Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP! Crusty 1942/1 Mercury Dime... one of my favorite varieties

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1942/1 mercury dime is one of my favorite varieties: it's in the Red Book so I've known about it since I was a kid, and it is striking--there's no missing it. The coin has been on my list for a long time, but only within the last year or so did I start to look for one in earnest. My ideal grade based on details remaining and cost (thus maximizing overall value) was an XF. I looked at lots of example and came to realize a few things:

-A lot of the examples on the market are ugly, whether they have chattery surfaces, unappealing color, or something else that results in my not wanting them.
-The above notwithstanding, many sellers still ask premium money for these coins
-A really nice VF can blow a ho-hum XF out of the water any day

With those three thoughts in mind, when I first saw this piece, I paused for a minute. The price being asked was strong, but as a VF35 (PCGS), it was still cheaper than most XF examples. I didn't bite immediately, but I kept going back to look at it again and again. I pinged @MFeld who suggested I call the dealer to confirm the surfaces were as original as they looked in the photos (I'd previously shown Mark other examples, including ones I didn't think he'd approve of, and appreciated the chance to pick his brain about what makes for a really nice example... and what doesn't).

I made the call and bit the bullet. And boy is this a great piece! Super original with wonderful color, nice details for the grade, and really nothing to complain about, especially near the date. I overpaid compared to what a normal VF would go for, but it wasn't that much more, and I got a lot more coin for the money. Just the same, I saved quite a bit by not getting an XF, and I don't think I lost much in the details department with that trade. I certainly didn't see any XF for sale in all the time I was looking I'd have rather had than this coin, even if the prices were the same. Surface quality and color far outweigh a small increase in detail.

Hope you like it!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the bold overdate. Nice addition!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Jeremy! Very well done - I’m glad you’re so happy with the coin. Your patience is admirable and sets a great example for other collectors.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one fabulous 1942/1 example. Amazing!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

VERY NICE! Great example.....

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought the 1942/1 was a really cool coin, as well, and the one you acquired is fabulous!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have stated the ones you can easily see are better. This is one.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, it's one of my favorites too. You don't need a microscope or a vivid imagination to see this overdate. My only wish is that it would have happened on a Walker, since it's a larger coin!

• Options

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Nice coin, it's one of my favorites too. You don't need a microscope or a vivid imagination to see this overdate. My only wish is that it would have happened on a Walker, since it's a larger coin!

If only they could have brought the silver dollar out of retirement to really maximize the size!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

If only they could have brought the silver dollar out of retirement to really maximize the size!

If a silver dollar could have qualified, why not a $20 gold piece? A Pan Pac (or territorial gold) $50, perhaps?😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice example! Congrats.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@airplanenut said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

If a silver dollar could have qualified, why not a $20 gold piece? A Pan Pac (or territorial gold) $50, perhaps?😉

Well a silver dollar has a larger diameter than a gold $20. I thought about the $50, but let's keep this realistic with circulating coins :lol:

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@airplanenut said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

Also they could have encased them in a magnifying glass holder to make it so that even those who are vision impaired would be able to see all the details.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful example, Jeremy!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome piece. Love how original it looks. Love the 1942/1 merc. One I've always wanted from flipping through the redbook. I actually bought an example myself online and it recently arrived. I can't wait till I'm home for the holiday weekend to see it in person.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's also one of my favorite varieties, strangely I still don't have one.
    I like your example there!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice! Great coin.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an awesome example! Congrats!

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

That’s the best one. I can never understand why the 1942/1D is priced so high when the overdate is not impressive, actually crummy

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin, Jeremy.

• Options

@Walkerlover said:

@lilolme said:

That’s the best one. I can never understand why the 1942/1D is priced so high when the overdate is not impressive, actually crummy

All the 42/1-D did was serve to get me excited when it would show up on a search, and then the big letdown when I saw the mintmark.

• Options

@DCW said:
    I've always liked this variety, too. My grandfather got one in his change on a coffee break in the 1950s, and it is a treasured heirloom to this day. Every time I look at this coin, I think about how much joy it must've brought him. How proud he mustve been to bring that home and show my young father.
    Pop's special coin:

The best part of having a coin with a great story is when it’s a great coin, too. Wonderful piece you have there!

• Options

@logger7 said:

@MFeld said:

@airplanenut said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

Also they could have encased them in a magnifying glass holder to make it so that even those who are vision impaired would be able to see all the details.

I bring some of my fun stuff into the office to show a few coworkers. This was the first coin for which I also brought my loupe.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding example!! That is an example that I would purchase. For a circulated dime it's got some great eye appeal. Lady Liberty has an almost cameo effect due to the dark areas surrounding her and the devices. It's just dark enough to look natural. I just don't like the look of bright circulated coins. You did great and the patience paid off.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Hope you bring it to Tukwilla to show off. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut... That is a great coin Jeremy.... Having watched your acquisitions and commentary over the years, I know when you get a coin, it is a good one. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Congrats! Hope you bring it to Tukwilla to show off. :+1:

Just made a note... it's a tough week, but I think I can be sick that Friday ;)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like when history is established and told for a particular coin. I gave in and got my own 1942/1 dime this year:

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

My example. Always loved this variety too. These pics were taken years ago on a Canon S2 IS.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

such a cool overdate. I'll post my 42/1 D just so folks can see how hard they have to squint to see the overdate!

• Options

@kaz said:
    such a cool overdate. I'll post my 42/1 D just so folks can see how hard they have to squint to see the overdate!

...and then still not see it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file