Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Concord NC Show Report

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2022 4:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I drove to Charlotte last night to stay with my daughter who lives there so as to be ready this morning in case the hurricane weather got nasty today. I arrived at the show when it opened to the public at 10:00 and stayed for 2 hours. Attendance was subdued due to steady rain, I'm guessing. The facility hosting the event was quite nice as far as plenty of room and the dealers were listed alphabetically for 5-6 aisles spaced widely.

I brought a few coins to sell and was successful in selling two. I lost some money on them, but I expected to given that they were poor purchases on my part and I wanted a quick sell. Better to move on in my opinion and use the funds more productively. This idea of never taking a loss is something that I don't understand, but to each their own.

I then had a wonderful conversation with John Lundsten who was representing the LSCC. He's planning on making some improvements to the club website so that Gobrecht Journal articles from the various seated series are more accessible/sorted by type. We also talked about the newly formed seated club (now with 21 members) and my interest in halves. Very friendly and welcoming and I'm looking forward to attending a club meeting in the future to get to know him and others better.

Regarding coins at the show, I enjoyed looking at this pattern (scratches on the holder):

I love the open fields and simplicity represented. I'm a fan of old copper and would love to own a pattern, but don't know this aspect of the hobby well enough to make an informed decision and also I'm a little leery of the limited demand for such coins.

I saw this consigned coin on the bourse that was an stunning. The coin was was aggressively priced, so much so that I could not see myself acquiring despite my attraction. Hope it's okay to share since it was so lovely:

Lastly, I did buy one coin that got my juices flowing (any scratches you see are on the holder)I really think PCGS missed the bar in not grading this at the AU level. Lovely blues shown. It will go to CAC eventually. I think it is a nice partner to my 1824/1 bustie:

So, sold a couple of coins, had some compelling conversations, saw a few very interesting coins, and made one purchase. A successful 2 hours of time spent!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, and that's a great looking half!

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 4:57PM

Thanks for the report.

I too love that large cent pattern, always have, but can’t justify the cost.
    Great bust half NEWP!
    Stay safe! I just rode out Ian down here in FL.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and beautiful newp!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking the time for the report.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. Glad you did OK.

Vplite99
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Stay away from patterns unless you have an exceptionally good feel for that market. It is very easy to lose money very quickly if you don't know the field well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show report and for taking the time to share your experience.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Nice report. Stay away from patterns unless you have an exceptionally good feel for that market. It is very easy to lose money very quickly if you don't know the field well.

I would say with patterns it's very easy to lose $, period. The cent pattern shown is a beauty, but only a thing I'd acquire for that price if the money meant little. As it is, that amount would be quite a bit for me, to the point I'd be more comfortable with an attractive key date or a gold coin that would be a straightforward sale.

As a wise coin scribe once said -- "buy the best you can understand." :smile:

• Options
    CentSearcherCentSearcher Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a successful show, hopefully I can go today! Love the bust half

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert.... Thanks for an interesting report and the pictures. Nice acquisition as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice newp and nice report, thanks for posting!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert
    Thanks for your report.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

CB,
    Thanks for sharing, and as usual you have to post the most eye appealing coins in existence (well done)! Let us know if that CBH you bought gets green or gold stickered!! ;)

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you had a great time.

Thanks, for the report.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice report!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your show report.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. Love your new Bust half…what a beauty. The pattern was amazing too!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file