Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My story of coins (an intro)

FrazFraz Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

This forum is my favorite read now. I can’t participate in two, it’s the time, you know. You guys have tolerated me running through here with clownshoes and I like it. It’s only fair that folk know who’s goofing around in the agora. I am not sharp with tyros and I appreciate that any foolishness from me hasn’t invited anyone to mock me yet. However, trainwreck threads compel me to slip my pen almost always. I have little to offer you and I like to look around a lot before I post a question; meanwhile, the serendipitous discoveries are becoming a problem.

I came to post the pics of the sewerGRIT coins after a two-and a-half moon marinade in acetone for PerryHall since he gave me the idea and I had just learned from you guys that acetone was okay for them if they were okay for some of yours. (I know what a kid in the early sixties knew about coins.) I was the most interested in coins one day in April at the New York World’s Fair in 1964 when a 1909 plain cent showed up in my change as I bought one of those sun vanes in a glass globe to take with me. They shared a dresser top until I left home.
The Whitman got back to me somehow (neither early Marvels nor ‘50’s Topps, though) and I then ignored it for forty-five years as a fifteen-liter jug filled with bronze–wheats going to the dresser top. A big Dansco at the thrift shop for nothing woke up my forty-five year hoard of bronze.
Maybe someone can start a thread about how to unfill glass jugs, or for that matter the tale of any difficult coin extraction, without wishing that a glass or a copper magnet were handy afterward. Too much of a distraction to tell it here.
Semi-brained and dangerous I started reading cents. 1982 must have been when my friends and I played penny-ante poker for about three years because I found a lot of that year. There are enough AU, maybe MS, to keep me looking. I do not grade well, the coins are in triage. They wait as I sort the rest and the eighty-pound hoard of wheats serendipity dealt me. I will grade them by year and mint when I am done sorting them. Reading these threads told me that I would do a lot of relooking if I did not use the lessons you guys offer. Three fourths of the sort is done, but I don’t remember where what I have seen went. I have to sort the sort, kinda. I want to show the results of my work when I take the time to look at something closely.

Getting to the point, I can’t find the sewer coins; I stored them therapeutically in a PVC flip and sorted them off somewhere. This thread needs a photo, this one comes from the wheat hoard:

I buy Lincolns on eBay. If you recognize Chapel Hill and my username I want to see your store. Invite me with a PM. I am building a set in the order of rarity in as best condition as I can temper wallet with patience.
I took two rolls of quarters in change from the PetroMart the other day. That’s problem three. I’m glad that I hung here, thanks for reading—Craig

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're not really a 12-step program, but based on some of what I know, read and live ... maybe we should be.

Welcome Craig.

I'm Todd and I'm a NumisMaddict too! :D

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you sort your coins by date and mintmark and then line them up in order from the most beat up looking to the best looking, you will then have no trouble learning how to grade. Once they are in order, just look at the redbook grading guide and it will all make sense. This method works really good in learning how to grade coins.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    If you sort your coins by date and mintmark and then line them up in order from the most beat up looking to the best looking, you will then have no trouble learning how to grade. Once they are in order, just look at the redbook grading guide and it will all make sense. This method works really good in learning how to grade coins.

I used to do the same thing as a kid in the Early-mid 70s, using my 1965 edition of the Redbook, although I wouldn't segregate by date. It really helped me learn to grade circulated coins.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Thanks, marketing is faraway. I doubt that I will profit from this, I know that there are many one and two dollar cents in the sort—I doubt that I can acquire the skills to harvest the potential of this compilation, though.
    I look for the thrill. I have to take care of my eyes, I have overused them.
    Is there a bang for your buck bigger than two rolls of cents?
    Again, thanks, the replies are wind at my back.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your sorting project. It is a task that awaits me some cold, snowy winter day. (I said that last year too.).... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 1, 2022 12:13AM

(Edited: 400,000 to 40,000)
    I did not consider the cost of storing and protecting 40,000 cents, the strain to my eyes, or my bride’s tolerance when I set out.

I filled this with bicentennial quarters and halves thirty years ago. Any good extraction stories? I tend to think that it may have more novelty value as a whole than parts.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

@Fraz I guess the liberty bell is real. And mysterious.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file