Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismatic Hypothetical Question

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets pretend that you had 100K to spend on coins. No strings attached! No other debts at all, no mortgage, kids/grandkids are well off, etc. What would you spend it on?

Comments

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great Gobrecht dollar

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

All the holes in my type set, namely all the most expensive stuff. Early gold, half disme, chain cent, flowing hair silver, all that.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got Bust? :p

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Lets pretend that you had 100K to spend on coins. No strings attached! No other debts at all, no mortgage, kids/grandkids are well off, etc. What would you spend it on?

Depending on what you collect, the problem isnt having money, the problem is finding the coin to buy. I couldnt spend 10k right now on the market because nothing I need is available out there.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its pretty easy. I would spend as follows:

$50K on relatively safe value items (probably gold AGE) as close to melt as possible.
    $15K to complete the IHC and 7070 coins. I would do the missing in MS, well all maybe except for the 1877 IHC
    $20K to make a dent in my notes from Portugal collection, if I wanted I could probably get 3 notes to spend this much, but most likely would get 10 of the less expensive ones.
    $15K on US large sized notes. I could probably get 7-8 for $15k.

If there is any left over I would like to get a $500/$1000 US bill.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

At last count, I need 78 coins for all my registry sets. 100K is not going to do it but it sure would make a difference.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing numismatic, I really would not be comfortable with that much money tied up in coins.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pristine Buffalo nickels and IHC….

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    A great Gobrecht dollar

All day long

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now?

I'd be leery in this market as a buyer. Sept 21 Long Beach I bought about 41 coins, 30 ms65 saints.
    I wouldn't buy them at current prices.
    I'd buy 61 or 2 pre 33 libs at spot but they aren't for sale at spot. AU 18th century but they aren't for sale either. If they are they didn't cross my eyes.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Review the cost of the various $100,000 sets in the PCGS price guide and picking a set to collect in the years to come. To avoid competition, I won't tell you which set I would pick.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 12:32AM

Cool Question!
    All Carson City Morgan Dollars in High Grades. Yes, even the 1895 Proof.
    Can only dream.
    <3
    :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what they'd all be but there would definitely be a 1793 chain and wreath cent in Fine-Very Fine, and a decent 1799, not sure how much would be left over but I'd probably get a few middle date Large cents in High MS grades :tongue:

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 5:58AM

Buy gold and silver :):DB)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start a Saint Gaudens collection, for sure. But yeah, pretty much in line with what has been mentioned above, because gold and silver are sound investments right now.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:

Why pretend? Isn't everyone in this financial position?

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Chain Cent.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel the market is too strong now; I would wait for a substantial break. JMHO.

Vplite99
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @PerryHall, slabbed, problem free, U.S. gold coins, at or close to melt. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 9:11AM

The ones that "got away", or I let slip ...
    V75 privy AGE Proof
    Reverse Proof AGE and Buffalo (forget the years at the moment).
    ... Mmmmaybe the recent "bucking horse" gold 1oz coin. I actually prefer the eagle on the reverse of that 1 - wish they used THAT on the Type2 AGE.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go to a show and look for something that wows me! B)

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

$100,000 is not enough for the things I would want, but I think I could finish my half dime and seated dime set with that kind of money.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 1:20PM

I'd buy the best 1921-S Walker that I could find in 64.

With the leftover money; I'd buy a nice 1916 SLQ in 64 FH.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 12:14PM

About $40,000 investment graded US large size currency. FRN, NBN, etc.

The rest $60,000 would be quality slabbed world gold. Mexico 50 Peso, some Vatican, etc. in addition to Mexico quality 2nd republic low pop. Slabbed Silver issues. Possibly some raw pickoffs sent in for slabbing. Also some high grade early 20th century Caballito pesos.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

This is an easy one!

The heck with more coins. I'd spend it all trying over and over and over to buy CAC stickers. Then I'd be "somebody"! Plus my money would be going to the place that does the most for the hobby and collectors instead of going to some greed based entity.

You gotta put your money where the real value is!

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have other priorities for an extra $100K but if I did use it for this purpose, I'd buy the same coins I buy now in my primary series. Since there isn't even close to $100K to buy publicly (usually nothing at any given time), I'd only have the option of buying directly from collectors, assuming I could find who owned it and the premiums over "market" aren't excessive.

• Options

Half cent type set with all Sheldon die varieties

High end gold type set

Basically something interesting and fun to enjoy

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting as many branch mint gold dollar coins as I could in reasonable grades. I could probably get 10-15 graded between 55-63.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 9:44PM

@stawick said:
    V75 privy AGE Proof
    ... Mmmmaybe the recent "bucking horse" gold 1oz coin. I actually prefer the eagle on the reverse of that 1 - wish they used THAT on the Type2 AGE.

Saw one going for $2400 at one of the auctions

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/136574620_2021-american-liberty-high-relief-1oz-gold-coin

And if you scroll down, there's a few more that are coming up :wink:

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:

@stawick said:
    V75 privy AGE Proof

Saw one going for $2400 at one of the auctions

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/136574620_2021-american-liberty-high-relief-1oz-gold-coin

And if you scroll down, there's a few more that are coming up :wink:

B) Now all I need is that $100K. :D

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would put a down payment on one of the 1964-D Peace Dollars . . . . .

Drunner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file