Home U.S. Coin Forum

Am I Wrong? GreatCollections Customer Service Woes

Morgandude1997Morgandude1997 Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
edited October 9, 2022 6:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I consigned some coins to Greatcollections at the FUN show back in January and I would just like to share my experience with the customer service provided by Andy and some of the other representatives at GC.
So I dropped off 24 coins for consignment at the Winter FUN show back in January roughly 9 months. I didn't want to share my experience until I gave them some time to try to resolve this situation, but now I've tried and figured I would like to get some other opinions on if I'm in the wrong or not.
All of my consigned coins were listed April 24th except for 1 which showed that it was not sent to CAC but was rather sent to PCGS to be reholdered
So I'm curious, because the coin has a truview already and was in a newer generation PCGS holder when I dropped it off with no damage to the holder. I call up customer service and they tell me yes the coin was sent to be reholdered must have been something wrong with the current holder. I told them when I dropped it off with the GC representative there was no issues and the holder was fine, the customer service representative tells me they will look more into it and talk to Andy try to get him to give me a call about it when they find out why. - No communication from them, then the coin is back, gets sent to CAC (not sure why it was a sub $100 coin and not cost effective in my opinion to get sent to CAC), but they are the ones who decide and so it is listed then sells.
I'm waiting for the 30 days until the consignment settles because this coin was sold on a different date and will have a separate check all together. Well, 35 days out I give them a call about it and they tell me there will not be a check because after the CAC fee, reholder fee, and other auction fees, there is nothing left to pay. I tell them that that shouldn't be correct because I believe the reholder and resubmission costs should be covered by GC due to the fact that the coin was damaged either by them or while in their possession. I mean if Barrett-Jackson damages a car in transport are they going to pass on repair costs to the consignor?
Then they tell me ok we will cover the cost this time and send you out a check for this coin with the reholder and resubmission fees added back in - August 2022.
The check never came and in the meantime I had another consignment settle, but I noticed an "adjustment" (charge from reholder fee taken out of my next check settlement) due to the balance from the previous issue. I called and then get told that the customer service rep is "on it"
That was 2 weeks ago now.
Well, that's it for me at GC.. overall its not much only roughly $50 but it's just the principle that they really stuck it to me and didn't care.
Would you guys also be upset with this recourse?

«13

Comments

  • 1madman1madman Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The question is did you checkmark the box on the submission form to allow GC to decide which coins go to CAC? If so, that was your mistake. If that box at the top wasn’t checked, then you need to contact GC and get the refund for the CAC submission.

    GC already handled the reholder fee, which was great customer service.

  • FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’d be pretty annoyed. But without more info on the initial drop off it’s hard to form a final opinion.
    Was it part of the deal that GC would send coins for reholder and CAC based entirely on their judgement?

  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I too suggest to call Ian.

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • @1madman said:
    The question is did you checkmark the box on the submission form to allow GC to decide which coins go to CAC? If so, that was your mistake. If that box at the top wasn’t checked, then you need to contact GC and get the refund for the CAC submission.

    GC already handled the reholder fee, which was great customer service.

    See madman they did not, that's the reason I'm upset. They charged me for the reholder fee and CAC submission both. I totally understand charging me for the CAC submission as that is their judgement and I did check that box. The adjustment for the balance was a deduction. Sorry if i was unclear on that.

  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Stuff happens - everyone knows that.... and there are always two sides to every story.

    How it's handled after that (by both sides) is important. I'm sure it will be worked out to the satisfaction of the OP. Still, if I consigned a coin, and somehow ended up getting nothing, or even losing money as a result, I wouldn't be too happy about it.

  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinbuf said:
    however they do a lot of volume and it is inevitable that a few mishaps will happen from time to time.

    Are there any companies that this would not be true for?

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:

    @coinbuf said:
    however they do a lot of volume and it is inevitable that a few mishaps will happen from time to time.

    Are there any companies that this would not be true for?

    No. But some companies are forgiven and others are excoriated.

  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:

    @coinbuf said:
    however they do a lot of volume and it is inevitable that a few mishaps will happen from time to time.

    Are there any companies that this would not be true for?

    I have read a few times from a couple of posters here that PCGS is infallible. ;) Aside from that I cannot think of any.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ianrussell said:

    Faded/partially peeled CAC stickers.

    ALERT. Auction companies sometimes apply their lot number tape on a portion of the CAC sticker and removing it can damage the sticker itself.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @2windy2fish said:
    My experience with GC and @ianrussell have been nothing less than stellar! please reserve all judgment until GC gets a chance to sort this out and post the results
    I HIGHLY recommend GC and their staff..

    To be fair, the OP waited weeks or months. This submission was in January for an auction in April. It is now October. I think he waited long enough to make a judgment. Does it really matter what happens now? He shouldn't have to publicly call out a company to get some resolution. [Assuming all facts presented are accurate ]

  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Something is wrong here, and for a few dollars they [GC] look just plain wrong

    Frank

    BHNC #203

  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @2windy2fish said:
    My experience with GC and @ianrussell have been nothing less than stellar! please reserve all judgment until GC gets a chance to sort this out and post the results
    I HIGHLY recommend GC and their staff..

    To be fair, the OP waited weeks or months. This submission was in January for an auction in April. It is now October. I think he waited long enough to make a judgment. Does it really matter what happens now? He shouldn't have to publicly call out a company to get some resolution. [Assuming all facts presented are accurate ]

    How many months were the OP's coins sitting at PCGS and CAC?

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2022 6:12AM

    Deleted.
    Not the appropriate place for me to air out an issue I had with GC and the response I received earlier this year.

    Pocket Change Inspector

  • jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not a fan.

  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

    GC seems to be a top venue for pq coins, pretty toners, rarities that merit listing with them. Personally I preferred the old Teletrade that got bought out where Ian worked before. GC is a big money operation, this instance seems to be a low value item where the op was unlucky.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @2windy2fish said:
    My experience with GC and @ianrussell have been nothing less than stellar! please reserve all judgment until GC gets a chance to sort this out and post the results
    I HIGHLY recommend GC and their staff..

    To be fair, the OP waited weeks or months. This submission was in January for an auction in April. It is now October. I think he waited long enough to make a judgment. Does it really matter what happens now? He shouldn't have to publicly call out a company to get some resolution. [Assuming all facts presented are accurate ]

    How many months were the OP's coins sitting at PCGS and CAC?

    That is beyond irrelevant. Read the OPs complaint. He's complaining about money he was charged for a service he didn't request.

  • This was during the high volume of CAC submissions when there were very high turnaround times at both places.
    I will say the CAC results email I got from Ian was sent on 4/1/22 and the coins were listed a little over 3 weeks later. Does seem somewhat excessive for a time to image and list the coins, but not the main reason for my issues with GC.

  • justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I've had stellar service with GC and all issues resolved anytime one has came up. I have had Ian personally call me to resolve a complicated issue with a key date I bought.

    I'm a big fan. They have also sold many coins for me reaching prices I couldn't have obtained myself with a low commission.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:
    If you have trouble with your Tesla, you shouldn't have to talk to Elon to get it sorted out, should you?

    No, but if you can get Elon involved, it will probably resolve more quickly.

  • BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 205 ✭✭✭✭

    @ianrussell has already posted twice in this thread, so it should be evident that there is an effort underway to provide the right level of customer service. I just wanted to share a different perspective that could feasibly impact a consignment: sometimes the TPGs get an attribution wrong (in my case, I'm looking at capped bust half dimes, but it could be any attribution). When such a coin is listed and I've emailed to inform GC about this, in EVERY case they responded by taking the listing down, as it was incorrect on the slab. I appreciate this enormously!

    I acknowledge, my example here shouldn't incur any expenses, at least from the TPG (who should correct slab errors for free) - so I don't think that @Morgandude1997 's current situation would have resulted from such a case. But a cancellation/delay of the listing is certainly possible. I merely wanted to reinforce that GC listens and tries to do the right thing, and those principles are very important to me!

    New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bikergeek said:
    @ianrussell has already posted twice in this thread, so it should be evident that there is an effort underway to provide the right level of customer service. I just wanted to share a different perspective that could feasibly impact a consignment: sometimes the TPGs get an attribution wrong (in my case, I'm looking at capped bust half dimes, but it could be any attribution). When such a coin is listed and I've emailed to inform GC about this, in EVERY case they responded by taking the listing down, as it was incorrect on the slab. I appreciate this enormously!

    I acknowledge, my example here shouldn't incur any expenses, at least from the TPG (who should correct slab errors for free) - so I don't think that @Morgandude1997 's current situation would have resulted from such a case. But a cancellation/delay of the listing is certainly possible. I merely wanted to reinforce that GC listens and tries to do the right thing, and those principles are very important to me!

    The issue to the OP was never the delay...

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well, sounds like very bad services. OP sounds very reasonable to me. He agree to pay CAC fee but not re-holder fee. I believe GC should notify the OP before they sent to PCGS for re-holder.

  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:
    If you have trouble with your Tesla, you shouldn't have to talk to Elon to get it sorted out, should you?

    Stuff happens, and no you shouldn't need to go to the top to get it fixed but sometimes that is appropriate.
    For instance, I bought a Chevy Suburban back in 1973, brand new from a Reno dealer for $5,500. On the way home to Carson the alternator fell off and bounced under the burb for what seemed like forever. Ruined the engine, pan, exhaust, rear differential and ripped the back bumper off (I was doing 80 or so). Well, I got in touch with the dealer that very day....he didn't want to have anything to do with it or the repairs. There was no alt bolt it appears. Ended up going to Chevy's top execs. A year later the new burb was back in business. I sold it with 350,000 miles back in 92.
    Didn't stop me from using Chevy dealers and I'm still driving a Chevy. Ian will figure it out, no problem for sure.
    bob :)

    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2022 11:33AM

    Seems that some real basic questions need to be answered- What was the coin? Grade and holder? And how and why did it end up at CAC?

    Come back with some answers and then maybe it can be discussed rationally

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If you deal with enough auction coins, you will deal with a screw up. It happened to me. A floor bidder got the auction coin at my mail bid at the same amount, and it was mistakenly awarded to the floor bidder. When I pointed this out to the auction company, they tried to get back, and the 'buyer' told them 'no.' They gave me a free book as a courtesy. There wasn't much more they could offer.

    That said, the key is what does the auction company do to make it right? I think GC is on top of this.

    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

    So do mail bids take priority over floor bids? I did not know that

    GrandAm :)
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @GRANDAM said:
    So do mail bids take priority over floor bids? I did not know that

    Generally, the earliest bid at a certain amount takes priority.

  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:

    @GRANDAM said:
    So do mail bids take priority over floor bids? I did not know that

    Generally, the earliest bid at a certain amount takes priority.

    Huh,,,,,, I always thought floor bids took priority

    GrandAm :)
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @GRANDAM said:

    @MasonG said:

    @GRANDAM said:
    So do mail bids take priority over floor bids? I did not know that

    Generally, the earliest bid at a certain amount takes priority.

    Huh,,,,,, I always thought floor bids took priority

    Heritage:

    Because bids come in via phone, Email, FAX, regular mail, etc., a tie for the high bid is possible. In the event of a tie for the high bid, the first bid entered - regardless of its source - wins.

    Stacks-Bowers:

    When identical bids are received for a lot, preference is given to the first bid received as determined by the auctioneer.

    That's just two, but still...

  • nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

    Interesting this thread came up, I am dealing with a similar issue. I sent in 39 coins a few months ago. I just noticed one of my coins which happens to be the most valuable coin I sent in was marked “returned consignor” so I sent an email asking about it and the response was that it was sent back to PCGS because it wasn’t properly sealed. The coin in question is a 1884 CC GSA MS66 and I had just gotten it graded by PCGS which was a lifelong experience in itself. The entire GC process is excruciatingly LONG, and now the wait for this to unfold. With my luck this coin and the ones that are at CAC will end the week of Christmas. I’m frustrated with GC for not communicating this issue and I’m frustrated with PCGS for the obvious lack of quality control. And if I get charged from GC for this my frustration will turn to outright anger. Do you guys think this is a PCGS issue or GC being to picky with PCGS’s sealing process?

  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @nk1nk said:
    Do you guys think this is a PCGS issue or GC being to picky with PCGS’s sealing process?

    Don't know. What I think should be happening in a situation like this is that if the company you're sending your coins to wants to do anything other than what you have asked them to, they should contact you and get your agreement before proceeding.

  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would imagine that it is better for everyone that a "questionable" seal on a holder be corrected before being auctioned. If a buyer gets it,,,,,, see's the problem it only will delay the whole process for everyone. Coin is returned. You wait for return shipping time from buyer. Payment is delayed. Do you send the coin and get the holder fixed,,,,,,,, A whole big Cluster-Plunk waiting to happen. Getting it fixed before auctioning it IS the way to go.

    GrandAm :)
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @GRANDAM said:
    I would imagine that it is better for everyone that a "questionable" seal on a holder be corrected before being auctioned.

    Doesn't seem like a bad idea. Maybe the coin's owner could be involved in the decision?

  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2022 6:12PM

    “Do you guys think this is a PCGS issue or GC being to picky with PCGS’s sealing process?”

    How could anyone even begin to answer that question, fairly, without first seeing the coin and the holder, in hand?

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:
    “Do you guys think this is a PCGS issue or GC being to picky with PCGS’s sealing process?”

    How could anyone even begin to answer that question, fairly, without first seeing the coin and the holder, in hand?

    Fair enough, please disregard my question

  • nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:

    @nk1nk said:
    Do you guys think this is a PCGS issue or GC being to picky with PCGS’s sealing process?

    Don't know. What I think should be happening in a situation like this is that if the company you're sending your coins to wants to do anything other than what you have asked them to, they should contact you and get your agreement before proceeding.

    I agree with this 100 percent. It’s not so much the inconvenience of the coin going back to PCGS, If there’s an issue that needs to be fixed then yeah it should go back but to go through that process with zero communication doesn’t seem right.

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Elcontador said:
    If you deal with enough auction coins, you will deal with a screw up. It happened to me. A floor bidder got the auction coin at my mail bid at the same amount, and it was mistakenly awarded to the floor bidder. When I pointed this out to the auction company, they tried to get back, and the 'buyer' told them 'no.' They gave me a free book as a courtesy. There wasn't much more they could offer.

    That said, the key is what does the auction company do to make it right? I think GC is on top of this.

    It happened to me once exactly the same. I agree with you that making a mistake sometimes happens but the auction should make it right. In this case GC (Ian) did it right eventually. That's a happy ending for OP and the GC's reputation.

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

    SB once sent my coin to PCGS to re-holder without letting me know but my coin is a 30K coin so re-holder fee is nothing in my case. I did not say a word to SB about it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file