Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Non-Silver Morgan Dollars

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 28, 2022 10:49AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan Dollars are very popular coins and so are the off metal varieties!

This thread is to celebrate all Morgan Dollars in metals other than silver!

1878 Morgan Copper Dollar - Judd-1550b - PCGS PR67RB - Elder, Smith, Lemus, Queller, Simpson

1878 Morgan Copper Dollar - Judd-1551 - PCGS PR66RB - Bass, Simpson

1885 Morgan Copper Dollar - Judd-1748 - PCGS PR67+RB CAC - Simpson

1885 Morgan Aluminum Dollar - Judd-1749 - PCGS PR68CAM CAC - Green, Newman & Johnson, Newman

1885 Morgan Aluminum Dollar - Judd-1750 - PCGS PR65 - Simpson

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have any non-silver Morgans... But that copper version is amazing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited August 28, 2022 8:32AM

I just learned this top pop was stolen back in 2019. Has this resurfaced?

NCIC: Finest Known of Only Six Aluminum Morgan Dollars Missing or Stolen

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

The J-1749 must have been recovered since it just sold four days ago in the Heritage auction.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2022 8:42AM

@boiler78 said:
    The J-1749 must have been recovered since it just sold four days ago in the Heritage auction.

Awesome! It's great to have a happy ending to the loss! Cert Verification doesn't show the HA sale yet so I missed it. I added the sale link and the pedigree above.

The Heritage images are very interesting. The video looks pretty similar to the TrueView but the glamour shots give a fairly different view. Always great to have more images as I like to think :)

• Options
    edited August 28, 2022 8:43AM

@BillJones said:
    That's way out of my collecting area. The only "Morgan Dollars" I have that would qualify are the counterfeits collectors have given me for counterfeit seminars.

Does anyone need a 1904-CC? :o There is no silver in this pound puppy.

Good call in the 1904-CC not being silver! :D

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - was not aware of these

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    Wow - was not aware of these

I love seeing new things for me on the forums so I’m glad you like them!

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not quite a Morgan but it kind of fits the thread (it’s not silver).

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

On one of Charmy’s show reports, she showed an aluminum Indian Head Cent. That was seriously cool! These Morgans are also quite interesting. 👍

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2022 10:16AM

I've heard of the copper motor Gans before. Actually got to see one about 2 years ago 🙂

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    Not quite a Morgan but it kind of fits the thread (it’s not silver).

That's a great piece @U1chicago!

Here's your TrueView!

I think we need a thread to research C. M. Whipple some time!

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. Anyone know why Morgans struck in non-silver metals in 1885, some 7 years after first introduced?

• Options
    edited August 28, 2022 10:52AM

@Glen2022 said:
    Very interesting. Anyone know why Morgans struck in non-silver metals in 1885, some 7 years after first introduced?

Very good question Glen!

What you don't see from the photos is that the 1885 coins have edge lettering. These were experimented with to combat counterfeiting that was happening.

Here's a photo from USPatterns.com:

https://uspatterns.stores.yahoo.net/j1748p1960.html

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Glen2022 said:

Very good question Glen!

What you don't see from the photos is that the 1885 coins have edge lettering. These were experimented with to combat counterfeiting that was happening.

Lettered edge might explain it. Really cool coins. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2022 10:54AM

@boiler78 said:
    I added the Simpson 1550b to my collection at the 2022 FUN show auction but I really prefer the copper Morgan half dollar patterns.....

Congrats on the great pick up and half dollars! I'm a huge fan of the Morgan half dollars given the large variety of designs. You have an amazing collection of these if memory serves!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse of the 1916 and 1917 McKinley commemorative gold dollar was designed by George T. Morgan.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I saw the OP title I thought of the "chinesium" versions. I'm glad that I was wrong.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are beautiful coins!

• Options
    edited August 28, 2022 4:29PM

@PerryHall said:
    The reverse of the 1916 and 1917 McKinley commemorative gold dollar was designed by George T. Morgan.

Good point! Here's a Morgan designed gold dollar reverse:

• Options
    edited August 28, 2022 6:03PM

George Thomas Morgan also did a number of So-Called Dollars.

Here's some text from So-CalledDollars.com:

Hiber & Kappen Authors said:
    WYOMING BATTLE & MASSACRE CENTENNIAL

A leaflet distributed with some of the medals contains a copy of notarized statements from Harrison Wright, chairman of the Committee on the Wyoming Memorial Medal and from George Morgan attesting to the mintage figures shown below. The statement from Morgan confirms that "he designed the Wyoming Memorial Medal, cut the dies and furnished the committee with the medals," and that "the dies from which the above medals were struck, have this day [July 15, 1878] been broken...and the fragments forwaded to the committee." A note in 13 AJN 48 reports that the 7 pieces in gold were struck for presentation to Mrs. Hayes (the President's wife) and others, although the official record of the event states that they were intended to be "awarded as prizes in regattas, or for the best displays of civic or military associations."

• Options
    edited August 28, 2022 7:19PM

@Zoins said:

@Glen2022 said:

Very good question Glen!

Here's a photo from USPatterns.com:

https://uspatterns.stores.yahoo.net/j1748p1960.html

By the way, this is a great candidate for something like the Edge TrueView. I hope the owners request it!

The Edge TrueView below happens to be of a gold "Wilson Dollar", another So-Called Dollar done by George Morgan.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file