Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you were going to start a registry set?

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

What set would you start and why?
Some may find your input helpful !

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Barber half dollars. My father once had a number of them (graded and raw) but for some reason I never had any interest in them. Only recently I began to appreciate them.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    hbarbeehbarbee Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I am not generally interested in registry set competition. However, I selected the registry set that most closely fit my collecting goals (for Lincoln Cents) to serve as my inventory list for a "complete" collection. That way I never have to explain why a coin is or is not in my collection. Since I will only acquire higher value pieces if they are in a PCGS slab, I add those to the registry set just for grins. So as is the case with most things, only about 20% of the population will carry about 80% of the value. That explains why my rank in the registry standings (28th of 101) has a percent completion that is way lower than any other set until you get down to number 56.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've started several because it seemed like a cool idea. Looking at the sets I have, it would seem a lot of things seemed like cool ideas. Usually I have a few of the coins needed, then I decide to make the set. It makes managing a want list pretty easy.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started some Registry Sets last year and this year.

For multiple reasons (modest cost; eye appeal galore; mostly high grade; a wide variety of appearance of the coins; cherry-pickable raw and slabbed; some being difficult but not impossible to find; some being somewhat easy to find; and having a direct connection to my collecting endeavors as a YN 55+ years ago) these Registry Sets are centered around my core collecting area (1936-1970 Proof and SMS coinage).

It has been a fun hobby pursuit.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I’d start whatever set I wanted to, without regard for what anyone else liked, wanted or thought I should do.
    I’d consider whether I’d be OK not completing the set.
    I’d aim for a set that was sufficiently challenging but not (too) frustrating.
    I’d do some calculations and be aware of my financial limitations.

To start with Mark's guidance, I'd look at the cost of any Set I was considering on the PCGS Price Guide.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won't be starting anytime soon, but for me I think mercury dimes next.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:
    To start with Mark's guidance, I'd look at the cost of any Set I was considering on the PCGS Price Guide.

Yes, that’s what I thought, lol. However, after a while, since I can afford higher grade coins than my original plan, I’d end up replacing many of the coins I started with. This is an expensive way to do it, as many dupes get sold at losses, lol.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not interested in starting (or compiling) a registry set. Years ago, when I did some series, I would likely have done a couple. Now I collect randomly, coins I like, for design, history, condition etc. I do like looking at the sets others have built. Some truly impressive sets. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 6:12AM
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of registry sets, but not for competition purposes. It serves as a great place to track information about my collection and, if I choose, I can share a gallery link with others. I am bewildered by the point system used since I don't understand the logic why one particular type is given more points than another regardless of relative rarity. Yet, it doesn't matter really for my purposes.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 8:01AM

I started Registry sets here and across the street about 2 years ago. I decided to add all my slabbed coins across the street first because I had both NGC and PCGS coins and across the street allows you to add both. I then checked out what Registry sets I had the most completion in, and it was circulated type sets. I had been purchasing circulated slabbed coins for a very long time as an unfocused type set and was in the top 10 or 20 in all the circulated type sets both across the street and here for the 19th century sets. So I just kept focusing on 19th century circulated and now I’m ranked #1 in 2 sets across the street and #2 here in 2 sets

Mr_Spud

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint state and Proof Ike in matching OGHs.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I hate, you have inspired me. I just started a 7070 set. :)

My most meaningful registry set is in my sigline. :)

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm basically starting all denominations of modern US coinage registry sets. Currently dimes and quarters because I'm finding some very nice raw examples and because it's a great way to organize and view them.
    Like my other hobby golf it's a slow, tedious, sometimes frustrating and sometimes rewarding process with everything including turnaround times and Tee times.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

A US Type Set. You can do all or 20th Century or 19th Century.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others, it would only make sense to do a 7070 Type set, no gold. I'm a dozen coins away from completion... but they'll likely just live out their days in the album. I imagine the grading fees and time to completion for 76 coins would be prohibitive.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great post!
    As for myself It took off kinda took off by it's self.
    Every so often a dime came up and had eye appeal that I likes.
    So it just happened.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

I want to do a 1964 proof set, just because I like the coins. I might do it in the NGC registry though, because there seems to be more 1964 proof coins in those holders. A more long-term set might be a type set.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

I would start a set called "Inventory Unassigned to Matching Sets" -- just kidding ;)

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2022 12:42PM

How about a Series of Capital Coin Holder Year Proof Sets? eg.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2022 12:56PM

@hfjacinto said:
    I have 2 registry sets but they are at NGC.

The 20th century type set is complete.

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/305403/

The 7070 I am missing 3 coins.

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/305404/

I did it as the cost of some of the coins was more than I felt comfortable buying raw. I am not really in competition with anyone, I buy the coins I like and don't really worry about the grades. Bot my sets are in the 60's which I don't consider really bad.

I also played around with the full registry set (I'm 99) but this one will never be completed.

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/369022/

But to be honest, I would rather put the coins in an album. They just are nicer than in a plastic coffin.

NICE - Your blue album (Whitman?) needs to add a few more pages with holes for the new and ever expanding type set of the 21st century, (just think about the idea of a full 21st century type album - its mind boggling) but I like the concept. All those different Quarter Types: Including the Washington Crossing the Delaware, which should be a Registry Set in its own right!

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 7:32PM

I would start a registry.
    Not just start a registry set, but, I would find a series I liked that was not already represented in the PCGS registry, then I would acquire five pcgs coins from that series, and then I would request that PCGS Set Registry open a registry for that series.
    I would be #1 until others registered their better sets. It would be fun to watch the series grow in popularity.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RegistryCoin said:
    I would start a registry.
    Not just start a registry set, but, I would find a series I liked that was not already represented in the PCGS registry, then I would acquire five pcgs coins from that series, and then I would request that PCGS Set Registry open a registry for that series.
    I would be #1 until others registered their better sets. It would be fun to watch the series grow in popularity.

I did that with British Trade Dollars with Overdates. There was already a set composition without the overdates, but that series is full of them. I have another set I'll request when the time is right.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've started several registry sets with the series/types I liked. I didn't care about being #1, I just wanted to have an online inventory plus the digital albums, which are a huge plus. That being said, I still like working on raw coin sets too, like the 7070 or various Library of Coins albums. I believe that the PCGS registry helped push me to work on the raw coin series too.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would focus on a niche within a set, making it more specialized. Varieites or Toners or a certain style slab, CAC only...something like that. I would want to differentiate myself from all the other basic sets. I would want all True Views...even if you wanted an older slab you can get True Views taken in slab as I understand. I would want to stand out among all the basic white coins, some TVs, some not, etc. Pick a niche to take a set to a new level. Stand out among the crowd.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have built a few sets for the purpose of sharing my coins. I have only met a couple people in real life that collect what I collect. It's another outlet for me to commune and hopefully communicate with others that have similar interests. Not a ton of luck so far though.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold my large cents at EAC St. Louis and looked for something other than counterfeits moving on. I started an NGC set on Vermonts after studying Dave Bower's book and reviewing Syd Martin's collection auctions. The "set" is only 9 coins, not that daunting and full of history cross-linked with other Colonial series.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already have started sets that correspond with my collection focus of half dollars. My half dollars from Barber on are in Capital Holders so do not qualify for registry. I have plans to start one more registry set to include the Draped Bust half dollars. For certified coins, the registry inventory is a nice feature/tracking device.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2022 10:28AM

I would suggest something affordable, easy to complete, in your area of interest, and within budget.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

If you're interested in a 7070 type set, here's an abbreviated version that's easier to complete. I like it because it allows me to focus on coins that I like rather than grabbing a type I don't like just to complete the set.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/setcomposite/950

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did pretty well with a 2021, 2022 personal box of twenty... then lost focus.

If I were to start another, it would likely be a similar approach.

Type set... cherrypicks of varieties, color, or achieved grade.

I am a generalist.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    I'm basically starting all denominations of modern US coinage registry sets. Currently dimes and quarters because I'm finding some very nice raw examples and because it's a great way to organize and view them.
    Like my other hobby golf it's a slow, tedious, sometimes frustrating and sometimes rewarding process with everything including turnaround times and Tee times.

Ever made a hole in one or an albatross (three under par)?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't do registry sets, but if I did, I'd follow Mark's advice. It would be either a late 19th or early 20th century series whose design I found attractive and which didn't have any seriously expensive stoppers, in an AU 55 grade. These are not shot coins, are likely to have original skin, and some luster. In this grade, they usually don't go for obscene money, either.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

The short Walker set from 1941-1947 is always a great set, and it's something that can be completed.....Looks fantastic too. 20 coins in total.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2022 5:25PM

Coming from a Morgan dollar collector, I'd start a Peace dollar registry set. In fact, I did & wish I'd started it before the Morgan registry, which is too daunting in hindsight.

There's no real stopper in the Peace set and there are 24 coins needed.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

A "details only" type set or date set, maybe hole and/or plugged.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file