Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS graded PL but you thought it was DMPL

hello, i am a fan of cc morgans and collect PL and DMPL versions. Alot of times in a listing of a PL coin, the seller describes it as looks DMPL but you know how that goes. the last few PL coins i have purchased (all PCGS recently graded it appears) actually do appear DMPL. I will post some pics later. Please show your PL coin that you were sure was DMPL.

Comments

• Options
    dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

has the standard changed recently at PCGS?

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like pcgs has gotten tighter over the last year or so

• Options

• Options

• Options

3 different coins, what is everyones opinion of these. reverses are same as obverses

• Options

First (top) coin has the weakest mirrors, but if that’s haze in front of Liberty’s face, it could potentially be conserved and go dmpl afterwards. Other 2 coins I could see in dmpl holders. Need to see reverses to confirm

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that in many cases, even good images don’t necessarily give a clear indication as to whether a particular coin deserves a PL or DPL designation.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

this is the first coin reverse

• Options

2nd coin reverse

• Options

3rd coin reverse

i apologize i posted these in poor order....my bad

• Options

Second coin is clearly the strongest shot at dmpl. Easiest way anyone would resubmit would be to just go under a reconsideration tier and choose suffix. I’d take the approach of submitting all 3 under restoration, and they’d all get regraded after the clean up. This way any haze would be dipped off, and you’d have the best chance of dmpl status, with a possibility of an upgrade or a +. Win-win with restoration (imo).

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I think that in many cases, even good images don’t necessarily give a clear indication as to whether a particular coin deserves a PL or DPL designation.

Agree with this and knowing the set up or how the photo was taken. Also note that a PL / DMPL can be determined due to a small area in the fields not meeting the designation. Things like die polish lines don't show up except at certain angles or lighting. Best to have evaluated in hand.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

im not 100 percent sure i didnt screw up the reverses pictures as i posted but here is the obverse full slab shots.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely tighter lately. Stack em and crack em when they loosen up.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but I don't see a DMPL in any of them. Third coin reverse is closest but does not make it.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    Sorry but I don't see a DMPL in any of them. Third coin reverse is closest but does not make it.

bob :)

i definately dont know how to grade but i heard that CAC wont sticker DMPLs if they arent good ones. is this urban legend? i have alot to learn still

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Here are pictures of two 1887 Morgan’s that came from the same roll and submitted to pcgs at different times this year.

I was 99% sure they were pl but I was very happy with the dmpl on one of them.

I know it is tough to tell from the pictures but in hand they look the same to me.

• Options

@Ppp said:
    Here are pictures of two 1887 Morgan’s that came from the same roll and submitted to pcgs at different times this year.

I was 99% sure they were pl but I was very happy with the dmpl on one of them.

I know it is tough to tell from the pictures but in hand they look the same to me.

that is interesting, what grade were you thinking they were if i may ask. the 63 looks equal or better based off of the pics (but we all know you cant grade off of pics) how do they compare in hand??

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Dollarfan: I though they were ms63 or 64 so I am happy with the grade. In hand, even thou I sent each coin in separately and they are from the same original unc roll, I thought they would both be either pl or dmpl not one of each because they look the same to me.
    The good news at least I knew they were at a minimum pl. 🙂

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think we can.provide informed decisions based on photos for a DMPL designation.

I suggest you create a free Vimeo account, take HD videos with your phone, and upload to Vimeo. Then share the Vimeo video link here. This provides an opportunity to see the reflectivity depth of the mirrors. At least then we might give better feedback.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp said:
    Dollarfan: I though they were ms63 or 64 so I am happy with the grade. In hand, even thou I sent each coin in separately and they are from the same original unc roll, I thought they would both be either pl or dmpl not one of each because they look the same to me.
    The good news at least I knew they were at a minimum pl. 🙂

As Catbert stated about dmpl and photos.
    However, your coins might be on the border line or in the grey area between a dmpl and a pl. It could be if you cracked them and sent them in 10 times you might get a 60 / 40 split or similar on the pl / dmpl grade.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dollarfan.... They are nice CC Morgans. Two comments... grading DMPL vs. PL from pictures is, for the most part, not really feasible (with some notable exceptions). However, for commentary, I would not think any of the three would get DMPL from those pictures. JMO. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice CC Morgan’s - regardless Of the designation

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    Definitely tighter lately. Stack em and crack em when they loosen up.

IF the GRADE does NOT FIT, you MUST RE-SUBMIT....... :open_mouth:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file