Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who else is watching the Harry W. Bass Jr sale over at HA this evening Part 1

Started a moment ago 9h00PM Eastern Time.

Amazing coins and I don't even collect US coins!!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was. The gold just ended. $18,446,284 is what the website showed after the last gold but still have the patterns going. Heritage announced at the beginning that the sale was all going to charity (Bass foundation).

Lot 52 1821 Half Eagle proof 65 cameo at $3,850,000. hammer (so plus 20%).
    Is this a surprise?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the 70S $3?

• Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

I did, some people enjoy a good movie, I thought this was better entertainment :)

Astoundingly deep pockets in there, I'm no expert on pricing but seems the Bass name alone commands a nice premium.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoledandCreative said:
    How about the 70S $3?

The $3 1870-S was not in this Part I sale. Lots of other great coins, though.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TimNH said:
    I did, some people enjoy a good movie, I thought this was better entertainment :)

Astoundingly deep pockets in there, I'm no expert on pricing but seems the Bass name alone commands a nice premium.

That's not much different from the Eric P. Newman sales, which had lesser coins, but the prices were still often strong.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "name" converts many of the coins into trophy coins. Trophy coins bring big money.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoledandCreative said:
    How about the 70S $3?

If I heard the auctioneer correctly (so should verify the following), then there will be 4 Bass sales and the next one at FUN.
    No idea when the 70 S is scheduled.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the auctioneer did an outstanding job. Really entertaining and seemed to work the room well. Definitely worth watching.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 6:26AM

@lilolme said:
    I was. The gold just ended. $18,446,284 is what the website showed after the last gold but still have the patterns going. Heritage announced at the beginning that the sale was all going to charity (Bass foundation).

Lot 52 1821 Half Eagle proof 65 cameo at $3,850,000. hammer (so plus 20%).
    Is this a surprise?

The 1821 proof is one of two and the only one available (other is in the Smithsonian). It's a very nice example of an early one sided proof. It is interesting that it brought more than the flashier PR67CAM (CAC) 1825/4/1 proof that just sold at Stacks last month for $4.08 million.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Jim Bisognani at NGC

We concluded September with a resounding salvo as Heritage’s first installment of the legendary Harry Bass Jr. Collection reeled in just shy of $20.5 million on September 29. I can hear some of my fellow coindexters mutter “only $20 million?” Perhaps some have become jaded with totals in the double-digit millions realized at prime numismatic auctions. Yet, consider that figure was generated with only a mere 106 coins in this sale. This equates to an average price realized at just under $200,000 per coin!

Included in that total, three more coins catapulted into the million-dollars-plus category! There was a total of 188 registered bidders vying for the trio of coins that eclipsed the million-dollar threshold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file