Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What does "original skin/toning" look like?

dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 28, 2022 2:18PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I know that after a certain amount of time, all coins develop some toning. However, I don't totally know how old an untoned coin can be without being "helped." I hear lots of people here praising some coins for having "original skin," and I understand the concept but only have a vague idea of what it looks like. I also assume that not every silver/copper type coin tones the same way, and as somebody who is trying to make a type set, that is very valuable information. What coins can you expect to see without toning? Can a WLH naturally be blast white? If so, how common would that be? And what about a Morgan dollar from the 1880s? Or capped bust coinage?
Thanks for any help in understanding this - and I would love it if anyone could share coins with "original skin" or even terminal toning (which is a concept I can grasp, but haven't seen many examples of.)
Edited to add that I was looking for answers pertaining to higher graded coins, such as mid-XF to MS, as there seems to be a much wider range of colors and looks. However, if you have a good example of a lower graded coin with original toning/skin, feel free to share.

Young Numismatist

Comments

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins in the middle of a roll stored in low humidity can be basically untoned

Mr_Spud

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    Can a WLH naturally be blast white? If so, how common would that be?

Yes, they can. The later dates are quite common.

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    And what about a Morgan dollar from the 1880s?

Extremely common.

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    Or capped bust coinage?

Unicorns.

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2022 2:14PM

Thanks for all the answers so far. Something that I meant to say but forgot to mention in the OP was, "what does original skin/toning look like on higher grade coins (AU-MS, maybe mid-XF.)" There seems to be a wider range of looks in these grades. All answers are still helpful!

Young Numismatist

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

For an MS coin, I think this one is original "skin"

For a circulated silver coin....

And for Early Copper...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    I know that after a certain amount of time, all coins develop some toning. However, I don't totally know how old an untoned coin can be without being "helped." I hear lots of people here praising some coins for having "original skin," and I understand the concept but only have a vague idea of what it looks like. I also assume that not every silver/copper type coin tones the same way, and as somebody who is trying to make a type set, that is very valuable information. What coins can you expect to see without toning? Can a WLH naturally be blast white? If so, how common would that be? And what about a Morgan dollar from the 1880s? Or capped bust coinage?
    Thanks for any help in understanding this - and I would love it if anyone could share coins with "original skin" or even terminal toning (which is a concept I can grasp, but haven't seen many examples of.)
    Edited to add that I was looking for answers pertaining to higher graded coins, such as mid-XF to MS, as there seems to be a much wider range of colors and looks. However, if you have a good example of a lower graded coin with original toning/skin, feel free to share.

A very good question and one that is complex and difficult to answer. While I can appreciate many coins with original skin original is not always particularly pleasant to view. For what I collect, Lincolns this coin has what I like to think of as original skin, however it is not difficult to find Lincolns from the early teens that are blast red and have original skin.

As to your request for a terminal coin, I do not have any closeups so these slab shots will have to do. Very dark, darker than the photos suggest but with strong luster bands under the tone.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

For silver, I think of original skin as only applicable to high AU & MS coins and occurs over time as air and other chemicals come in contact with the coin, such as in a display case, mint bag, album, wrapper etc. Mostly does not progress to a true color, toning stage, and is more like a haze. I think the 1875 coin above is a good example as are some of those 58 mint sets. I think my MS 86-O below has original skin and developed some rim toning.

When a coin is circulated more and comes in contact with dirt, oils on the hands, etc. it becomes what I would just refer to as just a nice original look, but not skin, as the circulation effectively removed the skin. I think the 03S below has an original look & patina, probably from being in a leather pouch or something that imparted that brown look, but does not have any skin left. JMHO.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2022 3:28PM

These three coins have kind of a white, hazy skin. You might describe both of these coins as white, but they clearly different from an actual blast white coin that has been treated or been well-preserved. It's subtle enough that you don't always notice it when you are new to collecting.

There are 62.5% silver, so they tend to develop a "skin" faster than 90% silver.

This 4th coin has been processed and doesn't have a skin. If I see a coin like that, it doesn't look right to me. If the coin was MS68 or 69 then maybe I'd believe it because it could have really never been handled or touched and would be perfectly preserved. But for a coin to be 62-65, it's been handled and probably seen a thing or two. I would expect a coin like that to have a little more character.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU 53 CAC

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    One of the most beautiful buffalo nickels in my collection.

Not only is that gorgeous but it is hammered for a 35-D!

• Options
    edited September 28, 2022 7:48PM

@TomB said:
    I haven't seen in-hand the Lexington that @AlanSki posted, but this issue is famous for having thick toning on both obverse and reverse when the coins were kept in the souvenir box. They often tone with splotches and a green hue and the toning is thick and likely due to the acid in the wood. I don't know the history of the particular Lexington in this thread, but I would be surprised if it were both un-dipped and spent its life in that box.

How’s this for “original skin” lol

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty amazing. I'm glad you edited your post because I was wondering about that fish...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the term applies to BU and AU coins, here is one where the white center has a frostiness that has not been stripped away by dipping and you can see a luster break on the obverse on the cheek, so I would call this original skin.

For circulated coins, the proper question is whether the coin has been cleaned, as Catbert said, which is often impossible to determine because during the past 200 years coins were cleaned with baking soda, retoned, or darkened with ammonia ,etc

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 5:29AM
  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not this B) ...

Unfortunately fake coin and faked toning; not really deceptive yet.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

The term "original skin" is a concept that can't be known with absolute certainty unless a coin is still in some sort of original, untampered with packaging or has been in the possession of its owner since it was minted. Much like original toning/artificial toning it can be almost impossible to discern in some instances.

• Options

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some really great contributions (@TomB, @Roadrunner, among others) to the perennial issue of tarnish on coins. What a great thread. Cheers, RickO

• Options

• Options

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins in here!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel confident this is completely original:

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭

"Original skin" is hard to define, and sometimes, hard to decide on some coins. While easy to determine on others. The 1907 half (a beauty!) above is a nice "super original" example.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file