@beachbumcollecting said:
    most exciting mail day in a while. very happy to pick up these 2

great candy lids what year are those.

• Options

@lwehlers said:

great candy lids what year are those.

those are 72 test, same as 73 but no color similar to the 70 s and not many out there.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rtimmer said:

Can't quite tell because of the shadow, but is that a 1987 scout?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome lids!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judgebuck said:
    Got this 9" x 12" 1953-55 Dormand giant postcard from the last REA auction.

hey judgebuck,
    That's pretty cool... :)

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Love that Mantle photo with the older signature style! Thanks for posting that, DM23HOF!

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    My fellow Mantle collectors will definitely appreciate the thrill of this one. An early era, potentially 1/1 image signed by Mick in that very same era. I had been looking for a piece that featured his rookie era signature for some time. A few came close, yet this was "the one."

Not only is it a contact photo (as those offer phenomenal clarity), but it is also an image of rookie-era Mantle that I have never seen before— signed by him in that very same period. The sheer notion of adding a Mantle item that cannot be seen in every collection is quite exciting!

Big-time grab MattyC. Congrats that is crazy cool!!!

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    Thx, really excited to get it in hand as I am so curious about it. An artifact from that point in his life held by him and signed then as well just tickles my mind.

Also gonna close my month by sharing this fun picture I took of the new yellow Babe beside his bigger bro. Had to photograph these two together.

hey DM23HOF ,
    Oh Wow.... :)

• Options

@rmh111985 said:
    Love me a good Red Label:

hey rmh111985,
    That looks pretty cool... :)

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Thx, really excited to get it in hand as I am so curious about it. An artifact from that point in his life held by him and signed then as well just tickles my mind.

Also gonna close my month by sharing this fun picture I took of the new yellow Babe beside his bigger bro. Had to photograph these two together.

I've looked at '33 Goudey Babe Ruth cards most of my life and until this post never realized that one is an enlarged cropping of the other. Crazy.

Beautiful cards, though! Congrats on some fantastic recent pick ups!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 3:04PM

@AFLfan said:

@DM23HOF said:

I've looked at '33 Goudey Babe Ruth cards most of my life and until this post never realized that one is an enlarged cropping of the other. Crazy.

While the pose is nearly identical, it doesn’t appear to be the same image. For example, examine the right arm and sleeve carefully. And the cap has no insignia on the yellow Ruth.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell exactly when they are artistic images and not photography, but you could be right.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2022 3:18PM

@AFLfan said:
    Hard to tell exactly when they are artistic images and not photography, but you could be right.

What it looks like to me is that the art from one was copied (not by reproduction) for the other. They are way too similar to be truly distinct, but they differ in a lot of minor details.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 3:36PM

The Goudey cards are art based on photo. The yellow and red Ruths are indeed close-ups or cropped from the famous photo pose that also serves as the basis of the 144. Because they are art there are those differences in detail/execution that have been noted.

• Options
    edited September 30, 2022 3:40PM

@DM23HOF said:
    The Goudey cards are art based on photo. The yellow and red Ruths are indeed close-ups or cropped from the famous photo pose that also serves as the basis of the 144. Because they are art there are those differences in detail/execution that have been noted.

Can you explain what exactly that means?

• Options
    edited September 30, 2022 3:43PM

It means the makers/designers of the cards used the famous Ruth "full batting pose" photo as the basis/source for both the 144 card and the 53/149 cards. The former was a more faithful artistic execution of the photo. The artistic vision/execution of the latter two was essentially a crop from the waist up of the batting pose photo.

In other words Goudey did not simply take the artwork that was the 144 card and crop it.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    In just under the wire for September….a nice PSA 9 of one of my favorite obscure 1972-1975 pitchers…Roric Harrison! Makes a nice companion for my ‘73 cello and “Roric Rookie!”

Why is he a favorite?

• Options

That Musial is exceptional! What a super special piece.

I don't think I ever saw an Eric Davis card I did not like. Imagine being in the LA high school system having to face Davis and Strawberry back then? I heard Straw was a nasty lefty pitcher in HS also!

• Options

@daltex said:

Why is he a favorite?

No particular reason. I am not actually pursuing his cards. I purchased the ‘73 cello that just happened to have him showing. The other cards are part of sets I am collecting. But I just like his name and remember it fondly.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@rtimmer said:

Can't quite tell because of the shadow, but is that a 1987 scout?

Yes it is👍

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies