Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Thrills you the Most?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I know how us collectors get giddy about certain coin related events. I for one get carried away at times. Lol But what pulls your string the most? Thanks guys

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

What Thrills you the Most?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cherry picking a famous difficult coin to cherry

Probably in this order.

Finding a cherrypick is the bees knees for me...
    Finding out my submission grades and wondering what the grader saw?
    Big shows are cool.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cherrypicking a rare one followed closely by tracking down that certain coin.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

just collecting coins and banknotes in general is a thrill enough for me

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finishing your set you're working on

This one took some thought. I have a list of coins/currency I am on the lookout for and will try to get those items, but for defined sets (like a 7070), I enjoy when that last whole is filled. It’s a combination of both the hunt and completing.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding Silver in circulation

this is one hobby with many bonus's to go with it, jmo

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding Silver in circulation

I voted for finding silver in circulation. Now, in the past, large coin shows would have been a contender, but no shows in my area and I reserve my travel budget for other purposes. I no longer do series, but at one time that would have been a contender as well. Now, a silver dime or quarter in the Coinstar or change really hypes me. ;):D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tracking down that certain coin

Also, love going to a big show.....And there is nothing like the feeling of completing a set.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edited September 29, 2022 12:19PM

Thanks guys for participating.
    So far,

"tracking down that certain coin"
    is in the lead.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attending that huge Coin Show

Attending a big show and also finding that perfect coin! :)

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily finding a specific coin. There is one coming for sale next week that last sold in 2013. I don't remember why I didn't try to buy it but I'm going to try hard this time. It's not rare but never seen another one even close as nice.

Have a second one I bought recently out for grading. It's rare and might not be another close to it.

• Options

@WCC said:
    Easily finding a specific coin. There is one coming for sale next week that last sold in 2013. I don't remember why I didn't try to buy it but I'm going to try hard this time. It's not rare but never seen another one even close as nice.

Have a second one I bought recently out for grading. It's rare and might not be another close to it.

Good Luck in your hunt!
    ;)

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally receiving your submissions

Have coins come back 1 or 2 grades higher then you thought.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

This is a tough one. I rarely get to attend coin shows (my third will be this Saturday), but my submissions have been taking 6-7 months, so getting them back is absolutely thrilling. I haven't really had any success tracking down any coins, except for just a week ago when I found the owner of a coin I desperately wanted for my set. I'm just going to go with "attending that big coin show".

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cherried an 1878 S long nock Morgan for $8 years ago from the junk bin. Sold it 3 months later to a dealer for $570.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I opted for finishing a set but I also like sharing photos of coins with likeminded collectors.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 4:59PM

"What Thrills you the Most?"

Well I have to say it isn't little round metal things - it's more like the shape and taste of a ............. - "HEY, YOU CAN"T SAY THAT !" :o

AhHa! Dirty minds.......... I was thinking one of these on a Hot day after a hard days work.........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finishing your set you're working on & Tracking down that certain coin
    For me at least, feel like they go hand in hand.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing my children and grandchildren succeed.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was tough to pick...I'm easy, many things thrill me lol.

But you left off a major thrill...
    You know, when the roll cooperates without tearing :wink:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, the greates thrill was annoying my late wife with a coin purchase and then cajoling her and sometimes even getting her to agree and pay for it.

Now that she is gone, it just does not feel the same and am just ambling along. :blush:

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, the hunt is by far the best.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm 50 years past having any realistic hope of finding an interesting coin in circulation, and I "hoarded" enough silver coins from 1964-1970 that getting one now would not be much of a thrill.

I've realized that I'll never "finish a set," since I can always upgrade (I don't have collections full of high-grade uncirculated, rare coins).

I do get a thrill out of finding the coin I'm looking for, in the grade I'm willing to pay for, at a price I deem to be attractive. That's probably the single easiest thing to describe what pleases me about his hobby.

I don't care about "70" grades, and I've never submitted a coin for grading.

I've never been to a coin show, though I'm planning to go to my first next week.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@124Spider said:

I've never been to a coin show, though I'm planning to go to my first next week.

The first one I attended was the 1987 ANA in Atlanta. I don't go often but been to about 10 others like it, also mostly ANA.

Being able to see coins I had never seen before made the first one a different experience. I had never seen most coins at my local B&Ms.

Now when I go, not even close. My interests are entirely different and I've seen just about everything being offered many times.

The internet has also changed my perception. I still prefer to see coins in person but having access to practically any coin (probably at least 95% since I place absolutely no significance on actually common coins in high quality) on short notice changed my perception completely.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attending large shows. So many coins to see. The exhibits. Mustard stain. Sometimes I wish the show would be a 2 week affair so I could see everything and talk with the dealers.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

You didn't have a choice that said: "Paying big bucks for a coin at auction, and when it shows up, it is even better than expected"

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding silver... in the ground. When the 600 starts pinging @ 27-28 or 30-31. Music to my ears.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting that call or email from your dealer saying he/she has the coin you need is the best.

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

Nothing anymore. I think I'm burnt out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file