Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show me a coin you hated having to sell!

bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to sell my SAE dansco not too long ago. Took me quite awhile to fill it but life's priorities took over. Is there a coin or series that you really hated to sell but had to?

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't sold this yet, but am about to.

It's not worth too much, but I love the toning pattern.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

😔

@oih82w8 said:
    I originally purchased her as an PCGS AU53 CAC. Cracked her and she came back PCGS AU55 CAC. Sold her at a moment of weakness.

1818 50C Overton 112 PCGS AU55 CAC

• Options

Some very nice coins all! It's sux when we have to get rid of them. Hopefully they went to good homes.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I typically don't keep pictures of my "Ex's" around... :wink:

But, yeah... I can think of about a dozen or so Morgan Dollars from a date set I had to liquidate to satisfy a tax bill... an XF 1873 Trade Dollar... and a couple of other nice/original XF-AU Type pieces...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 said:
    Sold it back in 99. It was in a 65 holder. It's now a 66

i know i/we have all seen coins that are graded high enough to where there is about no life in them.

your ex-cbh, is the opposite. just from the pics and the apparent lack of contact marks, it looks as though it may have room to move up a bit. what a beaut!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

1909/8 $20 Saints Gauden 😔 just because I have a couple of them; silly isn’t it?

• Options

If I may aske you @daltex Why selling it if it’s not worth too much AND you love the toning???

@daltex said:

• Options

@skier07 said:
    I miss the 1872-CC more with only 83 survivors but the toning on the 1795 $5 is absolutely amazing.

even if one made a really handsome profit, those would be tough to let go of! love the cc.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2022 11:16AM

Probably the killers were some unattributed VAM's in PCGS holders.

Had all the TV's at one point, and half the MS examples.

All the raw examples paid for the cost and reslabbed grading of the unattributed ones.

They are as scarce as the big 14.xx 1878 8TF VAM's

Steadily declined in price as sold, but did net me about $5K.

I still search for them on occasion, but to no avail.

Checking the pop report, others may be looking since MS examples have doubled.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@yspsales said:
    Probably the killers were some unattributed VAM's in PCGS holders.

Had all the TV's at one point, and half the MS examples.

All the raw examples paid for the cost and reslabbed grading of the unattributed ones.

They are as scarce as the big 14.xx 1878 8TF VAM's

Steadily declined in price as sold, but did net me about $5K.

I still search for them on occasion, but to no avail.

Checking the pop report, others may be looking since MS examples have doubled.

i know someone that liked to fancy themselves as a confidant of mine but despite them knowing i am not just a numismatist but a coin detective, offered to attributed some rolls of 1878 coins mentioning up front there are several desirable ones to keep an eye out for, especially in au-unc rolls.

was FLAT-OUT turned down despite having done a few other groups previously that, imo, worked out well for everyone. (i've been turned down on several occasions when offering up this service, surprisingly) actually happened with more than one person, believe it or not. then only to hear these same people whine about tough times with money afterwards. oh how life is FULL of painful ironies. many lessons for us all. to be up-front, i was not offering to do it completely grats, i certainly wanted a small percent for my knowledge/time/effort but would have been a pittance. i have found a few good ones in rolls at shops, long ago.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2022 12:44PM

Tried to find the two coins...

Can't find or remember the exact coin... top pops in a 2019 Quarter.

Sold them both for north of 2K.

Looking back at the pops now, my regrets have quickly faded :)

I sure there is an example somewhere... still racking my brain.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    MS-62 DDR

As a collector of doubled dies and rare die varieties, I feel ya bro👌That’s an extremely tough coin in mint state, and the nicest I’ve ever seen except on CoinFacts. I’d miss her too. When I sell a coin like this, I always have the thought that one day I will replace it, but with an even nicer example. And that’s how it usually works out for me. Unless the coin has drastically gone up in value. At that point I’m SOL, so I just settle for the nicest I can afford, provided it’s at least an earlier die state. Die state sometimes trumps numerical grade for me.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:
    This one really hurt. I wish I didn't have to sell it, but I had to.

Wow! JT, I can totally understand, that is one spectacular buff. I know how I would have felt its leaving my herd.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    I guess I didn't have to sell this coin, but decided to do so since it was an outlier to my collection goals and I decided to use the funds for other coins. Would I've liked to have kept it? Of course and especially since I bought it in November 2021 and then turned around a few months later and sold it back to the dealer. C'est la vie!

Sweeeeet

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    If I may aske you @daltex Why selling it if it’s not worth too much AND you love the toning???

@daltex said:

Kind of hard to explain, but I made a deal. . .

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should have never of done it...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not often sell coins. I have sold some gold sets, back at the peak prices... and a gold error coin... perhaps a couple of others. I have sold when someone really wanted a coin, not because I had to... I enjoyed the coins while I had them, now someone else enjoys them. I will likely sell others someday... Or someone will sell them :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

There should be a "cry" emogi for getting rid of some of these pieces....

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:

:'(

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@lkenefic said:

:'(

d'oh!

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 7:17AM

😭, this one’s balling, which is what I felt like 😂🤣after I sold my AU53 1903-S Morgan, MS62 1923-S Walker, and the AU50 1927-S SLQ. The Walker and Morgan have doubled their value since. The Morgan and SLQ were both undergraded and would’ve easily gotten a green bean or next higher grade if I were to resubmit them. All were highly lustrous blast white coins. Still get sick to my stomach thinking about it 🤢…😂🤣Gotta see if I can locate pics of them, it was about 10 years ago

• Options

Gotta see if I can locate pics of them, it was about 10 years ago
    you find em yet?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold a complete set of PR67 Buffalo nickels to fund an upgrade to an MPL set. I didn’t think it would ever bother me, but I consider it my biggest regret in regards to coin collecting.

• Options
    split37split37 Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭

Not a high grade nor an expensive coin, but I collect color not grade. The funds from this one allowed me to get several higher-end toners. I got this one raw with 2 others (which I still have). I would have preferred to keep all three together. If ever the chance comes up, I'd buy it back.

Here are it's mates. I believe they were all in the same album together; perhaps a Wayte-Raymond National Coin Album?

• Options

Oh Gawd!! Talk about your not-so-great trips down Memory Lane! I have a few, but the one that stands out is an AU 1873 Trade Dollar with amazing details, luster in the devices, and subtle toning. I had to sell the bulk of my collection in 2012 and this piece went with it... I typically don't keep pictures of my "ex's" around.

Fast forward ten years and I've replaced that piece with this one. It doesn't have the same subtle toning of the initial coin and it's not the first year of issue, but it's solid for the grade... unfortunately, if you've been following the price of Trade Dollars over the last decade, I have much more into the new piece that I ever got for the one it replaced! Such is life...

• Options
    TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

It is my avatar...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file