Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Show us 1-2 auction wins you won that should have went for more money but you lucked out

Let's see them.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2023 12:23PM

I am not sure it mean that much because auction price change auction by auction.

edited February 12, 2023 12:23PM

Deleted

edited October 14, 2022 7:10PM

I know exactly what I am doing when I bid so I can give you more examples if I want to but I guess I should leave for some other people to post their lucky wins.

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:
    I know exactly what I am doing when I bid so I can give you more examples if I want to but I guess I should leave for some other people to post their lucky wins.

Sure share some why not.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

The MS65 half real is killer, the 4 reales was certainly a good deal for an AU53 and the 2 reales now clearly reveals itself to have been a good investment back in '08.

The minors, generally speaking, are vastly underappreciated imo.

Great Stuff

edited October 15, 2022 10:18AM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@jt88 said:

Sure share some why not.

You asked for 1-2 example and I have already gave you 2 examples. I will keep the real lucky one for myself to enjoy. LOL

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:

Great Stuff

Thanks

Most collectors prefer the 8R because they like big coins a lot more. I prefer the minors because these denominations are a lot scarcer. I buy every nice one I can (including duplicates) but my more recent experience indicates I'm going to have a difficult time adding date/MM combinations I don't already own at prices I am used to paying.

IMO, the 2R has been "net graded". That's my interpretation of the Heritage description which I think is accurate. There is an NGC AU-53 (which I have not seen) but almost universally, Charles III are a lot harder to find "nice" versus Ferdinand VI. (Only exceptions are the 1761 1/2R, 1761 2R, 1771 2R, and 1772 4R.)

edited October 15, 2022 9:40AM

@WCC said:

@JohnnyCache said:

Great Stuff

Thanks

Most collectors prefer the 8R because they like big coins a lot more. I prefer the minors because these denominations are a lot scarcer. I buy every nice one I can (including duplicates) but my more recent experience indicates I'm going to have a difficult time adding date/MM combinations I don't already own at prices I am used to paying.

IMO, the 2R has been "net graded". That's my interpretation of the Heritage description which I think is accurate. There is an NGC AU-53 (which I have not seen) but almost universally, Charles III are a lot harder to find "nice" versus Ferdinand VI. (Only exceptions are the 1761 1/2R, 1761 2R, 1771 2R, and 1772 4R.)

Perfect combo less competition and mostly rarer coins than the 8 reales. I wonder if there will be more fractional series collectors at some point I have not been around long enough to see the cycles if there was any in collecting these series. You would think next in line would be the 4 reales. Personally I always liked the 1 real and 4 reales but can't afford to be all over the place so I stick 99% of the time with 8 reales.

Perfect combo less competition and mostly rarer coins than the 8 reales. I wonder if there will be more fractional series collectors at some point I have not been around long enough to see the cycles if there was any in collecting these series. You would think next in line would be the 4 reales. Personally I always liked the 1 real and 4 reales but can't afford to be all over the place so I stick 99% of the time with 8 reales.

I don't know the profile of the typical owner of these coins, in better grades anyway. Unless the supply is a lot higher than appears to be evident, there can't be many more collectors because it's not available. Only exception would be if predominantly collected by type instead of date. Then there might be noticeably more but only proportionately.

There won't be many more for Guatemala in any format. While the survival of Bolivia, Mexico. and Peru is somewhat uncertain, very low mintages for Guatemala seem to preclude it.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

I don't know the profile of the typical owner of these coins, in better grades anyway. Unless the supply is a lot higher than appears to be evident, there can't be many more collectors because it's not available. Only exception would be if predominantly collected by type instead of date. Then there might be noticeably more but only proportionately.

There won't be many more for Guatemala in any format. While the survival of Bolivia, Mexico. and Peru is somewhat uncertain, very low mintages for Guatemala seem to preclude it.

I bought an example of the rarest Guatemalan 2R date (per Yonaka), the 1771 in what is likely G6 for $2000 the other day. Had to bid till I won as I may never see another. There wasn’t one in the Stuart gallery but there is one other G example. Mike Dunigan does Guatemalan minors and his are raw so may be a better one there.

edited October 16, 2022 9:23AM

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:

I bought an example of the rarest Guatemalan 2R date (per Yonaka), the 1771 in what is likely G6 for $2000 the other day. Had to bid till I won as I may never see another. There wasn’t one in the Stuart gallery but there is one other G example. Mike Dunigan does Guatemalan minors and his are raw so may be a better one there.

Good pick-up.

I don't look for this mint as hard and might miss some of these. I also don't buy $2000 coins.

The 1771 2R has a mintage of around 4,000 to my recollection. With the high attrition rate, very unlikely very many exist. The Peru coins have mintages in the vicinity of 10X+ except for the 1752 which is reported at 206 but which I believe is higher. So, a lot more uncertainty on how many more are out there.

As my baseline of comparison, I use Liberty Seated quarters. It's not exact, but I do not know a closer one where the availability is well known. Coin for coin, I'm very confident that all mints are noticeably scarcer especially in higher quality, like 90% to 95% of the time.

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2022 10:10PM

I've got one of the 1771 2 Reales Guatemala coins. Has a small hole, however.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

edited October 17, 2022 10:12PM

Does anyone know about this one? I've wondered about this coin, but it doesn't have a pic of the other side. Claims to be a Stewart coin and Says it's 1771 guatemala, but I can't confirm. Is this the one you bought recently @Boosibri? Or was it the plate coin in Yonaka? Those are the only ones I've been able to find in my research. That's three that I'm aware of. Maybe four if Boosibri's is a new find.

Nevermind, answered my own question. I totally missed this auction. This is number four then, as long as the Sedgwick coin is legit. Anyone have info on any more?

1. Plate Coin in Yonaka
    2. Boosibri, recently auctioned
    3. Sedgwick/Stewart
    4. Mine, with the hole

@SimonW When I have a chance Ill compare those coins to the Yonaka plate to see if the Stuart coin is a match. Same for the coin plated in Jara’s books.

Here are the full images of the Stuart/Sedwick coin. I would deem it ungradeable which is important as there is one coin in the NGC census and it probably isn’t this coin.

Here is the coin from Jara’s book and not attributed to Carlos Paiz meaning he likely doesn’t have one.

Thank you sir!

So we're currently up to five known.

I wonder if the one in the NGC Census is the Yonaka plate coin.

I sent mine to get entombed at NGC, so there will soon be a details graded one in the census as well.

• ELuisELuis Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@SimonW said:

And I saw this coin in a site in Barcelona, but since I know zero about it, and tend not to buy holed coins, simple ignored that.

...sorry I hijacked the thread. 🥴

@ELuis said:

@SimonW said:

And I saw this coin in a site in Barcelona, but since I know zero about it, and tend not to buy holed coins, simple ignored that.

Correct, it was a Barcelona vendor.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2022 8:01AM

More than 20 years ago, I purchased an American Civil War token for the mysterious Massachusetts (?) merchant, "Sam's Inn," with a cover bid in a Joe Levine auction. Since then, it's been all downhill. I have either paid fair money or paid too much.

A few things have worked out because of market increases in subsequent years, but I have never gotten a bargain in a major auction.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2022 3:24PM

EBay auction for $195. I thought it was XF-AU and received a nice surprise when it arrived. It had coruscating luster over almost the entire coin and was graded at MS63 by PCGS. It's not very photogenic (which explains the low price) but the luster is nice in hand and serves to lighten the coin considerably. A video would be better for promoting the coin.

This 1846 tall date combined with a nice, original 1853 AR quarter in Fine off eBay for a combined price of $120. Nobody else on eBay was interested, I guess. The half is at PCGS being graded.
    Edited to add that they were purchased during a remarkable price surge (444% increase in price in 30 months) in 1846 TD pricing from 2009-2012 (PCGS Coin Prices). I suspect people were unaware that the coin's value was skyrocketing at that time. All I knew was I got a good deal.

Similar story for this 1876-CC. I first offered $180 for this coin in a BIN or Best offer. I don't recall the BIN price but the dealer turned me down and said it was worth substantially more. He then put it up for auction on eBay and I won it for $170. I suspect bidders didn't realize that this coin had been increasing in value.

My apologies if this is on the wrong board.

3 rim nicks away from Good