Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bass Bidding

gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bidding at last night's sale was crazy! I was outbid on eveything I really wanted. I was nowhere close on the rare proofs. I only picked up an insignificant $5.

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry you were blown away, but this is good for the hobby. I wonder if someone with deep pockets did not take advantage of the opportunity and grab a sizeable portion?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were there any price records set?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was fun to watch it but I guess not as a participant maybe.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got shut out last night........I can't remember the last time that happened? Prices were very strong across the board.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Were there any price records set?? Cheers, RickO

I do not follow gold pieces but I would guess yes ... 100 lots raising approx 30 Million $.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:
    This was a big one!

Wow!!!!!

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:
    This was a big one!

Just out of curiosity, a hypothetical question. This is of course 1 of 2 with the second example being in the Smithsonian.

How much less do you think, if at all, would this have sold for graded as a PR62? What about if there was some sort of problem (scratch, rim damage, etc)?

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:
    I got shut out last night........I can't remember the last time that happened? Prices were very strong across the board.

That’s saying something, as many of us know that you aren’t afraid to stretch a bit to acquire amazing pieces.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@lermish said:

@Floridafacelifter said:
    This was a big one!

Just out of curiosity, a hypothetical question. This is of course 1 of 2 with the second example being in the Smithsonian.

How much less do you think, if at all, would this have sold for graded as a PR62? What about if there was some sort of problem (scratch, rim damage, etc)?

In the other thread breakdown offered a comparison to 1825/4/1. Sounds like this one sold high from that comparison.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13345434/#Comment_13345434

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this one sold for strong money.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    Bidding at last night's sale was crazy! I was outbid on eveything I really wanted. I was nowhere close on the rare proofs. I only picked up an insignificant $5.

Sorry to hear it, though no worries, I was blown away without even having to entertain the thought of bidding on those gems! :smile: Somewhere, from a long-ago subscription I had to their catalogues, I still have the B&M Bass auction catalogue set.

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

The patterns were very strong as a group across the board.

• Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoBust said:
    The patterns were very strong as a group across the board.

I was hoping to buy one or two of the Amazonian patterns but was unwilling to up my bids on the 2 available. I own a couple and toyed with the idea of forming a set. (non gold of course). BTW, I wonder what the gold set would sell for if Simpson ever decided to sell.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:

Well, this makes me feel better (I guess). I targeted two half eagles but didn't really come close on either of them. On the 1795 small eagle $5 coins, there was only one of the three that I really liked when I lot viewed, but it went for significantly more (190K) than the others.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of the big players came up empty? I wonder if Hansen came in with a "capture at all cost" mentality?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Biggest surprise to me was the 1848 $2.5 Cal.

i HAVE to think a lot of pieces selling during this pandemic will be in the same collections for a long time at the continued prices being paid.

since that piece sold for that much, i may have to delve into some other prices realized.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the Bass lots are an inflation sanctuary that's drawing the bidding interest?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    A lot of the big players came up empty? I wonder if Hansen came in with a "capture at all cost" mentality?

There were only 106 lots sold, of which 34 - the patterns, which most buyers ignore - sort of don’t count. It was inevitable that most of us, including myself, would get shut out.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@DCW said:

There were only 106 lots sold, of which 34 - the patterns, which most buyers ignore - sort of don’t count. It was inevitable that most of us, including myself, would get shut out.

Good for me ... "... most buyers ignore ... " as long as I am buying but hope it flips when time to sell.

I picked up only one of the 5 patterns I targeted ... on 2 losses I thought I had a strong bid. I think I would have won one other with a split bid but connection at my hotel hiccup :/

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:

The coin is still available

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey I missed that sale, think I may go for the 828k "offer"....LOL

Well, love the coin regardless.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2022 11:50AM

I was pleased to obtain one pattern at the sale, Judd-91 Restrike Half Dollar. I was outbid otherwise. I'm now missing only one of the 1838-1839 half dollar essai and restrike patterns which has been part of my focus. The set is listed as 31 patterns; however, there are two that are only in museums now (Judd-73 and Judd-83). The third museum only pattern was the Judd-91 before being deaccessioned by Bass. Two others likely do not exist per USpatterns.com. So 27 are collectible. PCGS registry lists this specific registry set if anyone is interested. I have it open if anyone would like to see it. Most of the coins have trueviews.

USpatterns.com is a superb website for those of you who may not know much about patterns. Its a fantastic source of very detailed information for us many patterns enthusiasts. Saul Teichman and Andy Lustig have been great putting it together for everyone.

My impression, which I think has surprised many, is that the massive sale of over 1000 patterns in the series of Simpson sales has reinvigorated interest in patterns. There appeared to be many record prices that occurred in Bass. For the select coins that I followed, Bass was stronger than Simpson. Might be because there are so few coins in Bass and people wanted to be part of history and participate. We will see as the next for Bass sales progress. The Simpson patterns became a bit more affordable as the sales progressed IMHO.

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2022 9:19AM

@GoBust said:
    I was pleased to obtain one pattern at the sale, Judd-91 Restrike Half Dollar. I was outbid otherwise. I'm now missing only one of the 1838-1839 half dollar essai and restrike patterns which has been part of my focus. The set is listed as 31 patterns; however, there are two that are only in museums now (Judd-73 and Judd-83). The third museum only pattern was the Judd-91 before being deaccessioned by Bass. Two others likely do not exist per USpatterns.com. So 27 are collectible. PCGS registry lists this specific registry set of anyone is interested. I have it open if anyone would like to see it. Most of the coins have trueviews.

Wow what a set-I love seeing your coins- and full of top pops no less. I really enjoyed reviewing this incredibly beautiful set.

I believe this is the coin you purchased from Bass?

And here’s a direct link to your set more people need to see it!
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/248194

Great name- Dauntless! Looking forward to catching up with you at FUN!

• Options

@Currin said:

@Lakesammman said:

The coin is still available

The may or may not be available. I once received an offer for a coin I had won at HA about 10 years ago. I then went looking for the make offer to owner on the HA website and opted out of it. I do see on the HA webpage that it states:

*Minimum Offer 50% over Purchase Amount (change)

This is perhaps the default amount and it also happens to be the amount for the CAL.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoBust said:
    I was pleased to obtain one pattern at the sale, Judd-91 Restrike Half Dollar. I was outbid otherwise. I'm now missing only one of the 1838-1839 half dollar essai and restrike patterns which has been part of my focus. The set is listed as 31 patterns; however, there are two that are only in museums now (Judd-73 and Judd-83). The third museum only pattern was the Judd-91 before being deaccessioned by Bass. Two others likely do not exist per USpatterns.com. So 27 are collectible. PCGS registry lists this specific registry set of anyone is interested. I have it open if anyone would like to see it. Most of the coins have trueviews.

Absolutely fantastic! Congrats on a great newp and an amazing set.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@GoBust said:

Absolutely fantastic! Congrats on a great newp and an amazing set.

Agree - what a WOW collection. So impressive.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome, "make offer to owner" $828,000 LOL.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2022 1:10PM

Deleted

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file