Fake.?

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 6:27PM

Souvenir token. May not even be gold

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

I believe the red book says that any "California gold" coin with a bear on it is a modern replica.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a genuine fantasy. No coin produced in the 1800s ever looked like that.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really looks off to me.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember some of these tokens in 1/4 and 1/2 dated 1852 thru 1856, but do not know whether gold or not. Here is a website describing their creators and why.
    Jim

https://coinsite.com/fractional-gold-coins-or-just-tokens/

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a souvenir token and not a U.S. coin... Likely not gold. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woolworth’s used to sell them for $2 in the 1960s. “When you see a bear, beware.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file