Options

September…………pick ups

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:
    I wasn't looking to purchase this card, but it fell in my lap. I'm happy to add this iconic card to my PC as I sold my 1949 Bowman 2.5 years ago.

hey BPorter26,
    that's a keeper... :)

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another Slabbed Leaf Trevor Lawrence.

Mike
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Pumped to add these early bday presents. Some of the best autos I have seen on each of these years!

Fantastic pick ups ! Well done

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2022 10:50AM

Been a bit of a dry spell for me as I haven't had any luck finding anything. I prefer buy-it-nows but prices have been getting weird on lots lately but did manage to snag an auction of stuff I mostly didn't have.

No real description as far as grading in the listing on individual titles, just listed as Good to Very Good. Usually wouldn't touch anything under VG+ on a lot without detailed grading of each but price was right at roughly 59 cents each including the shipping (which most of the cost was shipping).

Condition wise these are the good with them being in strong VG and a handful of VG+. The VG ones would probably bump a grade if cleaned with an Ultrasonic cleaner (will address that below) as they play fairly cleanly with some light issues on some of them (snap,crackle & pops)..

These are the lower grade ones with a couple hitting what is in my opinion Poor condition.

The Teena Marie and Whispers came covered in mold. I would usually throw out mold covered records but did give a shot at cleaning the Teena Marie one.

Probably toss the Whispers one as the cover is also showing signs of water damage and black moldy spots on the back.

Sonny & Cher ones were also P condition. The Best Of was in Fair shape (barely) and All I Ever Need Is You was beat to H E double hockey sticks with lots of deep scratches.

The Bobby Vinton had a weird oily substance that did clean up but does have crackly playback.

Sly & The Family Stone I had hoped for VG and got G+. Scuffs and scratches but it's an original release (Pitman Pressing) and plays well enough. Probably rip it to digital and clean it up.

All an all a decent lot of mostly playable stuff to add to the hoard. The Village People was a pressing I didn't have so add that to the section of the collection.

And I did mention an Ultrasonic cleaner of which I picked up an entry level one which has had decent reviews from average users. Was so looking forward to using it and unboxed it, looked at the horrible directions and things didn't look right as it didn't match the pictures on the Amazon page nor the instruction sheet.

I did attempt to tighten the motor assembly to the cleaner but as you can see in the pictures the screw goes right into the seam. Could feel it bending inward so stopped and assembly was wobbly which wouldn't work as that needs to be tight and not moving the motor assembly around. Sent it back the next day so I did have an Ultrasonic cleaner for less than 24 hours.

Later scouring thru the questions and answers someone else had asked if the design had changed and the manufacturer replied with Yes. In order to increase the stability of the 6L Ultrasonic Cleaner, the original two holes are changed to one hole. Its lifetime will last longer. I disagree, but what do I know. :p

(EDITED TO ADD)

Just wanted to show the results of cleaning the Whispers album. Decided to use the wood glue method on this one as it was still showing crap in the grooves after my normal cleaning method.

And a shot of the nasty bits stuck to the glue.

Pretty amazing what was still in there after the initial cleaning. Still one for the garbage though as it's got a LOT of light scratches causing too much noise for me (crackly).

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big fan of late 1990's football inserts!

Mike
  • Options

@steel75 said:
    Unbelievable this is what they wore to play NFL football.........gotta love it

hey steel75,
    Cool card... :)

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    two recent pickups

green auto is a pop 1, none higher. these are all beat up on the back black border so high grade examples are tough.

the Nirvana card pickup was inspired by someone elses post.....

Sweet cards!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    I've picked up a few odds and ends this month, but today's addition is worth sharing. I collect anything and everything Gary Carter related. Aside from the items that came directly from the Carter family, my favorite thing to collect is advertising and store displays. Today I added this 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide 1980 7UP store display. The seller found it in an antique shop in Canada about 20 years ago. I absolutely love this thing!

That is the coolest thing I've seen in quite a while. Congrats!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options

That Guerrero lot is awesome!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Congrats, Tim, cool stuff!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2022 5:20PM

@DBesse27 said:

Thanks, Dan! Congrats on the Coke Caps and Venny’s!

When can we see a few?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@DBesse27 said:

Thanks, Dan! Congrats on the Coke Caps and Venny’s!

When can we see a few?

Haha might be months! I have quite the scanning backlog, plus I don’t even have the bottle caps in hand yet.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    These are really tough to find in any grade and, quite frankly, they’re usually not this nice. Added bonus? Two of three are top!

hey 51Wheaties,
    Pretty cool team photo.... :)
    a PSA 3 ? That looks pretty cherry to me ... :)

• Options

@rexvos said:
    Got 2 subs back today. $18 special. (Also had another pop yesterday, while an older $30 sub sits). Results were mixed on these 2. Here are some scans

Near misses

A few more. I knew the Munson was low grade but wanted to slab it. Not sure why they hated the 54 so much

Then the keepers/hits
    The two Mills complete my Topps set of him, did I want 10s yes. But 9s will do, the Parsons is 001/199 and was a throw in to get me to 20. The Demario Davis /25 and he is my favorite current Saints player

hey rexvos,
    Oh yeah on Justin... :)

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    I'm finally scanning this month's odds and ends

hey Kid4hof03,
    Pretty cool on your Cell-O's....love that candy lid... :)

• Options

@handyman said:

Some cherries from a game set and partial 2nd series bowman set with extras

hey handyman,
    You ain't lying with some cherries there...Nice... :)

• Options

@beachbumcollecting said:
    most exciting mail day in a while. very happy to pick up these 2

hey beachbumcollecting,
    Awesome lids... :)