Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP/Cherrypick - 1938 Proof Nickel - UPDATE

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 14, 2023 11:10AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was super happy with this coin when I opened up the package. This coin is one of the most frosted Jefferson nickels I've seen from the era (on the obverse), and though the reverse is lacking frost wise for CAM, it's a really cool coin. It is currently in an ANACS soapbox PR66 holder, but I think it has a great shot at 66/67 Star if I decide to submit it to NGC. This coin has some astoundingly deep mirrors both obverse and reverse, and it's arguably one of the nicest coins in my collection now.

Photos (whole coin):

Obverse, I promise it is entirely frosted. It's hard to get all of the contrast in one shot, so the dark spots at the bas of the bust are shadows. The frost on the center of the bust is the same all across the bust.

Reverse, I took this in the best light for the contrast as possible. You guys can see for yourself why I'm really skeptical about the coin even having a shot at CAM.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's a CAM, but I do think it's a terrific looking coin that is quite scarce with the type of eye appeal that it has. Nice snag.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really good looking proof for a '38 Jeffy! Way to go!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice 1938 Jefferson. That year did produce some well struck nickels. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet coin.
    No contrast on the reverse lettering- something PCGS does look for.
    No cam, yet still a winner in my book.

peacockcoins

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a nice example!

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin Buddy!

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice nickel!

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work @FlyingAl! It must be such a great feeling when you can successfully cherry pick a coin like that and get it into the holder you knew it deserved.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2023 4:00PM

@DeplorableDan said:
    Nice work @FlyingAl! It must be such a great feeling when you can successfully cherry pick a coin like that and get it into the holder you knew it deserved.

It is! BTW- the coin is now Top Pop for the FS-402 (I believe 1/0, but it could be 2/0 if the pops haven't updated yet) at NGC. PCGS has several in 67, so it's not a huge deal but it's still a bit cool to say I own a Top Pop. :smile:

Edit: Here is a video of the coin in the PF66 holder for anyone who wants to see the coin in that format. The hologram on the reverse is what is causing the strange color change for the reverse.
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VTaTeCwjzSA

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though not designated "CAMEO" it sure is an extreme looking 38.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty. Good judgement on its potential. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive coin @FlyingAl

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Good eye. Nice upgrade

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharp looking. too bad the rev doesn't look as nice as the obv.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file