Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How good is the market now?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 28, 2022 6:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Given that coins seem to be doing very well price wise in recent sales from Simpson, Blay and others, how are things in your areas?

I will say that prices in some of my areas have gone to the moon, like multiple times what I would have expected pre-Covid. In the So-Called Dollars area, @FredWeinberg's die sold for $102k and @THOMAS655 just sold a silver So-Called Dollar for $28.8k! Definitely, very strong prices!

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did Ok with sales on great collections tonight. I had $545 invested in 6 coins and they sold for $795. No complaints here.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport PM sent

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2022 6:52PM

Ive done well all year long selling to dealers at shows and to forum members here.

EDIT- As a matter of fact I have to change my sig line soon because I have sold most of my Roosies that aren't in my registry set. Which I made the set before there was such a thing, except for 3 recent upgrades.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearing out my inventory, I'm netting 20%+ more than I expected, so the market is phenomenal for good type coins, and graded stuff with CAC.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm watching auctions on graded average coins on eBay close 50% higher than the highest Coin Facts auction prices for the grade.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins what was the $28.8K SC$1?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overall the coin market seems extremely strong.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my one day visit to the ANA show, business appeared very good. Not crazy pricing but business was being done at strong valuations.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2022 8:12PM

RE.. Double Eagles...

Really Struggling to find anything to buy.

So I guess I'm using old model analytics and the market has left me behind. :(

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

From all I have read, and reports here (even in this thread), the coin market is doing very well indeed. Not sure how long it will last with the economy in recession, but the time is right for sellers. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

People in general are flush with cash due to the pandemic and various shut-downs. They have clearly decided to spend it.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the auctions I've been following I'd say demand/price is extremely strong, particularly for fresh, CAC material in original condition. I placed quite a few strong bids, and they were all outbid.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

It was this unique silver one at Heritage:
    1861 Bombardment of Fort Sumter, Silver, So-Called Dollar, HK-11f, Unique, MS64 Prooflike NGC

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    Clearing out my inventory, I'm netting 20%+ more than I expected, so the market is phenomenal for good type coins, and graded stuff with CAC.

i'm glad to hear that. sure looked like some strong high-end dollar and/or cac prices, even in ngc!

thanks for the few trinkets i was able to squeeze out. i was under-bidder on a few items.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 said:
    Based on the auctions I've been following I'd say demand/price is extremely strong, particularly for fresh, CAC material in original condition. I placed quite a few strong bids, and they were all outbid.

I placed some decent bids in a variety of auctions and was pretty much outbid on everything. I did buy a couple of minor coins and
    I keep wondering if I was the patsy at the poker game?

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market is lousy...prices are entirely too high. Other than a lack of material probably being available a return to 1972 prices would be great--yes, even on what I already own.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2022 11:33AM

It’s fair to tough. Have great sales / nice GM on raw collector coins, slabbed world coins, currency.

As for US Classic so much of it too high imo so not interested unless occasional pickup around CDN bid from Mkt (auc or dealer) sources or say 70 pct CPG my offer from my table on the bourse from walkup sellers.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're selling, I imagine it's a great market to be in. I'm actually considering selling off some of my Morgan Dollar Date set because prices seem to be fairly strong, even for raw silver dollars. Slabbed and CAC'd material is bringing out bidders with deep pockets. Some raw material (Early Copper) is also seeing strong bidding. Out of the dozen or so VF-AU Middle Date LC's I was following over the summer, I didn't bother bidding on half of them... I was out with 3 days left in the auction... and I only won three of the remaining coins.

That said, I won a couple of auctions over the weekend for raw type coins that apparently slipped under the radar. I took a chance on an XF Shield Nickel with Rays that had sub-optimal pictures... but I only bid up to F12 money... I'll have to wait to see how I did on that one. But the raw 1839 Half Dime I won had nice pictures in the auction and looks like a strong VF piece with nice eye appeal... had for VG8/10 money and only 8 active bidders. Not huge "rips" by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad for a lowly collector like me.

Just an observation... I think there are a number of new collectors in the market and they may be gravitating towards slabbed/graded/CAC'd coins since grading skills take time to develop. This, plus a guarantee of authenticity makes buying these coins less of a risk. There are some coins... those in lower grades/ high mintages/ obvious damage/ etc... that it doesn't make sense to slab since grading fees and shipping would chew up any potential ROI. These sell raw, and here's where a good eye and the ability to at least get in the ballpark for grading come into play. Again... this approach might not be for everyone, but I'm collecting Type Coins to put into an album... I'm not doing the Registry Set thing...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@Broadstruck said:

It was this unique silver one at Heritage:
    1861 Bombardment of Fort Sumter, Silver, So-Called Dollar, HK-11f, Unique, MS64 Prooflike NGC

Thank you! :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on what I'm seeing now, I'm glad I took advantage of the 'lull' in 2018 and 2019. This is my example: I bought 2 popular items, a 1909-S VDB and a 1955 doubled die, both attractive and PCGS graded AU-58 with green beans. Fast forward to now and for what I paid for both coins back then might barely get you one of them at todays' procing!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too good.

I get blown out at every auction or pay through the nose. But what else is new?

There was a dark side item that interested me which had sold for around $3,600 previously with the juice. This one had an “x” scratched the field, mentioned in the auction lot description. It sold for $5,500.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@lkenefic said:
    If you're selling, I imagine it's a great market to be in. I'm actually considering selling off some of my Morgan Dollar Date set because prices seem to be fairly strong, even for raw silver dollars. Slabbed and CAC'd material is bringing out bidders with deep pockets. Some raw material (Early Copper) is also seeing strong bidding. Out of the dozen or so VF-AU Middle Date LC's I was following over the summer, I didn't bother bidding on half of them... I was out with 3 days left in the auction... and I only won three of the remaining coins.

That said, I won a couple of auctions over the weekend for raw type coins that apparently slipped under the radar. I took a chance on an XF Shield Nickel with Rays that had sub-optimal pictures... but I only bid up to F12 money... I'll have to wait to see how I did on that one. But the raw 1839 Half Dime I won had nice pictures in the auction and looks like a strong VF piece with nice eye appeal... had for VG8/10 money and only 8 active bidders. Not huge "rips" by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad for a lowly collector like me.

Just an observation... I think there are a number of new collectors in the market and they may be gravitating towards slabbed/graded/CAC'd coins since grading skills take time to develop. This, plus a guarantee of authenticity makes buying these coins less of a risk. There are some coins... those in lower grades/ high mintages/ obvious damage/ etc... that it doesn't make sense to slab since grading fees and shipping would chew up any potential ROI. These sell raw, and here's where a good eye and the ability to at least get in the ballpark for grading come into play. Again... this approach might not be for everyone, but I'm collecting Type Coins to put into an album... I'm not doing the Registry Set thing...

I shipped your half dime today. You'll like it, great coin. I almost kept it, kinda wish I had now. ;)

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should find out soon as I have several coins, tokens and medals, along with some awesome Russian coins coming
    To Heritage auction in the next few months. They won’t be listed under my name but I’ll provide links pretty soon.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@lkenefic said:

I shipped your half dime today. You'll like it, great coin. I almost kept it, kinda wish I had now. ;)

That's you?! I'll have to save you as a favorite! I couldn't believe I got it so cheap! The pictures were excellent too... I put in a "nuclear" bid of around $100 thinking it would realize VF money among the snipers at the end of the auction... they never materialized.

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get much in auctions. I am blown out of the water.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good enough that a dealer has not replied to a coin inquiry that I submitted last week.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i am getting more then the pcgs price guide value for the coins i sold recently

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Often I find that the CAC price guides for seated material are lagging the market and sometimes the PCGS guide!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@lkenefic said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@lkenefic said:

That's you?! I'll have to save you as a favorite! I couldn't believe I got it so cheap! The pictures were excellent too... I put in a "nuclear" bid of around $100 thinking it would realize VF money among the snipers at the end of the auction... they never materialized.

That's me. Unfortunately this is my last week of selling. Get it while the getting is good! Save me anyway, if things don't work out as I hope, I'll be back in full force.

If you sell that down the road and you remember, offer it back to me.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@lkenefic said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@lkenefic said:

That's me. Unfortunately this is my last week of selling. Get it while the getting is good! Save me anyway, if things don't work out as I hope, I'll be back in full force.

If you sell that down the road and you remember, offer it back to me.

Absolutely! I'll give her a good home in my 7070 in the meantime...

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Often I find that the CAC price guides for seated material are lagging the market and sometimes the PCGS guide!

I don't think many people realize that prices in the CAC price guide can actually be lower than the PCGS price guide.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file