Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1949 Leaf Babe Ruth graded 1 are $3,000 cards now. How high will all Ruth cards go?

Modern cards have dropped since their peak because there are simply so many of them, but the real blue chippers like Ruth continue their ascent.

I am floored that a 1949 Leaf Ruth has gotten this expensive. It is well after his playing days and even after his death. It isn't rare either.

That brings me to the question, will Ruth cards from his playing days enter the stratosphere? Where do Goudey, 1921/1922 Caramels, and exhibits, go from here? Even the ugly looking strip cards continue to climb.

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2022 10:18AM

Up up down down left right left right b a start

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2022 10:53AM

@handyman said:
    Up up down down left right left right b a start

Nintendo Contra extra lives code!!! You forgot select before start you get no extra lives hahaha!!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really sure. A Goudey Ruth I bought last Nov has nearly doubled in price.

I was SHOCKED to see the prices of even the 1932 Sanella Ruth. I bought a PSA 7 maybe 3 years ago for about $300 and sold it off a few months later for a maybe a couple hundred profit. That card is now $2k-$2k.

Honestly, if the economy completely tanks, I can't see them continuing to climb at this rate but you never know.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

Uggh. One of the biggest regrets I have is not purchasing this Ruth in late 2018. And that price was no doubt negotiable. If you need me I'll be sucking on the exhaust pipe in my garage :'(

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

I was SHOCKED to see the prices of even the 1932 Sanella Ruth. I bought a PSA 7 maybe 3 years ago for about $300 and sold it off a few months later for a maybe a couple hundred profit. That card is now $2k-$2k.

Honestly, if the economy completely tanks, I can't see them continuing to climb at this rate but you never know.

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

The Sanella...was almost worthless 20 years ago. The jump it has taken in these last couple years is more surprising than the Leaf price jump.

Congrats on the Goudey purchase. I kept putting off re-buying a Goudey, and it looks like I put it off two years too much.

• Options

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:
    Uggh. One of the biggest regrets I have is not purchasing this Ruth in late 2018. And that price was no doubt negotiable. If you need me I'll be sucking on the exhaust pipe in my garage :'(

That hurts. It always hurts looking back at those.

• Options
    edited October 10, 2022 9:36AM

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:

Try going another route and go after a Ruth you may not have had before. I do not have one of these myself, but I always liked this Ruth.

I still think some of the early 20's Ruth's are good buys comparatively to his Goudey cards. The ones that have actual pictures of Ruth, not so much the strip cards with the unrealistic drawings. Some of the strip cards are great though.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

A borderless example of this one - graded authentic by Beckett- ended at a crazy sum last night. I recently got mine graded:

Plus a bonus!

Original Mailing Envelope

Here’s another nice looking playing days Ruth, with a really great image but a tear in the top border, 3 rounded and one clearly torn corner:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    A borderless example of this one - graded authentic by Beckett- ended at a crazy sum last night. I recently got mine graded:

Plus a bonus!

Original Mailing Envelope

Here’s another nice looking playing days Ruth, with a really great image but a tear in the top border, 3 rounded and one clearly torn corner:

I saw that borderless authentic Ruth in a BGS holder went for 5K. Your 1.5 Ruth is 100x better.looking.

I love the original envelope!

• Options

@UFFDAH said:

Sweet Jesus that is impressive!