Home Sports Talk

A fascinating look at the authentication system behind (MLB) game-used items

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2022 8:35AM in Sports Talk

I think you could argue that numismatists, and groups like our hosts, were decades ahead of the curve on this front.

I'm not a sports fan myself. But my son is a huge Aaron Judge fan--went as him for Halloween way back in 2018. His interest and subsequent trips to MLB parks and their fan shops naturally sparked my interest in the collectible side of that sport and hobby.

This is a fascinating peek into how seriously they take authentication, and some of the techniques used:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/21/sports/baseball/aaron-judge-ball-authentication.html

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

you have to log in to read , thanks i'll pass on that

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silverpop said:

You had to log in to read it. I didn't :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, requires a log in.... Any special points of interest in their authentication process?? Cheers, RickO

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

@silverpop said:

You had to log in to read it. I didn't :)

I did not try this one but have had that login thing on nytimes before. Sometimes these things can work off of cookies. So if you had signed up previously and still have the cookie (I delete mine regularly), then you might not have to sign in as the cookie can cover it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

This is a U.S. Coin Forum, not Sports Memorabilia