Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you collect?

hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

While we know this is the US based part of the forum, I was wondering if you only collect US, coins, currency or do you collect other countries coin or currency?

While my collection is mostly composed of us coins. And the majority is from the 1800's to early 1900's.

I do have a few modern coins for the ones I like.

I also collect US currency, I have everything from colonial>continental>Obsolete>Fractional>Large to small sized.

While I have limited foreign, I do have a pretty nice type set of coins and notes from Portugal

So what do you collect?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

whatever gets my notice goes into either my banknote or coin collection

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

EVERYTHING,! But i have 2 albums….
    Buffalo Nickles…a nearly complete set of XF-AU coins and Canada 5 cent silvers….same grades…only 1 coin away from competition a 1858 Large Date and of course the 1921…which i simply cannot afford…

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd guess 97% U.S. for me ... mainly Barbers, SLQs, Bust halves, and a few Lincolns and IHCs. A bit of U.S. currency as well. That said, a few beautifully toned Canadian coins may have snuck in as well.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m all over the board in US coinage. Morgans, Franklins, Mercs, Walkers…Recently picked up a 1795 cent. Eventually I’ll have a whole type set out together but I don’t know if I’ll do it on purpose or accident.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

Mostly colonial/pre-federal and large cents. I do get the occasional ancient Roman though.

• Options

Beautiful collections! Keep up the good work.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭

I have a number of foreign coins but have never purchased one. People just know I collect coins. Over the years I have been gifted a number of coins.
    I am currently working on a Decades and Mints set of Seated half dimes, dimes & quarters.
    That is to say one coin from each mint and each decade they were struck.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Type, ancients, Irish

Tom

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect mainly U.S. coins. I do have a few from countries I have lived/worked in - mainly as sentimental keepsakes. I also have the Canadian Haida Gold coin I have shown here before. I would pick up a coin from another country if the design and condition appealed to me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

As a yungin' I think I got most of my stuff from dept store jewelry dept. I got a variety of old coins - IHCs, found and kept quite a few wheat cents, buffalo nickels, V nickels, merc and silver roos dimes, a couple SLQs, WLHs, Franklin and silver Kennedy 1/2s, and a few Morgan and Peace $s.
    Then I got a US Mint catalog in '76 and bought my 1st Proof coins - the 3-coin Bicentennial set, and I was bitten.

I hopped on the shiny shiny Proof train - in the un-inspiring 80s (Olympic commems), many (but not all) 90s commems, and then the Eagles - silver and gold proofs - came out. I kept buying them "from the source", and later the Buffalo proofs. I did the Platinum proofs for a while but never really fell for the designs, and they stopped the fractionals and I just couldnt swing it anymore so I dropped them.

I have a few pre-1900 coins I may send in to get slabbed at some point. Most probably arent worth it, and not too many in that great condition, but I want to get a few of them preserved - just for "posterity".

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl and @pursuitofliberty Gorgeous coins and notes boys! Wow!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

US type coins, some Morgans, some Indian Cents... Foreign, I like British, Mexican and Canadian.
    Fractional currency of course, and antique Silver...
    Vintage silver bars, too. Engelhard JM, etc.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly pre Civil War gold.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm only buying one Spanish colonial type now. It's all the budget I have.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some types but my primary is US gold dollars.

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 1:46PM

I am all over the place. I have put together a complete collection of morgans by year. I have moved on to trying for a pre-1933 gold type set. I also collect large size notes and foreign gold. I am also collect the pirate ship and looney tune series from apex.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Mostly pre-64 us silver half’s, quarters, merc’s and last few years Double Eagle’s. Premiums on pre-33 gold used to be very low, not the case any longer.
    Mike

MIKE B.

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

Love those... :)

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

@TurtleCat said:

They seem to be getting more popular overall, too. Maybe people are going more to numismatic good over bullion heavy classic gold?

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

@asheland said:

@TurtleCat said:

They seem to be getting more popular overall, too. Maybe people are going more to numismatic good over bullion heavy classic gold?

Possibly so. I know I have….

• Options

Right now I collect anything that meets my fancy that is not to expensive. I am buying the books before the coins. I have some overgraded US gold in a part Type Set I will try to fill with good coins in the future. I like U.S.A. stampsand confederate money also. Some day I will get to post some pictures.

• Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Lately I have been searching for random US Mint medals such as this 40% silver proof White House medal handed out at a Congressional Club breakfast in 1972. The box had a note written inside that 1400 were made for the White House. Other than that, I could never nail down the mintage.

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

Ah, a 42 over 1. One of the few coins I regret selling. Had a xf40 sold it quite a few years back. I'll buy a MS if I own another one. That probably would set me back a few pennies! Great Coin!

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

world or US doesn't matter to me if a coin or banknote gets my notice it's bought and in my collection

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to collect larger type coins, particularly the 50 cent denomination. Have focused on seated type of late.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

I collect american coins that are worth more than their origonal value, or anything that will be (like silver and gold) I do collect proof coins, but bassicaly anything worth collecting that is an american coin

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago this question was posted on the old Open Forum and one member said he collected "belly button lint!" :smiley:

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect coins. All of them.

Well, one of each type, I don't keep duplicates.

I often tell people I don't really have any collection "goals". What this really means in practice is, that my "goal" in coin collecting is a "complete set" of coins from Earth. One of each denomination, type, date and mintmark, from every country that exists or has ever existed from 650 BC when coinage was invented, through to the present.

I have 14,311 coins in my collection, and I'd estimate I'm still far, far less than 1% of my way to "completion".

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently, I am collecting Early Cents and half cents and slowly learning the varieties and their diagnistics. Wish I had started 50 years ago. I have collected all U.S. but gold. I am always in the lookout for a special buff or walker, which seem hard to find lately.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Kennedy half dollars, standard issue, die varieties, and errors.

• Options

@1630Boston said:

@1630Boston you shoot your ASE?? :'( Poor ase! I understand we all collect different things but you may have a hard time selling ase with a hole :D just saying.

PS: for anyone not getting it the above was a joke, don’t get your underwear all tangled o:)

• Options

I collect all sorts of stuff. In coins, it's Walkers, SLQs, and gold, among numerous individual coins. In notes, it's fancy serial numbers and foreign currency from all over. I sold my collection of 1929 US banknotes and wish I hadn't.

• Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Gone back to my first love, Lincolns. Working on a 1909 year set of Lincolns.

Mark
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2022 6:52PM

I have a thing for these portable Japanese-made Panasonic RF multi-band radios from the seventies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file