• JWPJWP Posts: 21,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins, Neo.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    Acquired this one at the Denver Coin Expo Friday-58CAC

Very nice example of a tougher middle date above XF! I’m jealous!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked these 3 IHCents last weekend.

Some error coins from my collection

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Tom Reynolds at the Baltimore Whitman Coin Expo...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lately, I am liking copper, more and more!

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2023 5:53PM

My recent pick up.

1981S proof type 2

Opinions?
    Thank You!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

My latest copper:

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got these two on the way. Seller's photos...
    1839 N-11 Booby Head

1837 N-3 Plain Cords

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

• WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like this coin please.

I might have to get a second opinion on this coin.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raybo said:

Would you not rather have this one........

Color on copper is a very natural progression. Old RD copper is just not believable........although I do have a 1906 IHC RD coin that I bought over 60 years ago.

OINK

@Raybo said:

Thanks for the offer OINK but I already have one.

@Raybo said:

@Raybo said:

Thanks for the offer OINK but I already have one.

Problem is the 1866 you posted has very little curb appeal. Maybe even worse that the 1863 you posted. You can collect coins based upon the PCGS/ANA grading standards, but they will not provide you an attractive collection. Only a collection that rates high in their grading standard. I tend to collect coins that have the greatest eye appeal, at the highest possible grade available. Not the highest graded coins that are POP 1, but have no distinguishing features.

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raybo said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Color on copper is a very natural progression. Old RD copper is just not believable........although I do have a 1906 IHC RD coin that I bought over 60 years ago.

OINK

The 1863 is PR64BN. The TrueView is how it appears under a spotlight. The shots below were iPhone under a single bulb. It’s quite attractive, no visible hairlines, I’m not sure what CAC didn’t like about it.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

edited December 24, 2023 1:31PM

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@Raybo said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

The 1863 is PR64BN. The TrueView is how it appears under a spotlight. The shots below were iPhone under a single bulb. It’s quite attractive, no visible hairlines, I’m not sure what CAC didn’t like about it.

My response was to @Raybo, and based not on the quality of the coin that you posted. It was somewhat of an unfair comparison as the coin I posted was a 66 and yours is a 64. Obviously I was comparing apples with oranges. Different price point. I do think the Harry Bass provenance is more significant than a CAC endorsement on your PR64.

I do have issues with the PCGS/ANA grading standards that do not reflect current market standard acceptance/pricing, a grading standard that was originally formulated to reflect the fungible value of a coin. Perhaps the PCGS grade needs to better reflect the current market value, giving credit to monetary factors that seem to be ignored as to a coin's value. Probably a much bigger issue lies with ANA grading standard, than with PCGS. ANA seems to be very much a dinosaur. The ANA standard needs to reflect ALL issues surrounding the grade of the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file