards, I wish I had some of the ones I used to clip on my bike back in the early 50's just to hear the noise they made.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Nice cards, I wish I had some of the ones I used to clip on my bike back in the early 50's just to hear the noise they made.

Thank you!

I collect the Yankees, Mickey heavy, but all kinds…

• Options

I do have a few items of a Red Sox star, too:

• Options

@tommyrusty7

See above posts…

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possible for both teams to lose?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

No. Astros look very tough once again. Yanks already look desperate; it’s not a good look changing your whole team around after game 1.

I hope we can right the ship at home and at least make it a better series…

• Options

@craig44 said:

@craig44 said:

One now and one next week!
    Then we can get on to the exciting part "the post season".

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like New York is in trouble, 5-0 in the middle of six. :D

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

the dichotomous thing about the Astros is that they are proven cheaters, yet they are perennial contenders

there was no need for any of that nonsense

they are probably going to win it all again this year

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yankees look pathetic

• Options

The manager is blowing too many bubbles and is taking too much air out of the dugout is the latest excuse!

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't watch the game but from the highlights I saw the Yankees are paying a price with Judge and Stanton. They have played poorly and their lack of power/production at the plate makes things doubly bad. Judge offered a poor excuse for why he cut in front of Bader, a play which ended in a dropped, routine fly ball. Even worse was Stanton in left, playing with no urgency and thus allowing the Astros to run freely on the bases.

No excuse for either player and to top it off they seem to have affected gold glover Bader in center. I anticipate the sweep and can't seem to muster any sympathy for the team or the fans seen in the stands at Yankees games. Easily the most obnoxious fans I've seen at an MLB game.

A side note --- since the All-Star break I think the Yankees are playing sub-.500 ball. That would seem to fall on the manager who seems to have let his team coast.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Typical CLASSLESS Yankee's fans booing their team. These clowns are the worst fans in baseball, they are simply incapable of being sportmen and just endure the losses. How the hell do you boo Aaron Judge at the plate??

• Options

It has now become the way of life in New York.
    When I was young it was fun to go there but now it is a death wish .

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in New York in 1958. I remember someone telling us " The only people on the streets after 10PM are criminals and idiots."

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    I was in New York in 1958. I remember someone telling us " The only people on the streets after 10PM are criminals and idiots."

Perhaps, but we stupid thieves had more fun…🤣

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Typical CLASSLESS Yankee's fans booing their team. These clowns are the worst fans in baseball, they are simply incapable of being sportmen and just endure the losses. How the hell do you boo Aaron Judge at the plate??

Not for nothing but how many rich people do you know who are die hard sports fans? The people who love the Yankees - those who actually live and die with and love the team, who go on Tuesday night to regular season games - aren’t in the Stadium anymore. They’re priced out and have been for some time.

Here’s a telling anecdote - the short version. When I wanted to see Jeter one last time in his final season in a decent seat, it was actually cheaper to spend an all expense paid trip to Baltimore and se him at Camden that it would have been to get the same two seats in the Bronx.

Crazy, right?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I don’t like either one of them. It’s the buy the player you need team versus the cheaters.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?